What to make of Malzahn in Mobile, today. Hmm ...

banjeaux

All-American
Jun 6, 2007
Slidell, Louisiana
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/11/guz_malzahn_to_speak_to_new_ho.html#incart_river_default
Gus Malzahn to speak to New Horizons Credit Union 1st and 10 Club today

MOBILE, Alabama - Arkansas State football coach Gus Malzahn, who served three seasons as Auburn's offensive coordinator, will be the guest speaker today for the
New Horizons Credit Union 1st and 10 Club meeting at Heron Lakes Country Club. The meeting starts at 5:30 p.m.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Re: What to make of Malzaln in Mobile, today. Hmm ...

Do you think he wants to get back into that mess at API?

Why does anyone go back? Tubbs? Cheese? Almost BP? Never understood it?

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian

Like Buzz says, anything is possible in this day and age, but I noticed they have had other coaches/former coaches in as speakers on their schedule. Wouldn't read too much into it. Gus would go to 10RC, I believe, before signing on with the U. of Auburn. He knows the climate for head coaches down there is not healthy. But who knows....

timmer0911

3rd Team
Jan 4, 2005
Mobile, AL

Do you think he wants to get back into that mess at API?

Why does anyone go back? Tubbs? Cheese? Almost BP? Never understood it?
Well, if you could go from 850,000 to over 2 mil, would you do it?? Jus sayin??? Money will make people do crazy things!!!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
What to make of Malzaln in Mobile, today. Hmm ...

Well, if you could go from 850,000 to over 2 mil, would you do it?? Jus sayin??? Money will make people do crazy things!!!
He took a pretty substantial pay cut when he left the barn. Money talks, and he could en up there again, but I doubt it....

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama

They'd have to solder Kristi's mouth shut before it would ever happen. Or, they'd have to add her to the Lifetime Hush Fund payroll.
She does like to spout off. The more I think about it, the barn may give Cheezit another year before making any moves. Good coaches are hard to find and great coaches are not going there. After all, there are at least three other SEC schools shopping for coaches right now; competition for good leaders is tight. it would be nice to see them hang on with him for a couple more years.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com

I wouldn't read that much into it. These speaking deals are typically scheduled months in advance. Doing speaking engagements like this create publicity that will help recruiting in a very fertile region, raising the profile of his current program, and raise his own profile.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Betcha y'all all a quarter right now ....

Given the success Texas A&M and, to a lesser extent, Mississippi had against us ....

Given that Auburn still has so many "skill" (I know, with that record, how skilled
can they be?) players better suited for a spread attack ...

Given the success Malzahn is having in his first head gig ...

Given that the biggest hurdle may be figuring out a way that everyone can live with Mrs. Malzahn ...

I believe there's more than a puncher's chance that Gus will be the guy.

Friend of mine with AU connections says that keeping the defensive coordinator is the priority in all of this, but that he doesn't want to be be head coach but will have great say in who is.

Sure, guessing with Auburn's collective psychosis is the farthest thing from an exact science, but the stars may be aligning for Gus like never before.

Last edited:

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA

I wouldn't read that much into it. These speaking deals are typically scheduled months in advance. Doing speaking engagements like this create publicity that will help recruiting in a very fertile region, raising the profile of his current program, and raise his own profile.
Totally agree.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Don't know who the new guy might be, but the sentiment over on ITAT is that most Barners think it was a mistake to change offensive philosophy. I wouldn't be surprised if the new guy is a spread/HUNH type guy.

It probably would be better for their program because there is no way they are going to be able to go head to head with CNS and "beat him at his own game."

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

I believe Auburn will keep Chiz at least one more for a few reason's, one being there are too many vacancies this year.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL

Thanks for the reply but do you really think its all about the money?

I mean you know that they understand the deal, that Dye & his bunch still runs things & that you can't pick your asst coaches either. That your every move is spied upon.

You may be right it may be just pure greed or the belief that they can change anything.

But history has shown that the Head football coach is just an employee.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Couple of thoughts...Malzahn inherited a talented team at AS, I believe they went 10-3 in 2011. They are giving up, on D this year, 27.7 ppg (granted,Oregon and Nebraska skewed the numbers a bit), so I'm not convinced of his abilities on that side of the ball. I hope he goes to the barn...his offense didn't beat Bama in 10, Scam did (with fortuitous help from their defense).

timmer0911

3rd Team
Jan 4, 2005
Mobile, AL

Thanks for the reply but do you really think its all about the money?

I mean you know that they understand the deal, that Dye & his bunch still runs things & that you can't pick your asst coaches either. That your every move is spied upon.

You may be right it may be just pure greed or the belief that they can change anything.

But history has shown that the Head football coach is just an employee.
I'm not going to say it's ALL about the money, but he would be stepping into a program with a lot of talent, a program he knows, and would be probably doubling or tripling his salary. Plus, if he has any kind of success, he can vault his career. Look at Kiffin.....he took a job at a train wreck and then stepped into one of college football's premiere jobs!!
I'm not saying it's all about the money, but it IS about his career. If you have a chance to go to an SEC program from Arky State, you prob have to take it. If he has a choice between Arkansas and Awbarn, well now you make your decision based on other conditions, but if the Barn is his only choice, I think he goes. Just my opinion!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.