How will economic factors play in to coaching hires?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I was thinking about this. With the economy in a slight spiral, jobs being lost, etc, how will this factor in to coaching decisions at universities such as Tennessee, Kentucky, Auburn, etc? If donations are lagging due to the economic issues gripping the country, will this ultimately start affecting how schools dole out cash to coaches as well?

Thoughts?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I know the recession has "officially" hit Shreveport. We did a trade show last week and this weekend that normally brings us excellent profits and it was a disaster. Attendance was down about 40% and those that did show up didn't spend. The people putting on the show said it was the worst turnout they'd had in 20 years. A lot of merchants didn't even cover their booth fee. I think it is about to get extremely ugly in this country and it will start impacting things that even in tough times people would splurge for, such as football. I think football programs across the country are going to have to adjust. How? I don't know.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Let's keep it on topic regarding the economy potentially impacting the hiring of new coaches - any further discussion about the economy otherwise gets this moved to non-sports.

I personally don't think it matters much, at least not to the SEC schools - football revenue absolutely drives the entire AD.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
You sure can't tell it by the ticket prices on Stub Hub.

If a school wants a specific coach they will find a way to make it happen. Remember everyone made fun of Alabama for what they paid CNS, now it appears to be a bargin.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Won't bowl revenue from the conference help?

In regards to the fans, the big money folks will continue to donate. While all of the schools want to get a big name hire, some would be smart to pay less and get someone like Taggart, Dykes, or someone else in a smaller FBS conference.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
With TV revenues poised to go up by as much as $10 million a season, it really makes those buyouts for both hiring and firing easier to swallow. A lot of individual major donors may be slowing down or plateauing their level of giving, but the hefty TV rights increases are really driving the boat. If the television dollars ever slow down or decrease, then I think we would see a lot of schools forced to make tough economic decisions, but that isn't the case now.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
While UT's financial situation has been documented, I doubt it will hamper paying for a new coach. They will reach out to big money donors to fill any gaps.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.