BCS Title Scenarios

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Florida State would be behind LSU.
FSU would get a huge bump with a win over Florida. UF is the darling of the computers. Plus, you would have head to head; FSU > UF> LSU. Plus, FSU 11-1 and LSU 10-2.

If we are going to have a four team playoff, will we have LSU advancing after losing to UF and then UF losing to FSU?

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Florida State and Clemson would be the only 1 loss teams behind Bama in rhm's scenario. FSU faces a big problem; the computers hate them and show it by having them at #17. Clemson is #15 in the computers. If rhm's scenario happened (or something similar), we would have a very interesting BCS countdown show on December 2.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
Not with Alabama in the game. The human voters would put a 1 loss FSU ahead of a 2 loss LSU for a host of reasons.
The human voters already have FSU ahead of LSU right now (not in the AP, but in both the Harris and Coaches polls which count in the BCS standings)!

It is the #17 computer ranking that is killing FSU, not human voters. A win over Florida would certainly give them a bump, but even in the crazy scenario that was laid-out, I don't know if it would be enough of a bump to push FSU past LSU.

Presumably, FSU would slide up to #2 in both the Harris and the Coaches polls and LSU would slide up to #3 right behind them. Right now, LSU is #8 in the computers where FSU is #17. The human polls count 2/3 and the computer counts 1/3. I am not smart enough to figure out which of those two would be #2 in the BCS in that scenario, but I do know it would be very close.

Maybe Brad Edwards could tell you...

On another note...

I think people overlook the fact that for this year and next year, it don't matter what people want to see. We have a documented system in place which will numerically decide the two teams. The pollsters can certainly influence it some, but I doubt we will see drastic flip-flopping taking place in the human polls after the games on Dec 1 just to prevent a non conference champ from playing for the title again.

A reasonably likely scenario to make my point...ND loses and UF beats FSU. To avoid letting UF play the UGA/Bama winner, do we think the pollsters would suddenly drop UF lower in the Harris and Coaches to make a point? If everyone just slid upward like normal, then it would be Bama, Oregon, Florida in that order in both the Harris and Coaches polls. Florida's would almost certainly ascend from the #2 computer average to #1 (ND is currently #1). So Florida's far superior computer ranking is what would have them #2 in the BCS. So do we think the pollsters would deliberately leave 1-loss ND in there at 3 in both polls to push Florida down? Or move someone else ahead of Florida who was just behind them the week before and didnt even play a game?

I just don't think the pollsters would do that. If I'm not mistaken, the Harris and Coaches poll make all their ballots public to avoid just such a debacle. So people in the northeast and the west might not like it, but that ship has already sailed. If ND loses and UF wins, UF is in!

Last edited:

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I want Neuter Dame. I have hated the the "Tying Irish" since 1966. Elephants never forget.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.