Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mike Price retires

UTEP coach Mike Price is retiring after a 31-year career notable for two Rose Bowl bids at Washington State and a drinking binge that cost him the Alabama job before he ever coached a game for the Crimson Tide.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/uteps-p...04--ncaaf.html

I have my doubts as to whether retiring was 100% his idea, but I do rememebr reading his contract was up at the end of this season. Anyway, felt it was worth noting. Bill Curry "retired" at Georgia State as well this year.

In the alternate universe where he doesn't pass out at Sammy's. I wonder how he would have fared? Would we have Saban as coach today?

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame bamachile's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Mike Price retires

The middle Mike of the terrible trio may well have been the best coach. Still, although I wish him nothing but a happy retirement, I have no regrets that he didn't stay longer.
    “Louisiana is a fresh-air mental asylum.”
    ― James Lee Burke, Pegasus Descending

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    Tolerant on TideFans.com

I heard him say on Sirius XM about a month ago that, no matter what else a coach does, in the end it comes down to wins and losses and he could count them as well as anyone. He had a good relationship with his AD, but "you've got to win games." I doubt that this was truly voluntary.

If he had stayed at Alabama, I don't know that he'd have done better using his offense than Shula did do not using it. Perhaps he'd have gotten fired after a lacklaster 2006 season and Mal Moore would still have taken that plane to Miami.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

As Prof, Jess and RGW have noted, Price comes from the same offensive scheme tree as Nuss, Mac, and others. The offense would have been similar as what we see now. The defense would be the question mark. However, didn't Price hire Kines?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    Tolerant on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    As Prof, Jess and RGW have noted, Price comes from the same offensive scheme tree as Nuss, Mac, and others. The offense would have been similar as what we see now. The defense would be the question mark. However, didn't Price hire Kines?
    Except, as best I recall, his offense was very pass-oriented, far more than we have ever been. He did hire Joe Kines. Shula retained most (all?) of the defensive staff, but not as much of the offensive staff.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

Being at the Bryant Conference Center to watch the public firing of Mike Price is still the most surreal thing I've ever witnessed in terms of college football.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
    Except, as best I recall, his offense was very pass-oriented, far more than we have ever been. He did hire Joe Kines. Shula retained most (all?) of the defensive staff, but not as much of the offensive staff.
    If you looked at the numbers from his last year at Washington State, the play calling was pretty balanced. 427 runs to 458 passes. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/...tate/2002.html

Shula didn't retain much of the offensive staff because those were the ones who came with Price, especially his two sons.
    Last edited by DiamondDust; November 19th, 2012 at 03:09 PM.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Ok let me take my company credit card go pay a stripper & buy drinks with my sons.

Wonder if they might fire me?

I don't feel sorry for him at all.

Coaching at Alabama is an Honor & should be treated that way.

Coach Saban won't even drink wine at dinner, he understands the awesome responbility.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Depressed on TideFans.com

The "logic" behind the Price hire was that he had done more with less as Wazzu is in the middle of nowhere. I suspect he was in over his head from day one, and his off the field actions made that clear. I think he would have basically been Shula- esque in terms of record and DuBosian in terms of libido. I have been told by the folks I bought my house from - and who had a son who was an attorney in the compliance dept when Price was hired - that they literally sat him down and explained what was unacceptable including evasive answers.

He didn't get it - obviously, as I've also been told that public instance was not the first time he'd done something similar.

Given that track record, we are fortunate we didn't get another hammer. I look at Mike Price as a contemptible fool who got what he asked for. I don't know anything about Price since he left other than what I read here. He is a big zero to me.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again
    But until that day you know you are
    The queen of my heart

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Maybe Bucket Step Bob's techniques would have worked better in Price's offense than they did in Shula's? Off all the offensive coaches let go, the one (and a really bad one) that Shula keeps was Connelly.

BamaNation Hall of Fame lafella's Avatar

He got a Rock Star complex in a Bible Belt World. Doubtful we would have Saban right now I would think if he had even stayed a year. Glad it didn't work out
    Hey Daddy why doesn't Auburn have a number beside their name? 5 year old son during the iron bowl.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Mike Price retires

Bama sure paid his way down here in Pensacola. He should have just retired that night
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation First Team gtowntide's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

He was in over his head from day one. No way would he make it.