How would you feel if Coach Saban hired Derek Dooley?

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I don't know, what do you think, if there is an opening? Are you ok with Dooley on board?
tough for me to have an informed opinion.....his only body of work that I'm familiar with is at ut. I know that not everyone is cut out to be a head coach, or even a coordinator. So, if he's a fantastic position coach, then by all means....

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
If that happened, I would feel he should have tried to get Sunseri back instead. That's whose departure seems to have left a bit of a void, IMO.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Too be fair..What he walked into at Tennessee was a culture of thuggery leftovers from Kiffin..A lot of those great recruiting classes Kiffin had never made it to campus & the ones that did had really bad attitudes..No matter who the HC was..It was going to take more than 3yrs to fix the mess Kiffin ran away from..I honestly don't think he's a bad HC..He just wasn't ready for the magnitude of problems he took over..A seasoned disciplinarian type HC was what was needed after Kiffin left..

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
I would be ok with having Dooley as an assistant. It worked out when Dooley coached under CNS at LSUWHO. I think he's a pretty good assistant. I think he would do really well recruiting. He had to clean up Lame Kitten's mess at Tennessee. I can't hold him entirely responsible for what happened at Tennessee considering what he walked into.

If he's good enough for CNS, he's good enough for me.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I would feel better if he was put in an off-the-field position, like 'assistant director' of football operations or something like that.

Last edited:

Bob Minton

1st Team
Dec 4, 2011
I have no problem with him or Sunseri. Sunseri left for a promotion (even though it was Tenn...) so i'ts hard to blame him. I'd expect Dooley would be short term though as within a year or two I figure he'd be back to being a HC somewhere. In that short term though they both might potentially help with some UT recruits we may have interest in. (I've not looked a a list, just saying potentially) Not that we'd hire anyone from the Barn, but there may be a recruit or two there looking to rethink things if Chizik gets canned.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
I have no problem at all with either Dooley or Sunseri returning to Alabama.

I also have no problem with it if their Bama salaries are set such that UT is paying the bulk of their salary while they coach for Bama. :smile:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Only if we had a vacancy.

Senseri & Dooley are both good 'position coaches'. We could do worse.
In our distant past, we have done worse...
If Coach Saban wants one or both of these guys, and we have an opening... Yes.
Recent history... Coach Saban re-hired Lance after his ill-fated stint at Tennessee.
Lance filled a need, and Coach Saban was familiar with him and his abilities...
Same With Sal & Derek.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Too be fair..What he walked into at Tennessee was a culture of thuggery leftovers from Kiffin..A lot of those great recruiting classes Kiffin had never made it to campus & the ones that did had really bad attitudes..No matter who the HC was..It was going to take more than 3yrs to fix the mess Kiffin ran away from..I honestly don't think he's a bad HC..He just wasn't ready for the magnitude of problems he took over..A seasoned disciplinarian type HC was what was needed after Kiffin left..
He walked into a tough situation, but he did himself no favors. The Vols have progressively gotten worse every single year. And he has no excuse to be as bad as they've been. They've got a LOT of NFL talent on their roster, top 5 in the SEC for sure.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I would not at all be surprised if it did happen and we see some changes in coaches being moved around next year. Not saying that it will happen (nor that it should happen) but I would not be surprised. Derek Dooley has been very loyal and has a ton of respect for CNS and remember that CNS and his family are good friends with the Dooley family. I think they may have lake property in North Georgia close to one another. I do wonder if Dooley joining the Bama staff would require more work hours of him than he required of himself at UT? :)

Also, remember that Coach Sal Sunseri will be looking for work as well and CNS is a big fan of his and I do not believe any bridges were burned when left Bama for UT
He did not buy a house there...only rented an apartment.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.