Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

1969 Alabama vs Ole Miss Shootout

Hey fellow fans, i am currently writing a novel and this game is a major plot point of the book. I was wondering if any of the old timers would care to share their memories from the game with me. Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1969 Alabama vs Ole Miss Shootout

I was there. Great game, no defense. Manning and Hunter had a shootout. Do not recall the exact statistics but IIRC there was close to 1,000 yards in total offense. It was one of those games where you knew whoever had the ball last was going to win. Time ran out on Ole Miss who had the balling and was driving. Receivers, David Bailey and George Ranager both had great games as did Ole Miss's Floyd Franks, I think that was his name. A far cry from the 1968 game which I believe Ole Miss won in Jackson 10-8. Hope that helps. I am sure there are others who were there or watched it on TV.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched in on TV. I think Hunter was something preposterous like 30-38.

Archie ran around like a big colt after throwing its rider and kicking down the barn door. It was one of the first, if not the first, college night games televised nationally.

I remember Manning as he walked off the field, absolutely and completely spent.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the quick replies. I was also wondering if it was John Forney and Doug Layton that did the game on the radio.

BamaNation Third Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you call Scott? He lives in Daphne and works a a Financial Consultant for Raymond James. Might see him tonight at a REC meeting and I'll tell him about your post.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fjc666 View Post
    Why don't you call Scott? He lives in Daphne and works a a Financial Consultant for Raymond James. Might see him tonight at a REC meeting and I'll tell him about your post.
    Thanks man. That would be excellent. I live about an hour and a half from Daphne.

BamaNation Third Team
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife just reminded me that the REC meeting is NEXT Monday. I'll still mention it to Scott if he comes to the meeting. Remember reading about the game but I was tied up with a few pressing situations in Viet Nam.

BamaNation First Team 1958againbear's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was there. Unbelievable game. Of course Bear said to Vaught afterwards that it was the ugliest game he'd ever been in, and he was right (exciting, yes - remind you of offensive shootouts these days?). We were highly ranked and unbeaten (I think), but we were already in our late 60s downslide where we were great offensively but no defense. But us fans didn't realize it. We thought we were the best (why not? we had dominated the 60s) after taking down Ole Miss and Archie. Then, BAM! Next week Vandy 14 Bama 7. Hello reality: the end of the 60s and early 70s, when Steve Kiner the UT LB even said to Bear after they blew us out that our guys didn't seem to have the same pride any more, or something like that. So, yes, I remember the game well, but I think I remember more the rude awakening that we Bama fans experienced after the game once we realized we weren't at the top any more. It was tough after we had been at the top for so long and felt that any Bama team that Bear put on the field could compete for the NC. So that's what I remember: the game, but maybe more the deflation that came after and the new reality. It was painful and made more so by the barn's whipping us at the end of the season. Hope this helps, coming from this perspective.

BamaNation All-American 1FitToBeTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

A few stats from the game:

Ole Siss 7 0 13 12----32
    Alabama 7 7 7 12----33

1st Downs UA 23 UM 30
    Rush yds UA 190 UM 173
    Pass yds UA 300 UM 436
    Total Off UA 490 UM 609
    Passes UA 22-29-0 UM 33-53-1
    Punts UA 45.6 UM 47.5
    Yds Penalized UA 51 UM 22
    Fumbles UA 0 UM 1

Scoring:
    A--Musso 1 yd run
    M--Manning 2 yd run
    A--Sawyer 17 yd run
    M--Franks 11 yd run
    A--Musso 1 yd run
    M--Manning 17 yd run
    M--Myers 2 yd Manning pass
    A--Hunter 1 yd run
    M--Manning 1 yd run
    A-- Ranager 14 yd pass Hunter
    Legion Field attendance: 62,858

The last five scores came with failed extra points. Bama had 2 failed 2 pt conversions. Ole Siss had 2 failed 2 pt conversions plus a kicked extra point that missed, providing the difference in the score.

My wife and I were there and believe me, if you weren't worn out after being there, you must have been in a coma for the entire game. A previous poster mentioned that it was a landmark game for tv, and that was so because it was the first regular season game televised at night.

"When you are arguing against Him, you are arguing against the very power that makes you able to argue at all." C.S. Lewis

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth thrown in. Aim at Earth and you will get neither." C.S Lewis

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the best games of all time!

Post Thanks / Like

I was there, too. Night game, Tv and it was a big deal. Screaming crowd the whole game. it was really hyped up (newspapers, radio, TV only of course), and it lived up to the hype. I took a girl who didn't understand football and had to yell constantly to explain things to her and was totally hoarse for a couple of days.

Post Thanks / Like

I was there, Legion Field. Electric atomosphere. I was 11 at the time. My dad, who graduated from U. of A. Law School, took me to the game. I remember how impressed he was with Archie Manning. Archie practically carried the Ole Miss offense that night. Fortunately for Bama, Hunter was on fire too. On 4th and 14, Hunter hit George Ranager for the winning score. Everybody who saw the game knew they had witnessed something historic.

BamaNation First Team bamatex82's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

ESPN Article on First Televised Primetime College Game

Quote:
    "In those days, ABC televised a dozen or so games a season, and set most of the schedule by April 1. Arledge contacted Bryant and Vaught in the early part of the year and sold them on the idea. Arledge sent a technical crew to Legion Field, where Alabama played its biggest games, to perform a site survey.

When the crew returned, Arledge called Bryant. ESPN analyst Beano Cook, then the ABC publicist for college football, happened to be in Arledge's office as he spoke to Bryant. Cooke recalled the conversation as follows:

"Coach," Arledge said, "we're not going to be able to do the night game because the candlepower of the lights is not strong enough. Do you think you could do something about it?"

"Don't worry about it," Bryant replied. "I'll talk to the mayor. If he won't do it, he won't be re-elected."

"Bryant talked to somebody," Cook said. "We sent somebody to check the lights again. They were good enough. We did the game."

For the record, Birmingham returned Mayor George C. Siebels Jr. to office in 1971."