Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation Third Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1969 Alabama vs Ole Miss Shootout

The game did not kick off until shortly after 8:00PM and lasted almost four hours.The student section did not sit down during the entire game.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thetwonewguru View Post
    Hey fellow fans, i am currently writing a novel and this game is a major plot point of the book. I was wondering if any of the old timers would care to share their memories from the game with me. Thanks in advance.
    If I'm not mistaken it was the first game to be televised in prime time. As for me I watched it on a black and white tv, (I'm pretty sure it was in color), and was wearing a pair of white pants. When the game was over there was a noticeable streak on each thigh area of my pants where I'd nervously rubbed my hands up and down.

The next year, (1970), Ole Miss destroyed us and during that game I broke one of my mother's antique chairs when I slammed the arm of the chair with my hand. After that I was banned by my parents from watching Alabama football at home.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigBama76 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken it was the first game to be televised in prime time. As for me I watched it on a black and white tv, (I'm pretty sure it was in color), and was wearing a pair of white pants. When the game was over there was a noticeable streak on each thigh area of my pants where I'd nervously rubbed my hands up and down.

The next year, (1970), Ole Miss destroyed us and during that game I broke one of my mother's antique chairs when I slammed the arm of the chair with my hand. After that I was banned by my parents from watching Alabama football at home.
    That's funny. I had a similar reaction in 1973 when we played ND in the Sugar Bowl. I didn't handle it well.

As far as the Ole Miss game, besides all that has already been mentioned, does anyone remember them repeatedly showing one beautiful young lady in the Bama student section? Why that stands out, I have no idea.

BamaNation Second Team AustinTider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

I was there! I watched Archie warm up before the game and I swear to this day the ball had a "hissing" sound when it came out of his hand. The guy catching his warmups was grimacing with each toss! The team that had the ball last that night was the team that was sure to win because both QBs were unstoppable. The next week Scott Hunter was as bad as he could be in that loss to Vandy 14-10 in Nashville.
    Night game and I was on the 50 yd line 12 rows up. Get chills thinking about that game still.
    Death Valley Baton Rouge, La. "Where dreams come to die"

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Psychedelic on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by AustinTider View Post
    I was there! I watched Archie warm up before the game and I swear to this day the ball had a "hissing" sound when it came out of his hand. The guy catching his warmups was grimacing with each toss!
    I know for a fact that Joe Namath's passes hissed big time. Don Maynard said he had bruises from Namath's passes to him for the NY Jets. This was covered on the HBO special called "Namath."

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

What I remember is watching it that night on a black and white 13" set, it was my new Wife's first time to see a football game (she is from Scotland) I was in the Navy stationed in Norfolk.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all your responses.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired on TideFans.com

I was a freshman in high school and watched the game from a family friend's cabin on the Choctawhatchee River in NW Florida. My family, particularly my dad was a die hard Bama fan but since I'd grown up mostly in Florida, will admit my alegiance was weak to mixed--probably a closet Gator fan at the time. What I remember from the game is just how much the competitive spirit of Archie infected me and will admit that he was my football hero from that day on. While I'd started out somewhat ambivalent about the outcome, I found myself pulling for OM down the stretch much the the dismay of my dad. I remember feeling drained at the end of the game and disappointed that Archie had had to lose not that OM had lost. I remember seeing him the following year play against LSU I believe with a large cast on his arm which severely limited his famous mobility but not his heart. I always felt badly that he played through his NFL prime with a woeful Saints team. Would love to watch this one again!