2012 College Football Awards & Finalists

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Bednarik Award
(Presented to the college defensive player of the year by the Maxwell Football Club)Jadeveon Clowney - South Carolina - Defensive End - Sophomore
Jarvis Jones - Georgia - Linebacker - Junior
Manti Te'o - Notre Dame - Linebacker - Senior

Biletnikoff Award (Presented to the nation's most outstanding receiver by the Tallahassee Quarterback Club Foundation)

Stedman Bailey, West Virginia University
Marqise Lee, University of Southern California
Terrance Williams, Baylor University

Bronko Nagurski Trophy (Presented to the nation's most outstanding defensive player by the Charlotte Touchdown Club)

Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia
Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame
Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State

Davey O'Brien Award (Presented to the nation's best quarterback by the Davey O'Brien Foundation)

Collin Klein - Kansas State
Johnny Manziel - Texas A&M
Braxton Miller - Ohio St.

Doak Walker Award (Presented to the nation's premier running back by the PwC SMU Athletic Forum)

Montee Ball, Wisconsin
Kenjon Barner, Oregon
Johnathan Franklin, UCLA

Jim Thorpe Award (Presented to the nation's best defensive back by the Jim Thorpe Association)

Johnathan Banks, Mississippi St.
Dee Milliner, Alabama
Phillip Thomas, Fresno St.

Lou Groza Award (
Presented to the nation's top place-kicker by the Palm Beach County Sports Commission)

Dustin Hopkins, Florida St.
Cairo Santos, Tulane
Caleb Sturgis, Florida

Mackey Award (Presented to the nation's most outstanding tight end by the Nassau County Sports Commission)

Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame
Zach Ertz, Stanford
Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington

Maxwell Award (Presented to the college player of the year by the Maxwell Football Club)

Collin Klein - Kansas State - Quarterback - Senior
Johnny Manziel - Texas A&M - Quarterback - R-Freshman
Manti Te'o - Notre Dame - Linebacker - Senior

Outland Trophy (Presented to the nation's most outstanding interior lineman by the Football Writers Association of America)

Barrett Jones - Alabama - Center
Luke Joeckel - Texas A&M - Offensive Tackle
Jonathan Cooper - North Carolina - Guard

Ray Guy Award (Presented to the college punter of the year by the Augusta (Ga.) Sports Council)

Ray Allen - LaTech
Scott Kovanda - Ball State
Kyle Christie - Florida

Rotary Lombardi Award (Presented to the college lineman of the year by the Rotary Club of Houston)

Jadeveon Clowney - University of South Carolina Defensive End
Barrett Jones - University of Alabama Offensive Lineman
Jarvis Jones - University of Georgia Outside Linebacker
Manti Te’o - Notre Dame University Inside Linebacker

I'll add the Butkus, Rimington, and William V. Campbell Award finalists as they become available.

Update: Butkus Award Finalists announced today:

Dion Jordan - Oregon
Manti Te'o - ND
CJ Mosley - Alabama
Jarvis Jones - UGA
Kevin Minter - LSU

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Surprised to see Jones in the running for the Outland again this year. He has not had a dominant season at center.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I'm kind of surprised not to see Shelley as a finalist for the Groza award, considering that he's the only kicker in FBS that hasn't missed a kick all season.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Surprised to see Jones in the running for the Outland again this year. He has not had a dominant season at center.
Can you define "dominant" as it pertains to a center? His snaps are pretty good, he's not getting owned by guys bigger than him. He calls the protection, what more can he do?

From my phone with Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Outside of the A&M game, I do not recall a game where he's had an extreme amount of problems.
I'm kind of surprised not to see Shelley as a finalist for the Groza award, considering that he's the only kicker in FBS that hasn't missed a kick all season.
I was thinking about this while listening to the game Saturday. The reason he isn't a finalist is probably because he doesn't do all the kicks. If he did the long distance kicks and kick-offs, I would expect him to be a finalist.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Jones has the chance to be the most decorated lineman in Bama history. That's kind of a big deal.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
It is a shame. He hasn't had to kick that many field goals this year. He only has 10 field goals, guess it was good we didn't need him as much this year. I think the other guys have double that.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
If you have a bucket list this awards show should be on it. If you can find a way to be at Disney Dec 6 th you will never regret it. Wife & I went last year & had a wonderful time. I won't rehash it but not only the players but their parents & coaches are there & everyone was so nice.

I was able to play flag football with Warren Moon & Doug Flutie & this experience ranks just under that.

jdatide

1st Team
Nov 15, 2007
Carlisle, OH
I know I'm biased, but shouldn't a National Championship Ring and a chance for another count for something in the Davey O'Brien Award? Would you take any of those 3 finalists over AJ for the remainder of our season?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.