JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Auburn preview: Bama wants to channel memories of 2011, not 2009
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
November 20th, 2012 02:16 AM

By Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief Nov. 20, 2012   It’s deja vu all over again.   Not only is Alabama back in the thick of the national title hunt a week or so after losing a late-season SEC game at home, but the Crimson Tide gets to face Auburn with BCS hopes on the line. [...]

Read More Here

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Good analysis Jess, thanks. I said in another thread we need to put them away early. We cannot let them hang around within 7-10 points starting the 4th quarter. I think we win but it will likely be closer than most expect.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Good analysis and pick! We'll get their best shot IMO. Hopefully our offensive woes (3 and outs, passing inefficiencies, etc.) have been solved with a couple weeks of practice.

As GrayTide suggests, we need to put our foot on their throat early and destroy any hope they may have to stay in this game.

We do that and we may get to rest some of our #1's to get more healthy for Gawga!!!

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Probably the scariest comparison would be to look at this game in the context of the 2002 game, in which an out-gunned Auburn team shocked an Alabama team in Tuscaloosa, all while Dennis Franchione was negotiating with Texas A&M behind Alabama’s back.
Dang man, you trying to test our tickers or what ;)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Even that 2002 Auburn team wasn't that outgunned. They had a lot talent besides just Brown and Williams...

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
I am just not seeing why so many think that *U is capable of keeping this thing close. I don't get it at all. I know that they pulled an "upset" 10 years ago, but go to YouTube and watch highlights of that game. Entirely different situation. That *U team was not winless in the SEC by any stretch of the imagination. That *U team came within an eyelash of beating USC in LA that season. That *U team blew out LSU. That team finished with 9 wins. We finished with 10. I think we were a bit more evenly matched that season. But, that's just me. I can understand not taking any team for granted, but *U is not going to pull off what would be the biggest upset in college football history.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Probably the scariest comparison would be to look at this game in the context of the 2002 game, in which an out-gunned Auburn team shocked an Alabama team in Tuscaloosa, all while Dennis Franchione was negotiating with Texas A&M behind Alabama’s back.

Well, on the plus side, I don't think Texas A&M is in the market for a new head coach at the moment!
:biggrin:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I am just not seeing why so many think that *U is capable of keeping this thing close. I don't get it at all. I know that they pulled an "upset" 10 years ago, but go to YouTube and watch highlights of that game. Entirely different situation. That *U team was not winless in the SEC by any stretch of the imagination. That *U team came within an eyelash of beating USC in LA that season. That *U team blew out LSU. That team finished with 9 wins. We finished with 10. I think we were a bit more evenly matched that season. But, that's just me. I can understand not taking any team for granted, but *U is not going to pull off what would be the biggest upset in college football history.
The LSU and the aTm games should tell you all you need to know. The game still has to be played on the field. Not on paper. I remember reading predictions on this board going into the LSU game that had us blowing out LSU. I then saw just as many predictions on us blowing out aTm.

This is a rivalry game and anything can happen to impact the flow of the game. If we come out focused and execute this game SHOULD BE over by the half. If we don't then all bets are off. We'll be right back in the situation we were in against LSU and aTm. Having to play a full four quarters.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Thanks BB. There are a lot of posters who think all we have to do is roll our helmets out onto the field and au will assume a fetal position. These posters apparently didn't see the same team we saw against LSU and TAMU. Yes we will win, but we have to score early and often or they will take us deep into the 4th quarter. Assume nothing.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Thanks BB. There are a lot of posters who think all we have to do is roll our helmets out onto the field and au will assume a fetal position. These posters apparently didn't see the same team we saw against LSU and TAMU. Yes we will win, but we have to score early and often or they will take us deep into the 4th quarter. Assume nothing.
The scary thing is we have a large number of fans who seem to never learn. Granted I'm not saying we ought to not be confident going into a game. But good lord. It seems it never fails when we have a large number of blowout predictions from our fanbase going into certain games it rarely turns out like the predictions.

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007
Quite honestly, I'm a little nervous that no one is giving au a chance....we should win, but gosh there is a lot on the line in this game.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
We are talking about Auburn here right? Winless in the SEC...Auburn?

Not a very physical 10-2 LSU team at Tiger Stadium. Or a very good Heisman candidate, QB, where we had a good defensive second half against and had a chance to win the game. Not to mention an undefeated team on the road.

Just checking.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Quite honestly, I'm a little nervous that no one is giving au a chance....we should win, but gosh there is a lot on the line in this game.
My gut tells me we smash auburn. But history has proven me wrong enough times that I dang sure ain't guaranteeing anything. College football is so unpredictable. Who would have thought a 4-5 Baylor would have blown out K State in their own backyard? Strange things happen at the end of every college season. I'm just hoping the Iron Bowl tomorrow isn't one of them.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
My gut tells me we smash auburn. But history has proven me wrong enough times that I dang sure ain't guaranteeing anything. College football is so unpredictable. Who would have thought a 4-5 Baylor would have blown out K State in their own backyard? Strange things happen at the end of every college season. I'm just hoping the Iron Bowl tomorrow isn't one of them.

Biggest difference, Baylor is #2 in total offense....Auburn is #112. You can't make an excuse for those numbers as just stats.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Biggest difference, Baylor is #2 in total offense....Auburn is #112. You can't make an excuse for those numbers as just stats.
The game has to still be played is the overriding point. Odds are we'll kill auburn. But as posted above, I doubt just rolling our helmets out there is going to do it. The unexpected is always in play in late season games. I've watched too much college football to think otherwise. Will it in this game? I don't know and I hope not. I hope the game goes as the point spread indicates. But it would not shock me one bit if the game was much closer than many think.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
The game has to still be played is the overriding point. Odds are we'll kill auburn. But as posted above, I doubt just rolling our helmets out there is going to do it. The unexpected is always in play in late season games. I've watched too much college football to think otherwise. Will it in this game? I don't know and I hope not. I hope the game goes as the point spread indicates. But it would not shock me one bit if the game was much closer than many think.
Yeah we will definitely not be able to just come out on the field and have them lay down. I don't care what the score is, I just want our guys healthy for next week and a win.

I am also not one that is predicting in the 40-50's I still think we stay in the 35 point range...but that is a blowout to me.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Well, if we let a true freshman QB who's only in his 4th start, and who was shut out by Georgia at home, give us a game than that doesn't say much about us. Thankfully, the chances of that happening should be about the same as Gene Chizik getting a raise this year.

I don't think we cover the 34 but there's no way I see us winning by an less than 17. Auburn has not showed me anything (sans LSU at home early) that they are capable of playing any decent team close. You can't ignore that. If I'm wrong, so be it.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.