Question: What was your most memorable Alabama vs. Auburn game?

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
Several contenders:
--"I waxed the dude" was there as a student. Loved it!

--85 - Was in grad(ual) school @ UA, & thus sitting in the student section. Just incredible.

--The next year (I believe...can't recall dates so well any more...;)) when Bo ran all over us for nearly 300 yards. I know; we lost. But that remains the single greatest game performance I've seen live & in person.

--The honk-if-you've-sacked-Brodie game in BDS. Again, I know; we lost. But my son & I scored tix to that when he was in HS & we went. Had a blast despite the outcome.

Those are my faves that I saw live & in person. My fave tv game would be the 36-0 game; total domination. Got a hunch this year's may jump up near the top of the list...:)

(dis-honorable mention: punt-Bama-punt game. I was in jr. high; our HC/A.D. was A.C. Langner...whose son David scored the two TDs. I'll give everyone ONE guess who our guest speaker was @ the athletic banquet the next Spring...and what highlights we saw broken down in great detail that night. :( My Dad was somewhat chapped about it, as was I.)

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
The 1958 game that Auburn won 40-0, running up the score gleefully against a really rotten, winless Alabama team led by a pitiful old coach who had already been fired....

That was the game that decided me to go to Alabama and made me for all eternity hate all things Auburn.

RTR
'63, I believe you're off by a year. It was 1957 they curb-stomped us. 1958 the score was 8-14, University of Auburn.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Most memorable is the Punt Bama Punt Game. I caught more grief over that game than any in history.

My most memorable favorite personally is the last drive against AU in 09. "The Kick" was cool but we weren't very good and I'm not into celebrating upset wins over Auburn.

sip

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The 1958 game that Auburn won 40-0, running up the score gleefully against a really rotten, winless Alabama team led by a pitiful old coach who had already been fired....

That was the game that decided me to go to Alabama and made me for all eternity hate all things Auburn.

RTR
That's mine also, but it wasn't 1958; it was 1957. I was a freshman at the time. It was also the coldest football game I've ever attended. My blanket didn't help. I left midway of the 4th quarter, but I couldn't get warm even down in the parking lot...

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
The 1994 Iron Bowl has been my favorite that I've actually been old enough to witness. There are sheets of paper wider than the amount in which we stopped Frank Sanders on that fourth down play late in the fourth. We should've won going away, but turnovers kept also undefeated Auburn in the game until we finally put it away. One of the most exciting first halves in Alabama history.

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL
I see a lot of references to the 1996 game. One of my faves as well. I was close to the end zone where Riddle scored. Crowd was just deafening.

I also REALLY enjoyed the 94' game. It was an exciting game, the one that ended with Bama taking a knee after the barn came up millimeters short on a last-ditch fourth down attempt. But the BEST part was my barner brother in law storming out of the stadium and making an absolute jerk of himself on the way home.

Alajambama

2nd Team
Jul 25, 2012
Fyffe, AL
I loved the '85 game and "The Kick" is probably my favorite Bama memory. I was the '98 game and it was awesoms too. Down 17-0 at halftime and I had no confidence that Dubose could come back. 2nd half turned into the Shaun Alexander Show and we won 34-17. Good times.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
I loved the '85 game and "The Kick" is probably my favorite Bama memory. I was the '98 game and it was awesoms too. Down 17-0 at halftime and I had no confidence that Dubose could come back. 2nd half turned into the Shaun Alexander Show and we won 34-17. Good times.
We got down 17-0 in the 1st quarter. We only tailed 17-14 at the half.

bbqman

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2006
Decatur, AL
My personal favorite may be 1971. Alabama and aub were both undefeated. 2 year losing streak to them. Musso with an injured toe runs over aub. That was a great day to be an Alabama fan.
No doubt for me! This is and will always be my fondest! Still have my Sports Illustrated mag with #22 on the cover. It was Sullivan to Beasley for them and the Italian Stallion Johnny Musso for us!

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
1990- It was my first fall as a student at UA. I transferred from a junior college and started in January of 1990. My first night there I had walked over to Coleman to watch people have a very small rally for Bill Curry. Well, he left, and we hired Gene Stallings. It didn't start out very well for us that year- 0-3. However, Coach Stallings changed us from a high scoring offensive team that was making mistakes to a tough, hard-nosed defensive team that was sitting at 6-4 heading into the Iron Bowl. Auburn had won three or four in a row in the late 80's, including the previous year, which was the first time the game had been played in Auburn. It also ruined our 10-0 record from the previous year. It was my first Iron Bowl where I was actually in the stadium. The crowd was rocking the whole game. I still remember thinking that the stadium was actually shaking as one side of the stadium would yell, "Ala!" while the other side matched with "Bama!" Our defense was incredible, and we ended their streak that day. That is still the loudest game I have ever attended. It was awesome.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Fantastic team, fantastic game.

I think the players in the picture are:
#30 rt wing in 'bone Joe LaBue
#44 on the ground, up back in 'bone Steve Bisciglia
#84 team captain, end David Bailey
#22 team captain, lt wing in the 'bone Johnny Musso

also #52 for the University of Auburn lb Bill Luka

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
Fantastic team, fantastic game.

I think the players in the picture are:
#30 rt wing in 'bone Joe LaBue
#44 on the ground, up back in 'bone Steve Bisciglia
#84 team captain, end David Bailey
#22 team captain, lt wing in the 'bone Johnny Musso

also #52 for the University of Auburn lb Bill Luka
Great memories. We ground them down the entire game while Sullivan struggled to get his passes over our DL. We must have deflected at least 1/2 dozen. Tear-away jerseys . . . I don't miss them at all.

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
My favorite Iron Bowl? There's no question: 1985. If you don't mind reading a long post, here's the story:

While waiting in an I-20 football traffic jam a couple of miles from Legion Field, my car's gas pump failed. With my teen-age brother in tow (I was driving him from our family's house in north Georgia to see his first Alabama game), I left locked it up and we started walking toward the stadium (Just a reminder - there weren't a whole lot of cell phones around back then). As we walked, we came upon a police officer directing traffic. Hearing our story, he took pity on us, gave me the name, address, and phone number of a towing service and garage, and said he'd take care of things. I could call the garage and talk to them after the game and/or the next day. I gave him my keys and we kept on walking. Since my brother had to be home the next morning and I'd planned on driving home after the game, we had no luggage to worry about or hotel in which to stay. I didn't care. We were going to that game. I was still an Alabama student, so I had driven home from Tuscaloosa a couple of days earlier. I had my student ticket and had intended to arrive early enough to buy a student-guest ticket for my brother or trade and pay for two reserved seats. (The only reason I didn't buy his ticket ahead of time is that I didn't know he wanted to go until the night before the game. I had planned on meeting up with friends a few hours before kick-off and then sitting in the student section, as usual. Once my little brother wanted to go, my plans changed. How could I deny my brother the Bulldog fan a chance to see real football -- The Iron Bowl, at that -- and perhaps turn him from the dark side?)

Well, all of those plans were shot. By the time we finally made it on foot to Legion Field, it was about 5 minutes before kick-off. My friends had long since decided I wasn't coming and had gone to their seats. Sitting in the student section would have been miserable, even if we could have found a student-guest ticket. I located a scalper who was looking to get rid of a few extra he hadn't sold and for $100 bought the two best he said he had left -- about 5 rows up in the end zone, surrounded by barners. We hustled to our seats, squeezed in, and watched my favorite game ever.
My brother was so scared (and angry) about the whole situation that it took him a while to start caring about the game. Most of the time, he kept asking how I could leave my keys with a stranger and what were my plans for getting him home safely. My response was to give him concession money so he would shut up. I wanted to watch the Iron Bowl. All that stuff could wait until it was over. I didn't tell him that part. I just told him not to worry: I had taken care of everything. (By everything, I meant I had no plan at all).

As the last couple of minutes of the game approached, things were miserable. My brother couldn't be bribed with Cokes and hot dogs any longer, I was being verbally abused by the barners around us, and we were losing. Then Alabama got the ball and started a drive. As fate had decided, the action was moving away from us, but that was OK. Shula and our offense were making some big plays. Finally, it came down to Van Tiffin and that 52-yard field goal attempt. When the ball was snapped and Tiffin's foot sent it spinning on its fantastic journey, it seemed as if nothing existed but that football. Then it floated through the uprights and the world went crazy. The stadium was roaring the air was vibrating, and I felt -- well, if joy had been a finite resource, at that moment the rest of the world would have burst into tears.
After the game, I found another officer and explained our plight. He made a couple of calls and then drove us to the lot that held my car so we could get a couple of things out of it. With a little bit of hope, I tried to start it. The engine started right up, I paid someone there about $100 and drove back to Georgia. I left the car running when we refueled, never really stopping until we got home.

Regrettably, my brother remained a Georgia fan and still doesn’t like talking about that day. As for me, I'd give anything to relive it all again. I still love to listen to that radio braodcast: "...and the state of Alabama is Crimson."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.