Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Cal coach Jeff Tedford will not return next season

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    Start with 2003 - A list of players drafted into the NFL by California: http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/ful...=0&type=school

Alex Mack was the highest drafted offensive lineman that played under Tedford (Picked 21st overall in 2009 by Cleveland).
    Oh yeah, I should have remembered Mack.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDanish View Post
    Oh yeah, I should have remembered Mack.
    Probably should have added a bit more to my original statement in that your assessment was correct... not a lot of linemen in general were on that list.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    Poor facilities/support from the administration.
    Didn't they just spend over $300 million on their football stadium/athletic facilities according to last Sunday's "60 Minutes". Michigan spent a little over $200 million.

What did California get for $300+ million?
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post
    Didn't they just spend over $300 million on their football stadium/athletic facilities according to last Sunday's "60 Minutes". Michigan spent a little over $200 million.

Well, poor support in the past. I forgot they did upgrade their stadium, but as a whole, the entire University of California system (This includes UCLA) is somewhat financially strapped.

-Bill Belichick

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonChuck's Avatar
    My Mood
    Sassy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideMan09 View Post
    I just saw this Tweet from Stewart Mandel that verifies what you say..

Cal AD Sandy Barbour to season ticket holders: "the team’s continuing decline in academic performance is of great concern." Pac-12 worst GSR
    I didn't realize that. In that case, Auburn would be a great fit for him!
    Lucky #13

I know his name gets thrown out there for every opening, but is there any reason that Cal wouldn't go after Petersen?

He's from the area. His alma mater is an hour away and his hometown is two hours away. He recruits California, so he probably knows a lot of the HS coaches. There are good hospitals in the area. Boise seems to have cooled down. California is, of course, loaded with talent and the university has new facilities. The bar is much lower than at most schools who have come after Petersen, but the potential is there.

I don't know, this just seems like it could be the job that could persuade Peterson to finally make the jump.

BamaNation All-American CaliforniaTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post

Well, yes. But that project should've been done 3+ years ago. The school had to deal with the hippies (legit hippies) that protested enough to slow down the renovations of the stadium. The stadium sits on a major fault line, so some retrofitting needed to be done.

It's been my experience that Tedford is probably as good as as they're gonna get. They've always done better in basketball (or at least shown more support) and the non-revenue sports. Unlike UCLA, Cal gets that and so football kind of takes a back seat to the other sports.
    It's the edge of the world
    And all of Western civilization
    The sun may rise in the East
    At least it settles in its final location
    It's understood that Hollywood
    Sells Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers in Californication

Look at that dude go all Dareus on that colt...

BamaNation First Team graydogg85's Avatar

I know his name gets thrown out there for every opening, but is there any reason that Cal wouldn't go after Petersen?

He's from the area. His alma mater is an hour away and his hometown is two hours away. He recruits California, so he probably knows a lot of the HS coaches. There are good hospitals in the area. Boise seems to have cooled down. California is, of course, loaded with talent and the university has new facilities. The bar is much lower than at most schools who have come after Petersen, but the potential is there.

I don't know, this just seems like it could be the job that could persuade Peterson to finally make the jump.
    There are a lot of good points here, and I agree that if Petersen ever makes the jump it will be for a west coast school.

It's interesting to me that the Petersen talk has really cooled this season in spite of several prime openings. You're not hearing his name at Tennessee or Arkansas. I wonder how much of it is Boise dropping a game early to a very mediocre Michigan State team, and how much of it is just Petersen continually rebuffing big-time offers. I also wonder if teams aren't starting to be a little wary of Boise products, given that Dan Hawkins, Dirk Koetter and Houston Nutt have all imploded to varying degrees at the BCS level.

I could see him ending up at a relatively low-pressure BCS gig on the west coast, but that almost seems like an even swap for Boise.

Rumblings yesterday indicated Cal is a job Petersen would consider if offered.

-Bill Belichick