Question: Realistically will another SEC West team not named Bama and LSU ever win a NC?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I ask this knowing that aTm just came into the conference and have a very good chance of winning a NC. But I'm speaking more specifically to the more tenured teams (Arky, Auburn, Miss St, Ole Miss).

It took Auburn catching....um buying lightning in a bottle to win one. But going forward, do any of these teams realistically have a shot at competing for a NC?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Arkansas does have the resources to get a quality coach so they could perhaps.
*uburn will not win another for 53 years.
If any team from Mississippi ever plays for a title in my lifetime than get ready for the apocalypse because I am pretty sure that is the seventh sign.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I ask this knowing that aTm just came into the conference and have a very good chance of winning a NC. But I'm speaking more specifically to the more tenured teams (Arky, Auburn, Miss St, Ole Miss).

It took Auburn catching....um buying lightning in a bottle to win one. But going forward, do any of these teams realistically have a shot at competing for a NC?
Who knows Buzzard? Several years ago Florida and Tennessee were asking the same questions about all the other teams in the SEC including Bama and LSU.

It can certainly go up and down and all around and back again.

That being said though I'll project that as long as Coach Saban's at Bama and Les is at LSU that those are the two teams who will probably have a chance every year while the others you mentioned, even Texas A@M, have little or no chance at all.

sip

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Who knows Buzzard? Several years ago Florida and Tennessee were asking the same questions about all the other teams in the SEC including Bama and LSU.

It can certainly go up and down and all around and back again.

That being said though I'll project that as long as Coach Saban's at Bama and Les is at LSU that those are the two teams who will probably have a chance every year while the others you mentioned, even Texas A@M, have little or no chance at all.

sip
I don't know, Mr Sippi. ATM is in a pretty good position to solidify their talent and status in the SEC. Their recruiting base and current coaching could prove to be quite a problem for the West in the future. No one, no one, that I'm aware of, predicted how well they would do this year. I do not claim to be as informed or as smart as you are, but I am impressed with what the Aggies have accomplished this year. And I feel it's quite possible that they could snare another NC for the SEC down the road. I think next year in Tyler is going to be very interesting. Very interesting, indeed.

Roll Tsunami, Roll!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The balance of power has shifted since 1992. Alabama and Florida for most of the 90's then UT in the late 90's and in the early 2000's it was UGA, UT and LSU. Then Florida and Alabama again. LSU has been a force for the past 5 seasons. It looks like UGA and UF maybe in a resurgnece mode. It is hard to say, but at present in the West it is Alabama, LSU and TAMU. In the East UGA, UF and USCe for now. I expect with the right hire UT will supplant USCe when Spurrier retires. I agree that given the right coach Arkansas could be a contender at some point.

bamaee04

All-SEC
Nov 15, 2004
Birmingham, AL
As long as Saban is at Bama and someone remotely competent is at LSU, I would say not in the next 5-10 years. Texas A&M will continue to improve and will probably be number 3 in the west if they continue to build and improve and could possibly contend soon. I can already see a shift in which Ole Miss and MSU are moving up while Auburn and Arkansas are on their way down to the cellar. Freeze has done a tremendous job at Ole Miss in year one, and they will only continue to improve while he is there, and the same can be said with Mullen at MSU. RTR!!

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.
I thought Arkansas might be a team that could challenge for it .. dunno now. I suppose any team could get an unexpected gem in the rough and end up as one of the teams to do it. Arkansas has had some pretty good talent come through there so if I had to go with one outside of A&M Arkansas would have to be it. They should have been much better in 06 than they were had alot to do with coaching imo.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Realistically, yes - every one of them will... eventually.

Of course it may take decades or centuries. But it'll happen as fortunes change and coaching changes occur. One day. the next Paul Bryant or Nick Saban will get lured to Oxford and Ole Miss will become a perennial powerhouse. We'll likely be long dead by then, but probabilistically speaking, the chance is not zero. Therefore, it will happen. It's just a matter of time - a very, very long time.

Hypothetically speaking, if there are no coaching changes for the rest of eternity, those chances diminish greatly, and a championship just becomes a matter of the confluence of a once in a lifetime talent and $280,000.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Well API funds are gonna be tight for a while but they will Buy another stud, you can count on it. That is the only way they know how to win.

I expect as long as CLM & CNS are around it will be very tough for most teams, because they have to defeat a system or process rather than a team.

aTm I think will have a huge drop off next year, new broom always sweeps better at first.

Ty Webb

Suspended
Feb 3, 2012
Realistically, yes - every one of them will... eventually.

Of course it may take decades or centuries. But it'll happen as fortunes change and coaching changes occur. One day. the next Paul Bryant or Nick Saban will get lured to Oxford and Ole Miss will become a perennial powerhouse. We'll likely be long dead by then, but probabilistically speaking, the chance is not zero. Therefore, it will happen. It's just a matter of time - a very, very long time.

Hypothetically speaking, if there are no coaching changes for the rest of eternity, those chances diminish greatly, and a championship just becomes a matter of the confluence of a once in a lifetime talent and $280,000.
I think the near-term answer is no. I doubt Ole Miss, MSU, Arky, or Auburn win one in the next fifty plus years. Auburn, without a hired QB, was a five loss or more team. I don't think any of those teams will catch lightning in a bottle again, unless Alabama, LSU, and A&M all fall of the map, which I don't expect to happen.

I think it is much more likely that if Ole Miss were to get lucky and find the next Nick Saban, Alabama, USCw, Florida, etc. (or the NFL) would hire him away from Ole Miss, before he was able to win a NC. Jim Harbaugh at Stanford is a recent example.

The coach's with the mindset and skill level of a Nick Saban come into this profession coveting the Alabama, USCw, Florida, etc. type jobs. Most career moves are with the plan to once capture one of those jobs, because it is easier to win at those schools.

CaptainTide

Scout Team
Apr 16, 2011
Mobile, AL
Ever? Of course. While Saban and Les are here? Sure, as long as they can beat Bama/LSU. A&M almost managed to do both of those this year. If they had they would be the ones playing Georgia on December 1st and then probably on Jan 7th as well.

As much as I personally hate to say it, some years just aren't ours and I think if some of the West teams can get something together and beat us or LSU, certainly they can and will play for a title. I'd be cheering them on as well, regardless of who it was.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I think Arkansas has the ability to win if everything goes right, but that will be rare. Texas A&M is probably a more likely candidate to be consistently successful and perhaps win a title. That is assuming, of course, that they can avoid bonehead moves like hiring Mike McCarthy.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I don't know, Mr Sippi. ATM is in a pretty good position to solidify their talent and status in the SEC. Their recruiting base and current coaching could prove to be quite a problem for the West in the future. No one, no one, that I'm aware of, predicted how well they would do this year. I do not claim to be as informed or as smart as you are, but I am impressed with what the Aggies have accomplished this year. And I feel it's quite possible that they could snare another NC for the SEC down the road. I think next year in Tyler is going to be very interesting. Very interesting, indeed.

Roll Tsunami, Roll!

They would indeed be the one other team that has a chance imo.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I think Arkansas has the ability to win if everything goes right, but that will be rare. Texas A&M is probably a more likely candidate to be consistently successful and perhaps win a title. That is assuming, of course, that they can avoid bonehead moves like hiring Mike McCarthy.
I don't think aTm will do quite as well next year w/johnny football. Running the triple option was something no one could stop at first but in just a couple of years, teams figured that taking away the pitch man would stop it because the qb would have to run it or try to find an open receiver. Teams will learn the key to stopping Manziel just as readily.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Texas A&M might win one next year.
Arkansas and Auburn have the facilities if the get the right coaching staff to be back in the hunt in 3-4 years, easy.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I don't think aTm will do quite as well next year w/johnny football. Running the triple option was something no one could stop at first but in just a couple of years, teams figured that taking away the pitch man would stop it because the qb would have to run it or try to find an open receiver. Teams will learn the key to stopping Manziel just as readily.
True. Teams may learn to stop Manziel in the next few years.

But the question was in regards to the larger scope of winning a national title at some point in the future. Given their recruiting base and resources, I think Texas A&M is probably the best bet to be a consistently good team in the future that will occasionally win national titles.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.