Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: NCAA to former Miami players: Talk or we're assuming you're guilty

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    ...Then there's the whole misplaced punishment idea. If a player or coach violates the rules, the NCAA does not punish the guilty, they punish the next group at the same school. It's like the cops saying, "If you don't stop robbing banks, we're going to arrest your son or your neighbor." An unethical person would ask, "Do I get the keep the money?" If the answer is yes, then the unethical breaker of the rules will say to himself, "Oh, well. It sucks to be my son or neighbor."
    This is my entire problem with the NCAA. They never punish the violators and just hit the players and coaches that come along later.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team fralo4tide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFanatJSU View Post
    I see what you did there.
    I have no idea what you're talkin' about.

BamaNation First Team Alajambama's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Not sure what the NCAA can do about former players, so...

Sounds like the NCAA is ready to pound Miami.
    The NFL needs to get involved. A player should have to pay restitution or a fine of some kind. Either that, or be forcecd to sit out a couple of seasons if they are found to accepted benifits while in college. I don't have a problem with the college being punished, but the guilty individuals (boosters, coaches, and/or players) should be punished also.
    The best thing to ever come out of Tennessee...I-65 heading south.

Suspended

I don't like retroactive punishment either, but these rules are on the books. You can't just have a culture that ignores the rules in a widespread, systemic fashion.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by thefloydian View Post
    I haven't read the article, but why would would former players care what the NCAA thinks?
    Well, if they weren't a part of violations, 3-4 years at the university should make them care enough to pick up the phone and help out the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Alajambama View Post
    The NFL needs to get involved.
    Bad idea.

The answer is to have each player sign a contract when they set foot on campus that allows punitive damages after their NCAA career is over if it's proven they broke the rules. Coaches should be required to have similar wording in their contracts. But forcing the NFL to deal with the NCAA's poor decisions / leadership isn't the answer.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar
    My Mood
    Brooding on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Bad idea.

The answer is to have each player sign a contract when they set foot on campus that allows punitive damages after their NCAA career is over if it's proven they broke the rules. Coaches should be required to have similar wording in their contracts. But forcing the NFL to deal with the NCAA's poor decisions / leadership isn't the answer.
    I like this idea. The NCAA could, I suppose direct that any scholar-athlete sign a contract with similar verbiage and dock the perps personally and directly.
    I do not like the NCAA's "go after the innocent and make them collateral damage" strategy.
    “For just in proportion as a people are ignorant, stupid, debased, corrupt, exposed to violence within and dangers from without, the power necessary for government to possess in order to preserve society against anarchy and destruction becomes greater and greater and individual liberty less and less, until the lowest condition is reached, when absolute and despotic power becomes necessary on the part of the government and individual liberty extinct." Jabez L. M. Curry

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

---Didn't realize Audio had already thought of my idea. LOL!
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American RollTideMang's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The only problem I see with using this approach in the future is that the NCAA has already made up their mind on Miami's guilt (which it's kind of obvious they are guilty). If they tried this on other schools in the future that they weren't 10000% sure of their guilt, it could be very bad. If the school was in fact innocent, they are already screwed. It would be like the police interrogating an innocent man saying "admit that you killed that person, or we're going to just assume you're guilty anyways and throw you in jail". With that said, I hope they decimate the U.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Double standard again by the NCAA. They assume by not talking the ex Miami players are guilty however the HBO4 stopped talking and they let the Barn off as they couldn't get the players to cooperate.

BamaNation All-American

Didn't Miami self-impose a post season ban, even though they were in the running for the ACC CG?
    Honey Badger can take what the Tide gives him and like it.

BamaNation All-American buzzincuzzin's Avatar

Yep. And that should clue us on how bad they think it's gonna be.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by BamaGoose View Post
    Double standard again by the NCAA. They assume by not talking the ex Miami players are guilty however the HBO4 stopped talking and they let the Barn off as they couldn't get the players to cooperate.
    at the risk of sounding like I'm trying to defend the NCAA, it could be that they are trying to come up with new tactics as a result of their inability to get former players like the HBO4 to talk.
    Last edited by TexasRed; November 22nd, 2012 at 08:28 AM.