Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Suspended
    Recipes

Can Geno Be Our Third DB?

Wondering how everyone feels about Geno Smith's progress...seems like he might be able to step into that 3rd DB role (perhaps ahead of Fulton) which might remove some of the strain on our safeties and then open up some room for more creative blitzes and coverage.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American AlistarWills's Avatar
    My Mood
    Tired on TideFans.com

Re: Can Geno Be Our Third DB?

Coach Saban has stated that something has clicked in the last 2 or 3 weeks and he seems to "get it" now. Having him come in and play the Star position on Dime defense helps because of his cover skills vs. that of Ha-Ha or Vinny. It's a good thing.
    I've read the end of The Book and I know who wins!

3rd DB, no. 5th, 6th, or 7th, yes.

Sunseri has been a liability in coverage all year and frankly I've been disappointed with his tackling. On the positive however he is a playmaker and seems to find himself around the ball a lot. Apparently I've been more pleased with Fulton's development than the coaches as I would rather have seen Fulton on the boundry with Menzie moved inside to star with Vinny playing only in the Money package over what's been occurring of late.

As for Geno, if the light is finally on, put him at star, the sooner the better and find roles for Vinny where his assets are best used, ie aggressive blitzes etc.
    Friends don't let friends drink Bud Miller or Coors!
    Good people drink good bier!

Quote Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post

Sunseri has been a liability in coverage all year and frankly I've been disappointed with his tackling. On the positive however he is a playmaker and seems to find himself around the ball a lot. Apparently I've been more pleased with Fulton's development than the coaches as I would rather have seen Fulton on the boundry with Menzie moved inside to star with Vinny playing only in the Money package over what's been occurring of late.

As for Geno, if the light is finally on, put him at star, the sooner the better and find roles for Vinny where his assets are best used, ie aggressive blitzes etc.
    fulton's been injured
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-American EscaTider's Avatar

Can Geno Be Our Third DB?

Quote Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post

I think you meant Belue. Menzie graduated last year.

Can't say I'd be comfortable if that were the case. I think he'll be a fine player in time, but I'd much rather see Fulton get the call. I just have a feeling that if we go to ATL with him on the field, UGA will find a way to get him matched up with Malcolm Mitchell and that will end very badly for us.

In the past few years, saban has always put one of the top two corners into the slot, but it's seems like 28 and 13 are always one the outside this year with 3 in the slot. I remember arenas, jackson, menzie, all playing the slot with the 3rd corner going outside.

I would think just about any db on the team would be better at covering the slot than 3. He's a good ball player, but that's definitely not his strength.

Suspended

So I guess my broader question is how can we get Vinnie out of the slot? Because UGA will still find a way to get Mitchell on him and that won't go well either.

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

Nick Saban's defense has never been at it's best without three outstanding corners. We entered the season not having that and it concerned me. Assuming Milliner goes pro (he's probably a 1st rounder at this point) we may face the same issue next season. An awful lots depends on the development of Smith and Fulton. If they and Belue were as a group collectively better next season it would go a long way. Even with that we would need depth so players like Bradley Selve need to get better and if there is a high schooler who can play immediately we need to get him.

I think our safeties have looked bad at times because they have been asked to provide more coverage than normal. Sunsuri in particular is more of a run support and blitzer kind of safety.
    BS 1989

Simplified approach, but get our three best guys in there for the next three games. Now who they are is up for the experts to decide!

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

We've been playing 3 safeties because the best 5 have been the 3 safety/2 corner look. It is really telling that Saban couldn't trust any of the options at corner to be on the field most of the season. Perhaps he was hoping for Geno Smith to figure it out sooner and get him into the defense earlier and Sunseri at star was just an early season stop-gap. It didn't quite materialize in time but even if Geno does end up playing well enough in practice to get time on the field, we're likely going to have to take the good with the bad that we usually see early in the season with new starters.

If we end up winning an SEC championship, this will probably be one of Saban and staff's better coaching jobs on defense because we're clearly deficient in some areas.

I love Geno. He needs to get on the field a lot for auburn. Even if he gets burned a few times which I doubt will happen, he needs to see action especially for next year with Dee leaving most likely.

Alabama Crimson Tide

BamaNation First Team tidefan26's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I didn't think it big at the time, but that second juco corner (don't remember his name) leaving the team was in fact a big deal. I hope Geno can step up his game, but if I were UGA I would give him the Marquise Johnson treatment until he proved he could stop it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Sic semper tyrannis