Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Can Geno Be Our Third DB?

Quote Originally Posted by tidefan26 View Post
    I didn't think it big at the time, but that second juco corner (don't remember his name) leaving the team was in fact a big deal. I hope Geno can step up his game, but if I were UGA I would give him the Marquise Johnson treatment until he proved he could stop it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Travell Dixon, I believe -

Apparently had been rated higher coming out of JUCO than Belue, but that didn't translate into his performance after he joined the Tide...

2. Advertisement
    Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I am wondering if Vinnie will outgrow the defensive backfield and possible move to a small linebacker or niche position.

Agree that Fulton is the best and most experienced right now. We are D-back U, so I am assuming that we have young players on then bench with twice the talent as many starters in FBS, Injuries and 3 year players makes it difficult to keep things like clockwork.

Auburn will be throwing ducks, but Georgia will be a challenge.

Geno looks like a senior from a physical stand point it's just the mental. If he learns the coverages watch out cause he will be great. I feel confident with him in plus I would rather have him cover a wide out than Vinnie.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Georgia is the home-state team for Geno...maybe that is motivating him?

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    Travell Dixon, I believe -

Apparently had been rated higher coming out of JUCO than Belue, but that didn't translate into his performance after he joined the Tide...
    Given that he sank like a stone on the depth chart, it doesn't appear Mr. Dixon would have been any more than a special teams player. He apparently didn't handle disappointment any better than his coverage assignments.

Back to the thread .... If anyone knows if Geno is ready it's the CEO. He'll clue the rest of us in Saturday afternoon. Best people play.
    Last edited by CrimsonEyeshade; November 21st, 2012 at 10:32 PM.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

if need be i think he can. But only if Fulton is too hurt to play. That is the only way he is our 3rd corner. our safeties are just not fluid enough to cover WR's when we go against 4 and 5 wide sets. our safeties are built to be physical

Vinnie played LB in the second half vs A&M. Made some good plays when Johnny Football ran.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by chains View Post
    Vinnie played LB in the second half vs A&M. Made some good plays when Johnny Football ran.
    He may end up a linebacker imo.

BamaNation First Team tidefan26's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    He may end up a linebacker imo.
    Its where he played in HS if I am not mistaken. Could we start using the USCw spur alignment instead of the star? Would that even be viable with how we play?
    Sic semper tyrannis

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by bamaslammer View Post
    Nick Saban's defense has never been at it's best without three outstanding corners. We entered the season not having that and it concerned me. Assuming Milliner goes pro (he's probably a 1st rounder at this point) we may face the same issue next season. An awful lots depends on the development of Smith and Fulton. If they and Belue were as a group collectively better next season it would go a long way. Even with that we would need depth so players like Bradley Selve need to get better and if there is a high schooler who can play immediately we need to get him.

I think our safeties have looked bad at times because they have been asked to provide more coverage than normal. Sunsuri in particular is more of a run support and blitzer kind of safety.
    I think you mean't to say Coach Nick Saban
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

BamaNation All-American

I think we need Vinnie on the field...for playmaking and run support if nothing else. Just don't ask him to to cover a WR, let alone a star WR. LSU exposed that. Kind of like asking me to dunk a basketball. No matter how much film study and conditioning I've done, that just isn't going to happen.

He can cover most TEs. He can cover a lot of RBs, just not those small fast Harvin / McCalebb types. But asking him to cover a WR is putting him in a position where he can't succeed.

Having gotten a lesson from LSU on the perils of putting him in that position, I'm sure Saban and Smart have worked out a countermeasure.

I'm thinking a Corey Reamer-type role is in his future. Reamer started as a DB, then moved to a LB role, mostly in pass situations. Sunseri is, however, better at run support than Reamer was.
    Undefeated World Champion Threadkiller

BamaNation First Team

I wonder if Landon Collins will eventually make a move to corner? He seems to fit that mold and when he is in, he seems to have very good cover skills.

BamaNation First Team lincoln_osiris's Avatar
    My Mood
    Amused on TideFans.com

Don't think we plan for Vinnie to have to cover the other teams star receiver...they force those mismatches by alignments and motions. Especially against hurry up offenses, it is hard for us to adjust the coverage. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a linebacker role in the next couple years against hurry up offenses. Then we could move some of our bigger linebackers up to DE similar to what we often did with Hightower.
    I'm a lead farmer