Question: Can Geno Be Our Third DB?

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Wondering how everyone feels about Geno Smith's progress...seems like he might be able to step into that 3rd DB role (perhaps ahead of Fulton) which might remove some of the strain on our safeties and then open up some room for more creative blitzes and coverage.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Coach Saban has stated that something has clicked in the last 2 or 3 weeks and he seems to "get it" now. Having him come in and play the Star position on Dime defense helps because of his cover skills vs. that of Ha-Ha or Vinny. It's a good thing.

MVKTR2

1st Team
May 29, 2008
3rd DB, no. 5th, 6th, or 7th, yes. ;)

Sunseri has been a liability in coverage all year and frankly I've been disappointed with his tackling. On the positive however he is a playmaker and seems to find himself around the ball a lot. Apparently I've been more pleased with Fulton's development than the coaches as I would rather have seen Fulton on the boundry with Menzie moved inside to star with Vinny playing only in the Money package over what's been occurring of late.

As for Geno, if the light is finally on, put him at star, the sooner the better and find roles for Vinny where his assets are best used, ie aggressive blitzes etc.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Sunseri has been a liability in coverage all year and frankly I've been disappointed with his tackling. On the positive however he is a playmaker and seems to find himself around the ball a lot. Apparently I've been more pleased with Fulton's development than the coaches as I would rather have seen Fulton on the boundry with Menzie moved inside to star with Vinny playing only in the Money package over what's been occurring of late.

As for Geno, if the light is finally on, put him at star, the sooner the better and find roles for Vinny where his assets are best used, ie aggressive blitzes etc.
fulton's been injured

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL

I think you meant Belue. Menzie graduated last year.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Can't say I'd be comfortable if that were the case. I think he'll be a fine player in time, but I'd much rather see Fulton get the call. I just have a feeling that if we go to ATL with him on the field, UGA will find a way to get him matched up with Malcolm Mitchell and that will end very badly for us.

PARTON1080

Aug 10, 2009
In the past few years, saban has always put one of the top two corners into the slot, but it's seems like 28 and 13 are always one the outside this year with 3 in the slot. I remember arenas, jackson, menzie, all playing the slot with the 3rd corner going outside.

I would think just about any db on the team would be better at covering the slot than 3. He's a good ball player, but that's definitely not his strength.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Nick Saban's defense has never been at it's best without three outstanding corners. We entered the season not having that and it concerned me. Assuming Milliner goes pro (he's probably a 1st rounder at this point) we may face the same issue next season. An awful lots depends on the development of Smith and Fulton. If they and Belue were as a group collectively better next season it would go a long way. Even with that we would need depth so players like Bradley Selve need to get better and if there is a high schooler who can play immediately we need to get him.

I think our safeties have looked bad at times because they have been asked to provide more coverage than normal. Sunsuri in particular is more of a run support and blitzer kind of safety.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Simplified approach, but get our three best guys in there for the next three games. Now who they are is up for the experts to decide!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We've been playing 3 safeties because the best 5 have been the 3 safety/2 corner look. It is really telling that Saban couldn't trust any of the options at corner to be on the field most of the season. Perhaps he was hoping for Geno Smith to figure it out sooner and get him into the defense earlier and Sunseri at star was just an early season stop-gap. It didn't quite materialize in time but even if Geno does end up playing well enough in practice to get time on the field, we're likely going to have to take the good with the bad that we usually see early in the season with new starters.

If we end up winning an SEC championship, this will probably be one of Saban and staff's better coaching jobs on defense because we're clearly deficient in some areas.

smohabbat

Scout Team
Oct 13, 2011
I love Geno. He needs to get on the field a lot for auburn. Even if he gets burned a few times which I doubt will happen, he needs to see action especially for next year with Dee leaving most likely.

tidefan26

1st Team
Dec 5, 2005
South Alabama
I didn't think it big at the time, but that second juco corner (don't remember his name) leaving the team was in fact a big deal. I hope Geno can step up his game, but if I were UGA I would give him the Marquise Johnson treatment until he proved he could stop it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I didn't think it big at the time, but that second juco corner (don't remember his name) leaving the team was in fact a big deal. I hope Geno can step up his game, but if I were UGA I would give him the Marquise Johnson treatment until he proved he could stop it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Travell Dixon, I believe -

Apparently had been rated higher coming out of JUCO than Belue, but that didn't translate into his performance after he joined the Tide...

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I am wondering if Vinnie will outgrow the defensive backfield and possible move to a small linebacker or niche position.

Agree that Fulton is the best and most experienced right now. We are D-back U, so I am assuming that we have young players on then bench with twice the talent as many starters in FBS, Injuries and 3 year players makes it difficult to keep things like clockwork.

Auburn will be throwing ducks, but Georgia will be a challenge.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
Geno looks like a senior from a physical stand point it's just the mental. If he learns the coverages watch out cause he will be great. I feel confident with him in plus I would rather have him cover a wide out than Vinnie.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Travell Dixon, I believe -

Apparently had been rated higher coming out of JUCO than Belue, but that didn't translate into his performance after he joined the Tide...
Given that he sank like a stone on the depth chart, it doesn't appear Mr. Dixon would have been any more than a special teams player. He apparently didn't handle disappointment any better than his coverage assignments.

Back to the thread .... If anyone knows if Geno is ready it's the CEO. He'll clue the rest of us in Saturday afternoon. Best people play.

Last edited:

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
if need be i think he can. But only if Fulton is too hurt to play. That is the only way he is our 3rd corner. our safeties are just not fluid enough to cover WR's when we go against 4 and 5 wide sets. our safeties are built to be physical

chains

Scout Team
Jun 12, 2009
Vinnie played LB in the second half vs A&M. Made some good plays when Johnny Football ran.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.