Blog: Latest Bama News 11/21/2012

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
This is Where the football season never ends! Bama News first, and foremost,
interesting SEC news, and salient football news:

But a funny thing happened in 2012. The SEC split itself neatly, if not quite evenly, into two divisions, a fierce Gang of Six, three in each division, and a less-imposing Knitting Circle of Eight. While it's easy (and not unfair) to say that you can't play hypotheticals, there is one mathematical fact in the SEC. Every time a team from that Group of Six has played one of the other eight, it has won. Every single time. The record for the Haves vs. The Have-Nots is a perfect 27-0, and unless Auburn, Arkansas or Missouri can pull a big upset this weekend, it will end up at 30-0. So a fair argument can be made that the more non-Top Six teams you played (to be fair, some were pretty good teams such as Mississippi State and Vanderbilt), the better off you were. Proof in the pudding? The two teams that didn't draw a big-time cross-divisional opponent were Alabama and Georgia. Which two teams will, barring a big upset by Auburn, wind up in Atlanta? Alabama and Georgia.
TideSports.com - HURT: Bama, Georgia have schedules to be thankful for

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
"I don't think it really matters, because I'm not used as a runner," he said Tuesday after practice. But he scrambled Saturday for a 24-yard gain in a 49-0 victory over Western Carolina. Three weeks ago, he ran 9 yards up the middle for a touchdown at LSU. Two weeks ago, he scrambled away from what would have been a long loss for a 3-yard gain to the 2-yard line, but a fourth-down pass was intercepted on the next play, the decisive one in a 29-24 loss. Back to that 24-yard run Saturday. ... "I always mess with Coach," McCarron said of Alabama coach Nick Saban. "He told me he was screaming for me to get out of bounds the whole time. ... "When I came to the sidelines, (Phillip) Ely told me was screaming on the sidelines, 'Get out.' And I kept going. I came off after we scored on that long drive, came over and he met me. I knew what he was about to say, so I said, 'I just wanted to show you who was the real athlete out of us two.' He started laughing and just walked away. Couldn't do anything but smile."
Twinkletoes? No, but Tide quarterback AJ McCarron might be underrated as a runner | al.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
When Oregon and Kansas State both went down, Aaron Murray whooped it up as much as any Georgia fan. He knew what that meant for the Bulldogs — a shot at the national championship. "I’ve never screamed so much at the television and prayed so much in my life," Georgia’s star quarterback said Tuesday. "It was definitely an exciting night. We were screaming, high-fiving, hugging, group hugs. It was a lot of fun." Funny thing, though. Outside of this state, hardly anyone is talking about the Southeastern Conference’s other title contender. Instead, everyone is gushing about the possibility of two storied programs — Notre Dame and Alabama — playing for No. 1. Georgia, it seems, is just an afterthought. "We don’t mind being the underdogs," Murray said. "We know what we have to do, and that’s win games. If we do that, we’ll be good to go."
Forgotten Bulldogs: title talk centers around Tide, Irish | savannahnow.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart was named the American Football Coaches Association Assistant Coach of the Year, the organization announced Tuesday. The honor comes on the heels of winning the Broyles Award in 2009. Under Smart’s direction, the Alabama defense is one of the best in the nation. Alabama is ranked No. 3 in rushing defense (76.20 ypg allowed), No. 9 in pass efficiency defense (102.76 rating), No. 2 in total defense (247.80 ypg allowed) and No. 1 in scoring defense (11.10 ppg allowed) in 2012. His defenses have helped Alabama win two BCS national titles in the last four years and five of his defenders earned All-America honors in 2011. Six players on the defensive side of the ball have been drafted in the first round in the last three years.

Kirby Smart Named AFCA Assistant Coach of the Year - rolltide.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
In case you were wondering what became of the ball that AJ McCarron threw to Christion Jones for a single-season school-record 21st touchdown pass Saturday, it was handed off. "Our equipment manager, (Jeff) Springer, saved it, and then I gave it to my parents after the game," the Alabama quarterback said Tuesday after practice. How special is that? "It's pretty cool," McCarron said. "Not so much for me. It's for them, just because they were born and raised Alabama fans, and it's every parent's dream for their kid to play for the university and be quarterback and achieve something like that. It's pretty special."

Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron completes a pass to his parents | al.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
"It's a very physical game, but we fight through those things," Jones said. "We've done a good job with the transition of what you've got to do when someone goes down. We're focusing on right now learning multiple positions for those areas that we have with injuries." Jones said there isn't one specific receiver who knows the X, Y and Z positions best. Instead, it's been a collective effort. "We just keep everyone moving and keep it going because if you do all that, the offense can get confusing," he said. "Everyone learns those different spots so that we won't be able to slow down and we can move on to what we're trying to do in the game."
Alabama wide receivers persevering through injuries by diversifying their responsibilities | al.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
"OK, so here’s what happened. The true story. I’ll be dead honest," Jones said. "I live right beside there. Like I live within a quarter of a mile. So after it happened, everyone was just like running around the streets and everyone started running to The Strip. "So I was like, I mean, I’m in college, I gotta at least see what it looks like. So I just walked down there and looked around and all of the sudden there was just a mob of people and the next thing I knew, people were recognizing me and I was getting mobbed and I started high-fiving people. "I was probably down there for 5 minutes total and I ended up on every video. It was pretty crazy."
Barrett Jones, was that you celebrating Saturday night on The Strip? | al.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Scab has been pretty fair in his articles of late, however I passed on this morning's serving. It was titled "As if talent and coaching weren't enough,Alabama has all the luck". an you belive it? Yes he recounts the injuries we've had, and then notes that Michigan, arky, and Mizzou, din't have starting QB's, while conceding at the end of the paragraph, "does anybody believe the out comes would've bee any different?" Then concludes "the Irish are offensively challenged", inferring we should win easily. I don't believe in posting links to boogs websites are their apologists, however this guy does get it right sometimes, I guess his booger leanings are are coming out this week. I don't agree with every article I post, for sure, however I draw the line where I see denigration of the Players or Coaches or the University. This article crossed that line, with a thinly disguised disparaging of the teams efforts. True a team needs scheduling luck, injury luck, and luck with at least 50% of the referees' calls, as any coach and indeed Coach Saban has said, however, to lay our team's success off to "luck" is too cute by half, most especially for an "unbiased sportswriter". I actually read it so you wouldn't have to. I emailed this response to him. One get gets Bama News where one can find it. doing it everyday, it is sometimes difficult. I use souces, I don't particularly like (al.com) for instance, but I ty to be diligent, making sure the content, is up to TideFans standards.

I blogged this post, on TF.com

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.