Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GreatDanish's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just to Point out the obvious, we're in a 3 game playoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    The problem is, it wont be 4. By 2030, I can almost guarantee you that it will be 16+. Name me one sport that hasn't expanded it's playoff format since it began. Please. I'm seriously asking. I've yet to find one.

My problem isn't the 4 team playoff. Honestly, a 4 team playoff is better than what we've got, and teams 5-8 shouldn't have a horse in the race. Playoffs ALWAYS expand. Always.
    That's my beef (as evident from my post above). The catch-22 here is that there are two likely options: the 4-team playoff isn't generating as much revenue as the old system, and the 4-team playoff generates more revenue than the old system.
    Either outcome is a rationale for expanding the field.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bourbon View Post
    No it doesn't. Instead of games being relevant only for 2 spots, they will be relevant for 4. Which means, there will be more relevant play-in games with a 4-team playoff.
    Ask the Atlanta Braves what they think about extending playoffs.
    Due to the current workload, the light at the end of the tunnel will be temporarily turned off.

BamaNation Second Team WalkaboutSean's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The NCAA powers-that-be have repeatedly emphasized the importance of maintaining "the most meaningful regular season in sports." There's no desire to undermine the regular season.

The old system of bowl conference lock-ins made no sense whatsoever.

The BCS, for all of its flaws, has been an improvement.

The four team playoff will be an improvement on the BCS (it's essentially the "plus one" model that Coach Saban has endorsed).

My major concern with the new system is the selection committee choosing the teams. In the four team playoff, we will have a small committee making the selection of teams. I fear that this will allow TV $$$ to wield heavier influence on the selection process. I would've preferred they kept the BCS system in place, but expanded the Championship to include the top four teams instead of the top two.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Jack Bourbon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Persnickety on TideFans.com

How would the Oregon and Ks State games have been less important with a 4-team playoff? Would those teams just have mailed in the game, assuming they'd keep the top 4 ranking even if they'd lost? That would have been a mistake, because they both fell out of the top 4 with their losses to Stanford and Baylor. It's likely that in a playoff system, at least one of them, if not both, would be left out because of their 1-loss record coupled with other perceived deficiencies.

With the playoff, we would have been treating many other team's games as championship play-ins, ie the games of UGA, Fla, Oklahoma, LSU, FSU, SC, etc, even though they'd already had a loss. Under the current system, these teams had been written off long ago. The new system calls for more than only the teams with undefeated records to have games that can make or break their chance to finish in the top 4 and compete for a title. Now, 2-loss teams will still be in the hunt, perhaps hoping that the 1-loss team which would otherwise take the 4th seed will lose so that they can jump ahead of them and into the playoff.

The NFL comparison is flawed because there are more games during the season and more teams in the playoffs. The problem occasionally emerges where a team has a bye locked in and can mail in the last game or two (although this is pretty uncommon). Regardless, there are usually several critical games at the end of the NFL regular season, with teams at least fighting for home-field advantage if not for a playoff spot itself. Also, teams that are not in the playoff picture commonly shut down their A-game to protect their rosters from injury, preserving their personnel for the next season, which can make for boring games. College teams don't do this as most of the players are getting their only shot.

Regarding baseball, it is true that the wild card expansion is bad for the better teams. But it definitely makes more games relevant. Not only is there the division race, there is also the wild card race.

Given that in college there are still so few playoff spots under the new system, and so few games during the regular season, I sincerely doubt there will be a disregard for any of the games by any of the collegiate teams. It will be very tricky to get in, with nothing for certain for any team that loses.

Would anyone here have felt ok if Yeldon didn't score the game-winning touchdown against LSU, just because there were 4 playoff spots? Would the team have just thought, "no biggie, we'll get into the playoff anyway. . . we'll just mosey on past Texas A&M"? Obviously, with the A&M loss, Alabama is still in it this year. But a lot of that has to do with recently-earned favor due to winning titles. Most teams, like Oregon and Ks State, don't have that luxury, and Alabama can't assume it always will.

The nail-biters won't decrease in number because there are two more spots. I think the opposite will happen. Long story.
    Last edited by Jack Bourbon; November 22nd, 2012 at 04:53 AM.

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

We have been in a 2 game playoff for 20 years now, for us that's one more game.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not for the play offs at all because of what it does to the regular season, just my view. However, a well coached team that happens to have one down night just a shot at redemption, like we are fortunate to see this year.

Whatever system is settled on, I think Alabama above most schools will be prepared & focused on winning it all.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GreatDanish's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bourbon View Post
    How would the Oregon and Ks State games have been less important with a 4-team playoff?
    I think it was more from the standpoint that Alabama would be left out unless both teams lost. The games were still important for those teams, but the games were huge for Notre Dame and Alabama fans. They would not have been very important to us if the playoff were in effect because win or lose, we would still be in it most likely.

BamaNation All-American BamaMoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I agree that "too many playoff spots" (for sake of argument let's say 16) will hurt the regular season.

However, I don't see how it will be possible for the season to be lengthened enough to allow for anything beyond a 4 team playoff.

That's just two extra games. Go to eight team playoff and it would be three. Go to sixteen and it would be 4. That would lengthen the season by an entire month. And with finals taking place in December they'd have to allow for time for that too.

So I just can't see it going beyond 4 and for sure not beyond 8. JMO.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonbleeder View Post
    It's sad that the NCAA is bowing to society's pressure of what a "Champion" should be, decided by a bunch of morons (in general) who don't really know anything about the real sport of football, or who are so busy whining about "their" little team not getting any of the big $$$, but worse yet, the NCAA had no choice due to the possibility of getting sued by the US Government under antitrust laws. I seriously believe that was the main impetus of this whole thing.
    Unfortunately, college football's success (and the money it brought) is what is leading to its very demise---and it WILL decline in quality as these "WONDERFUL, FANTASTIC, STELLAR, JUST WHAT WE NEEDED" "playoffs" (sarcasm intended) expand---and they WILL expand just as RedStar said, because they WILL make money, and we WILL watch them...it really is the beginning of the end.

I agree with REDSTAR.
    Either thru political correctness or thru financial greed,
    the likelihood of playoffs expanding is more than 100%.
    At that point all of the games diminish in importance.
    Soon each game has the importance of 'Rock, Paper, Scissors'.
    (No offense intended toward kids everywhere...)

Our goal should be to work hard to prevent future expansion of playoffs.
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; November 22nd, 2012 at 08:34 AM. Reason: format

BamaNation First Team BamaAlum97's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to Point out the obvious, we're in a 3 game playoff.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkaboutSean View Post
    With only FOUR teams in the playoff, the excitement isn't going away.

There are 120 teams in the "league." It will be very tough to make the top four.
    Approximately half of those 120 teams have no shot to make the playoffs from day 1. It's the top tier teams from the major conferences and small handful of independents/mid-major teams competing for 4 spots...

I personally am anti-playoff. Expanding the field is just a way to appease the teams and conferences who were not good enough to get a spot under the old system...instead of playing better football, they found it easier to change the system.
    Twitter: @BamaAlum97

The University of Alabama: Class of 1997
    Oklahoma State University: Class of 2005

There is a fine line between being a "die-hard" fan and just another critic!

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Fascinating thread. I would add that not every structure is best in every dimension, so it is worth considering which areas are improved by a playoff and if/where the costs fall.

In which structure does Alabama win the most championships? I'm inclined to say that the larger the playoff, the more it benefits the "smaller" programs with the easiest schedule. I'm not sure where the inflection point is, probably a 4-team playoff is sufficiently exclusive of small programs.

Which structure offers the most regular season excitement? Probably, the setup with the smallest playoff. But there is always a "cusp", and on the cusp there is excitement as the season closes out. However, for the elite programs with championship hopes, currently the early games are just as exciting and deadly as any playoff game.

Which structure offers the most post-season excitement? Well, obviously, a larger playoff. Seems like the trade-off between regular season and playoff is a bit of a zero-sum game. My preference is for regular season, but I will enjoy playoffs if/when they arrive in force.

Which structure is the most unique in all of sports? That would be the current system. A 4-team playoff stays fairly close to the formula. In this I agree strongly with RedStar that playoffs always expand. At some scale, a large playoff absolutely must impact regular season excitement.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAFAN IN NY View Post
    Who cares who wins those games? Remember how exciting last saturday was? That excitement all goes away with a playoff.
    Last Saturday was exciting but I would rather the excitement include our team. We were on the outside looking in. And last Saturdays excitement could still happen in the run up to the playoff when teams would still be competing for the select 4.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I'm taking a "wait and see" approach.
    ---------------------------------------

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

Robert Frost

BamaNation First Team bamatex82's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    The problem is, it wont be 4. By 2030, I can almost guarantee you that it will be 16+. Name me one sport that hasn't expanded it's playoff format since it began. Please. I'm seriously asking. I've yet to find one.

My problem isn't the 4 team playoff. Honestly, a 4 team playoff is better than what we've got, and teams 5-8 shouldn't have a horse in the race. Playoffs ALWAYS expand. Always.
    Bingo!