News Article: ESPN Reaches 12-Year Agreement For New College Football Playoff

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
Specifically, the arrangement would provide ESPN with rights to:

• Championship Games: Coverage of each year’s championship game pitting the semifinal winners against each other on the Monday at least seven days after the semifinals at sites to be determined by the commissioners
  • Semifinals: Coverage of two semifinals each year matching four seeded teams identified by a selection committee to be named by the commissioners. The semifinals will be rotated among six bowl games consisting of three “contract bowls” and three “host bowls” to be determined by the commissioners.
  • Additional bowls in the playoff format: Coverage of all remaining games from the sites of the three “host bowls” during the years those bowls are not semifinal sites. Note: ESPN had previously secured the rights to the Rose, Sugar and Orange Bowl games for the same 12-year period (through January 2026).
  • Related programming:Exclusive rights to branded content throughout each season, including the official team-selection announcement.
Mash Here

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I wish that there would be more time between the semifinals and the championship game, and that the semi's would be held at the home of the higher seeded team. But, I guess they have to look out for the bowls.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I wish that there would be more time between the semifinals and the championship game, and that the semi's would be held at the home of the higher seeded team. But, I guess they have to look out for the bowls.
I've come to the conclusion that this is nothing if not an extension of the current BCS power structure. Oh sure, they've gone to a committee instead of a ranking system, and added two games, but the whole point in this entire ordeal was to A. make more money, and B. further entrench the "power conferences."

It was never really about a playoff for the sake of a playoff, as some college football fans had hoped. The exact same frustrations will be present in this system - in fact they will be compounded. But the money will continue to roll in...

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I've come to the conclusion that this is nothing if not an extension of the current BCS power structure. Oh sure, they've gone to a committee instead of a ranking system, and added two games, but the whole point in this entire ordeal was to A. make more money, and B. further entrench the "power conferences."

It was never really about a playoff for the sake of a playoff, as some college football fans had hoped. The exact same frustrations will be present in this system - in fact they will be compounded. But the money will continue to roll in...
haven't they really only added one game? the semifinal losers won't play a consolation game right?

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
haven't they really only added one game? the semifinal losers won't play a consolation game right?
Yes, and with student athletes, I can't believe they would expand to more games, considering the current bowl structure. Maybe I'm naive, however with conference championships, and a 12 game regular season, I just don't see how...I couldn't believe it when they went to the 2014 structure, though I'm glad they did.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Yes, and with student athletes, I can't believe they would expand to more games, considering the current bowl structure. Maybe I'm naive, however with conference championships, and a 12 game regular season, I just don't see how...I couldn't believe it when they went to the 2014 structure, though I'm glad they did.
Couldn't they drop a regular-season game and add a round of playoffs? I would think the money from an extra round of playoffs would be sufficient to offset the lost revenue of going back to 11 games.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Well, they've added 2 games to the overall mix. There will now be 6 "contract" bowls. Three will be the playoff, and the other three will be big bowl games played on Dec. 31 and Jan. 1. They'll rotate them somehow every year. But no consolation game for the losers of the playoff.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.