Link: NCAA investigating Auburn's football program

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I really think we should not worry what is going to happen to Auburn. Our focus should be Alabama. We are back in thick of the National Championship hunt and all we can do is talk about Auburn and the NCAA. I for one wish the mods would remove this thread and lets talk some real football.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!!!
Moo!

Crimson_Knight

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2006
For as long as I remember these guys either were on probation or being looked into. History keeps repeating itself with these guys. A death penalty type deal will have to be sent down from the NCAA to get the Barn to stop.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Everything that is happening down on the farm is par for the course. The only "surprising" thing in the recent string of events down there is what happened in 2010 when the planets misaligned to allow them to win a championship. Ironically, it was their recruiting tactics that got them their "superman" and it will be their recruiting tactics that will get them their sanctions.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
It would be suicide for Auburn not to pay Chizik his buyout, which is saying that Chizik came into a clean program. I would bet that Chizik could prove that to be false, a long with every Head Coach and Coordinator dating back to Pat Dye. If they attempted to stiff him, I would not be surprised to see players/people coming out in his defense.

It will never happen, and at the same time show that they have been dirty for a while.

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I believe the "NCAA" clause got removed from his contract in 2011...
Yeah, it did... Here is a link that mentions it. I thought I had remembered this.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6661920

I was thinking about this over the holiday. If were are into conspiracy theories here as Scab mentions, then I think it might be possible that someone from Chizik's camp leaked the investigation in Auburn. He would still get his buyout based on the above - but he could certainly put a chill on their coaching hire going forward with the NCAA snooping around. By doing this its just a little payback for all that went down on the Cam thing.

Based on my interpretation of his whole tenure, Chizik was hired by Dye and the PTBs there to be more or less a figurehead coach. I think his staff was largely put together for him, including Trooper and Luper and maybe even Malzahn. After winning the national championship he renegotiates his contract with a high buyout that gets paid even in the event of a NCAA investigation. How does that happen? I think it suggests that Chizik wanted to get paid for going along with the scams to get Cam and other players and knowing how the machine operated. Just like any good coach is coached to do - dont leave any money on the table on the way out. Auburn paid Tuberville under basically the same circumstances essentially because he was a good man. And just like with Bowden you have not heard a peep from Tuberville about his time there and neither will you hear from Chizik either. Malzahn leaves for a head job but lesser money but knew inevitably that he would be tainted for life if stayed any longer. This entire season and the downfall of the program is being placed a Chiz's feet and this could be the only payback he gets on the way out.

The upper structure of the Athletic Dept has kept this investigation as quiet as possible for the last several months. They had every reason to keep the investigation quiet because they knew it would hurt recruiting and the new hire effort. The AU AD didnt need to disclose this at this particular time to justify firing Chizik - they already had all the public support from their fan base prior to this information. That's why I believe someone from Gene's camp leaked this info out.

TriCountyTider

All-American
Aug 7, 2012
Yeah, it did... Here is a link that mentions it. I thought I had remembered this.

I was thinking about this over the holiday. If were are into conspiracy theories here as Scab mentions, then I think it might be possible that someone from Chizik's camp leaked the investigation in Auburn. He would still get his buyout based on the above - but he could certainly put a chill on their coaching hire going forward with the NCAA snooping around. By doing this its just a little payback for all that went down on the Cam thing.

Based on my interpretation of his whole tenure, Chizik was hired by Dye and the PTBs there to be more or less a figurehead coach. I think his staff was largely put together for him, including Trooper and Luper and maybe even Malzahn. After winning the national championship he renegotiates his contract with a high buyout that gets paid even in the event of a NCAA investigation. How does that happen? I think it suggests that Chizik wanted to get paid for going along with the scams to get Cam and other players and knowing how the machine operated. Just like any good coach is coached to do - dont leave any money on the table on the way out. Auburn paid Tuberville under basically the same circumstances essentially because he was a good man. And just like with Bowden you have not heard a peep from Tuberville about his time there and neither will you hear from Chizik either. Malzahn leaves for a head job but lesser money but knew inevitably that he would be tainted for life if stayed any longer. This entire season and the downfall of the program is being placed a Chiz's feet and this could be the only payback he gets on the way out.

The upper structure of the Athletic Dept has kept this investigation as quiet as possible for the last several months. They had every reason to keep the investigation quiet because they knew it would hurt recruiting and the new hire effort. The AU AD didnt need to disclose this at this particular time to justify firing Chizik - they already had all the public support from their fan base prior to this information. That's why I believe someone from Gene's camp leaked this info out.

That all makes so much sense to me.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
Regarding whether or not we should be discussing Auburn: I believe we should.
They are in the same state, they are one of our arch-rivals, and they have a long history of dubious behavior.
Even more disturbing is the recent rash of criminal behavior down there, which goes well beyond football.
And add to all that the denial by the Auburn nation, their ongoing and preposterous appeal to their creed, and their in-bred belief that they own the moral high ground, and it makes for a fascinating study in mass psychology.

The UA programs, including football, aspire to athletic and academic success.
Auburn has aspirations, as well, but those are based on how well they do in comparison to Alabama.
That, in my opinion, is the essential difference.
It is also their wound.
Until they move past that they'll never achieve the success they crave.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
And just like with Bowden you have not heard a peep from Tuberville about his time there
Don't think this statement will be true for much longer----Tubs didn't get his money as a hush fee. He got his money because Auburn broke his contract, therefore voiding it.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN

Maybe Malzahn is talking..... ;-)

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Unbelievable to read again that Malzahn was making 1.3 mil when he left for Arkansas State. No doubt there was writing on the wall.......it's not like he's been stuck a coordinator for an extended period.....Arkansas for a season and Tulsa for another. He is a "?" to athletic directors and will not get a big time gig for at least another 2 years as head coach at A.S. His chances would have been greater as a new age OC at Auburn for 3 years, which would have been the end of this season. Obviously the word was out this time last year concerning recruiting practices. They probably would have won 8 games if he had stayed, which would probably been enough to land him a job like Kentucky. But they paid a price for the NC

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.