Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team TidePride50's Avatar

Kirby says "no thanks" to Kentucky.....

I think this offseason will tell us a lot about the future of both Smart and Saban. If Smart does stay, I kinda have the feeling that means there may be a plan in place for him to be the next head coach. If he were to leave, to me that says Saban is planning on being around a good bit longer. All speculation on my part.

RTR '12!
    "Touch dat thang folk!"
    -Cortney Upshaw

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Kirby says "no thanks" to Kentucky.....

Quote Originally Posted by marcusroby View Post
    Coach Stallings was not great at his earlier jobs by his own admission but he had that "it" plus experience doing it himself.
    Even Coach Saban talks about how much he learned in his first couple coaching jobs, and it impacted how he coached in the future. There have been examples of coaches who went straight from star coordinators to great head coaches. And then there's Gene Chizik and Mike Dubose.

My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Heir apparents don't always workout the way you think they will.
    Agree. I hope they go for the best coach available when Nick retires. keeping it in the family rarely works out. probably get Gruden and pay him 9-12 mil/year. do I really have to put a smiley behind the Gruden comment? BTW, way to go coach Smart, you can do better than UK.
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation All-SEC TheAccountant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheSabanator View Post
    This statement probably won't be popular, but I think Saban is the one who is in control of the defense, not Kirby.
    Sure, Kirby plays the DC role, but it is Saban's brain behind Kirby. Does anyone agree that Kirby Smart is overrated?
    I am basically saying that Kirby is Saban's puppet.
    All I need to do is look at his salary to know that CNS values him. Do overrated puppets make $1+ million?

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

This statement probably won't be popular, but I think Saban is the one who is in control of the defense, not Kirby.
    Sure, Kirby plays the DC role, but it is Saban's brain behind Kirby. Does anyone agree that Kirby Smart is overrated?
    I am assuming there is some hidden irony in this post I am not seeing.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Coach Smart is the one calling in the plays during the games not Coach Saban..Coach Saban tells his assistants how he wants the offense & defense ran..Make no mistake about it though..Coach Smart runs the defense during games..

BamaNation Second Team TraskiTideFan's Avatar

Gee, I am going to be honest. Do you not watch the ball games? Coach Smart implements the defensive schemes and calls the game from the sidelines. He isn't ever looking at Coach Saban to ask him what they need to be doing. He's running the D' and that linebacker corp and DBs' are watching him for the primary calls on the field. A durn puppet cant run a unit on the field if he's just a mouthpiece. So, NO, I don't think there are going to be too many people to agree with you.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Psychedelic on TideFans.com

My opinion of Kirby wasn't set in concrete. I hope he is as GREAT a coach as you all think he is.
    I think the jury will be out on him until he runs his OWN program. Trying not to look at this through Crimson colored glasses like most.

BamaNation All-SEC Perrett4Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Well .......ok then......I can tell you that he is NO puppet......I have had personal conversations with him and I can tell you he is his own man. I think I understand what your saying but "puppet" is a poor choice of words.....
    "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Genesis 1:1

Suspended
    My Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Perrett4Bama View Post
    Well .......ok then......I can tell you that he is NO puppet......I have had personal conversations with him and I can tell you he is his own man. I think I understand what your saying but "puppet" is a poor choice of words.....
    Then, can you see how someone might get that idea when they don't know Kirby Smart? In my humble opinion, at the end of the day, the success of the defense begins and ends with Saban. Sorry if that opinion hurts feelings.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Then, can you see how someone might get that idea when they don't know Kirby Smart? In my humble opinion, at the end of the day, the success of the defense begins and ends with Saban. Sorry if that opinion hurts feelings.
    All assistant has to run what their boss wants them to run..Coach Smart runs the defense the way Coach Saban wants him to & he runs it rather well..That's why he's considered the best of the best..Coach Smart calls the plays for the defense during games & is responsible for the defense..Bama success & failures on D falls back on the shoulder of Coach Smart..You're not giving Coach Smart enough credit if ya ask me..

BamaNation All-SEC Perrett4Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

This statement is one that I can agree with........
    "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Genesis 1:1

Suspended
    My Mood

Quote Originally Posted by TideMan09 View Post
    All assistant has to run what their boss wants them to run..Coach Smart runs the defense the way Coach Saban wants him to & he runs it rather well..That's why he's considered the best of the best..Coach Smart calls the plays for the defense during games & is responsible for the defense..Bama success & failures on D falls back on the shoulder of Coach Smart..You're not giving Coach Smart enough credit if ya ask me..
    I think you are correct. I probably am not giving Kirby enough credit. Am I giving Saban too much credit then? Nope.