Kirby says "no thanks" to Kentucky.....

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I'd rather he go get some HC experience and then come back.
BB said it best.
I'd like to see Kirby at a good school for a couple of years and let him become 'Seasoned'.
THEN...
Kirby might develop into a possible successor to Coach Saban.
BTW: I like him a lot as a future coach.
Kirby has learned from the best.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
This statement probably won't be popular, but I think Saban is the one who is in control of the defense, not Kirby.
Sure, Kirby plays the DC role, but it is Saban's brain behind Kirby. Does anyone agree that Kirby Smart is overrated?
I am basically saying that Kirby is Saban's puppet.

Kirby is no one's puppet.

Kirby does run Coach Saban's Defense, as Nuss runs the Offense that Coach Saban has in place.
When you work for someone, you do what they generally want done...
Only an idiot tries to do it all himself. Too much 'Hands On' doesn't develop the coordinators.
IMO: Kirby Smart wouldn't have stayed at Alabama if he didn't have a degree of control
over our Defensive alignment, and couldn't call plays...
SABANATOR... Did you ever see Coach Smart looking over his shoulder at Coach Saban to see if Coach Saban approved?
BTW... Your right. Your opinion isn't the popular one on this topic.

Last edited:

marcusroby

1st Team
Jan 7, 2004
auburn,al usa
Bama has proven to not be a good fit for novice head coaches. I feel like Kirby is a great defensive mind but being a head coach is a different animal. It would be nice to see a sample of him running his own program to tell.

TidePride50

3rd Team
Jan 16, 2010
I think this offseason will tell us a lot about the future of both Smart and Saban. If Smart does stay, I kinda have the feeling that means there may be a plan in place for him to be the next head coach. If he were to leave, to me that says Saban is planning on being around a good bit longer. All speculation on my part.

RTR '12!

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Heir apparents don't always workout the way you think they will.
Agree. I hope they go for the best coach available when Nick retires. keeping it in the family rarely works out. probably get Gruden and pay him 9-12 mil/year. do I really have to put a smiley behind the Gruden comment? BTW, way to go coach Smart, you can do better than UK.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
This statement probably won't be popular, but I think Saban is the one who is in control of the defense, not Kirby.
Sure, Kirby plays the DC role, but it is Saban's brain behind Kirby. Does anyone agree that Kirby Smart is overrated?
All I need to do is look at his salary to know that CNS values him. Do overrated puppets make $1+ million?

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Coach Smart is the one calling in the plays during the games not Coach Saban..Coach Saban tells his assistants how he wants the offense & defense ran..Make no mistake about it though..Coach Smart runs the defense during games..

TraskiTideFan

1st Team
Apr 18, 2009
Savannah TN
Gee, I am going to be honest. Do you not watch the ball games? Coach Smart implements the defensive schemes and calls the game from the sidelines. He isn't ever looking at Coach Saban to ask him what they need to be doing. He's running the D' and that linebacker corp and DBs' are watching him for the primary calls on the field. A durn puppet cant run a unit on the field if he's just a mouthpiece. So, NO, I don't think there are going to be too many people to agree with you.

TheSabanator

Suspended
Oct 1, 2011
Birmingham,Alabama
My opinion of Kirby wasn't set in concrete. I hope he is as GREAT a coach as you all think he is.
I think the jury will be out on him until he runs his OWN program. Trying not to look at this through Crimson colored glasses like most.

Perrett4Bama

All-American
Aug 28, 2001
Panama City, Florida
Well .......ok then......I can tell you that he is NO puppet......I have had personal conversations with him and I can tell you he is his own man. I think I understand what your saying but "puppet" is a poor choice of words.....:)

TheSabanator

Suspended
Oct 1, 2011
Birmingham,Alabama
Well .......ok then......I can tell you that he is NO puppet......I have had personal conversations with him and I can tell you he is his own man. I think I understand what your saying but "puppet" is a poor choice of words.....:)
Then, can you see how someone might get that idea when they don't know Kirby Smart? In my humble opinion, at the end of the day, the success of the defense begins and ends with Saban. Sorry if that opinion hurts feelings.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Then, can you see how someone might get that idea when they don't know Kirby Smart? In my humble opinion, at the end of the day, the success of the defense begins and ends with Saban. Sorry if that opinion hurts feelings.
All assistant has to run what their boss wants them to run..Coach Smart runs the defense the way Coach Saban wants him to & he runs it rather well..That's why he's considered the best of the best..Coach Smart calls the plays for the defense during games & is responsible for the defense..Bama success & failures on D falls back on the shoulder of Coach Smart..You're not giving Coach Smart enough credit if ya ask me..

TheSabanator

Suspended
Oct 1, 2011
Birmingham,Alabama
All assistant has to run what their boss wants them to run..Coach Smart runs the defense the way Coach Saban wants him to & he runs it rather well..That's why he's considered the best of the best..Coach Smart calls the plays for the defense during games & is responsible for the defense..Bama success & failures on D falls back on the shoulder of Coach Smart..You're not giving Coach Smart enough credit if ya ask me..
I think you are correct. I probably am not giving Kirby enough credit. Am I giving Saban too much credit then? Nope.

Stonewall1959

2nd Team
Oct 5, 2005
Macon, Georgia
I think this offseason will tell us a lot about the future of both Smart and Saban. If Smart does stay, I kinda have the feeling that means there may be a plan in place for him to be the next head coach. If he were to leave, to me that says Saban is planning on being around a good bit longer. All speculation on my part.
RTR '12!
You and I think alike on this. I believe the offseason will tell us a lot about the future of Alabama and it's head coach. Like some others, though, I don't think Kirby leaves Bama unless a truly stellar opportunity is offered to him. Maybe Tennessee, but does he really want to play Saban year in and year out? I just don't see it. If he stays another year he might get a shot at USC or Texas, though.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
In practice Coach Saban loves to work with the DB's that's what he likes to do. But the DB's are not the whole Defense. LB's are the QB of the D & if you look on the sidelines during a game you can clearly see Kirby calls the defensive alignment. I have no doubt that on Game day Kirby has control of the D. Now does CNS step in? Yes & he should this is His program. He steps in on Special team & the O as well.

Funny reminds me of a story I heard years ago.

Another coach & CPB were out for drinks at around 2 AM & CPB needed to come back & get something out of his office. There was a light on in an office down the hall, the other coach said Whts that.

Coach Bryant replied That Donahue making me look like a genius.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.