SEC fans frustrated over cell service

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Probably overloaded the local tower.

Especially if it happened at the end of the LSU game. Imagine how many pictures/videos/calls happened right then.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
What did we ever do at games before cell phones. Oh wait...I remember. We watched the game!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Problems are related to volume of calls and text from the stadium. Before a big game... OK.
It can become hit or miss during the game.
I use Verizon and never have a problem.
NOTE: I'm usually too busy watching the game to use my phone.

Last edited:

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I was at the AM game, and cell phone service was bad. I have ATT, and it took like five minutes to send my brother a text message. I couldn't check mail or anything, and I had 3G. Wasn't that big of a deal, but a little frustrating.

acbl_phill

Scout Team
Aug 25, 2010
Birmingham
AT&T service is horrible on gameday and is nonexistent inside the stadium. AT&T says every year that service is going to get better and it never does.

The last game I was at was the A&M game and I was trying to text and look at scores and nothing. I left after the game headed back to bham and right before the Mercedes exit my phone lights up like a Christmas tree, getting hours of texts at once.

So frustrating. Maybe Tuscaloosa AT&T will get LTE, but I doubt this will help.

Hamilton

Suspended
Dec 5, 2002
Hamilton
bama.ua.edu
I don't buy the stories from people claiming to have AT&T and suffering no problems with their service on game days in BDS. Unless you only have games like WCU and WKU (and even that one was bad) as frames of reference, there is no way you can state that your cell service is at 100% in BDS with AT&T. Mine rarely works at all until I leave the stadium.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
I don't blame the cell phone providers for not beefing up more. It's kind of ridiculous from a business perspective to add enough capacity, just around the stadium, to handle 100,000 more people than normal, for just six or seven days of the year. However, I'm sure some one will come up with a way to provide more capacity, on a temporary basis, as technology improves. In the meantime, watch the game and cheer, instead of texting your friends.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
I don't blame the cell phone providers for not beefing up more. It's kind of ridiculous from a business perspective to add enough capacity, just around the stadium, to handle 100,000 more people than normal, for just six or seven days of the year.
Cell phone companies have mobile units that can provide extra capacity. They typically do this for very large events. Maybe 100,000 for ~6 hours isn't enough people to justify it but they definitely can do it anytime they want to.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I went to the MSU game & it was hit and miss. Got texts in the second half but no photo upload etc. that said, hard to complain since I used to not have a cell phone for help if I broke down.

Kevin4Bama

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2005
Theodore, Alabama, United States
I don't buy the stories from people claiming to have AT&T and suffering no problems with their service on game days in BDS. Unless you only have games like WCU and WKU (and even that one was bad) as frames of reference, there is no way you can state that your cell service is at 100% in BDS with AT&T. Mine rarely works at all until I leave the stadium.
You don't have to buy it. I've never had a problem w AT&T inside BDS. I do sit in the upper deck, but never a problem.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
I have Sprint and I lose service almost as soon as I hit the Tuscaloosa city limits. Seriously it's about that bad. Forget about texting, Facebook, etc... during a game (well any big game that is)! I was able to text last weekend and about fell out of my set when it went through. First time in 5 years or so that I could text from a game at BDS.

bamaee04

All-SEC
Nov 15, 2004
Birmingham, AL
I have had T-Mobile and now have Verizon. They both have issues inside the stadium, and I had issues posting/sending pics during the MSU game. They all keep talking about improving service inside the stadium, but it has only been marginal in my opinion. I now have an iPhone 5 with LTE, so I don't know if that would help at all or not...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.