Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: John Forney and Doug Layton

Quote Originally Posted by TheSabanator View Post
    Anyone remember when Alabama was about to lose to Tennessee? I can't remember what year. As Layton saw the fans celebrating, he saw Smokey the Tennessee dog mascot, and he said ON AIR,
    "If I had a gun, I would shoot him!"..............
    I could be wrong, but I've always heard that quote attributed to Jerry Duncan on the sideline before a UT game in the 1970s.
    Undefeated World Champion Threadkiller

2. Advertisement
    Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Psychedelic on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    I could be wrong, but I've always heard that quote attributed to Jerry Duncan on the sideline before a UT game in the 1970s.
    I am 100% sure Layton said it.........

BamaNation Second Team StatHaldol's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tide Rev View Post
    I grew up listening to John and Doug on a transistor radio and it was like I was in the stadium with them. Their voices were easily recognizable and easy to listen to. We were only able at that time to see 3-4 games a year on TV including the bowl game at the most so I had to rely on the radio and my imagination until Sunday afternoon to see the Bear Bryant Show and actually see what happened.The games did not last for 3 1/2 to 4 hours either. Seems like the games were done in 2 - 2 1/2 hours time back then. They made Bama legendary and bigger than life with their calls of the games.
    That sounds like my childhood!! Some good memories of listening to John and Doug.

BamaNation Hall of Fame exiledNms's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good times listening to those guys. I'm fairly sure there was some extra mental lubrication involving adult beverages happening in some of those cold pressboxes back in the day... But they were great to listen to. And toss in Jerry Duncan on the sideline: (in Neyland) "Listen to them; they hate us! Well by God, I hate them too. Back to you, Doug."
    exiled

-------------------------
    "Let's see when we get a full body of work at the end of the season. If you get satisfied and you fall in love with yourself, you get complacent and lose your desire."
    Nick Saban