John Forney and Doug Layton

thetwonewguru

Suspended
Aug 11, 2006
A few days ago, I posted for people to share their memories about the 69 Bama/Ole Miss shootout. I am currently writing a book (fictional) about the game and was wondering if anyone would like to share their memories about Forney and Layton. Thanks in advance.

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
They were a perfect match.

Doug's quick wit and fruity voice with John's ability to paint a picture with words, and seemingly without effort.

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
I grew up listening to John and Doug on a transistor radio and it was like I was in the stadium with them. Their voices were easily recognizable and easy to listen to. We were only able at that time to see 3-4 games a year on TV including the bowl game at the most so I had to rely on the radio and my imagination until Sunday afternoon to see the Bear Bryant Show and actually see what happened.The games did not last for 3 1/2 to 4 hours either. Seems like the games were done in 2 - 2 1/2 hours time back then. They made Bama legendary and bigger than life with their calls of the games.

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
You know, I love my big screen HDTV and being able to watch almost every game that's played.

But there was something magical about those old radio broadcast, just great memories.
They were a good combo on the radio, John being one of the greats.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Some years back many of Bama's games were not TV or I was unable to watch. The only way to follow the game was listening to Tide radio. I can still remember many of those broadcasts. There was a game I believe in 1986 against Florida. Florida was favored, but we won. I was driving in my car a couple of states away and the reception was very bad. The game broadcast was intermingled with a country music station. Alabama was moving the ball and about to score. John was calling the play when a country song started playing. I almost ran off the road while using language that would get me banned from this site. Finally, what seemed like a couple of minutes the broadcast came back and Bama had scored.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
I grew up in north Alabama listening to John and doug on the AM radio of pick up truck while pulling corn and loading it in the truck in the 60s. That is my start as a Bama fan and later got a degree at Bama. The Ole Miss - Bama game of '69 was not one of my fund memories, to be honest. The best call they made in my opinion was the '71 Bama vs USC game when Bama opened with the wishbone and whipped the Trojans that year.

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
The best call they made in my opinion was the '71 Bama vs USC game when Bama opened with the wishbone and whipped the Trojans that year.
I remember staying up late to listen to that one...kinda tough for a 9 year old back in the day. I also remember the 1972 Tennessee game was a classic. The 1975 Bama Fla St game was supposed to be a cakewalk, since FlaSt had one of the longest losing streaks in the nation, but it was anything but...it was a 8-7 nailbiter...I was helping my Dad and Grandfather re-carpet a couple of rooms that day...we didn't get alot accomplised to say the least...

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
The best call they made in my opinion was the '71 Bama vs USC game when Bama opened with the wishbone and whipped the Trojans that year.
I agree. Listened to that late night game on the AM radio in my '68 Fairlane. Nighttime played havoc on AM radio...had to drive around till I found a sweetspot. :biggrin:
As much as I like Eli, there's only one "Voice of the Crimson Tide"...John Forney.

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
You know, I love my big screen HDTV and being able to watch almost every game that's played.

But there was something magical about those old radio broadcast, just great memories.
They were a good combo on the radio, John being one of the greats.
I think part of it was that you could be doing something else and still involved - not a slave to the HDTV. I remember playing basketball, raking leaves, riding bikes, etc and all while tunied in to John and Doug.

People are becoming more and more introverted as slaves to the HDTV, computer, ipad, and smart phone.

The art of conversation is being lost.

TheSabanator

Suspended
Oct 1, 2011
Birmingham,Alabama
Anyone remember when Alabama was about to lose to Tennessee? I can't remember what year. As Layton saw the fans celebrating, he saw Smokey the Tennessee dog mascot, and he said ON AIR,
"If I had a gun, I would shoot him!"..............:)

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Anyone remember when Alabama was about to lose to Tennessee? I can't remember what year. As Layton saw the fans celebrating, he saw Smokey the Tennessee dog mascot, and he said ON AIR,
"If I had a gun, I would shoot him!"..............:)
I could be wrong, but I've always heard that quote attributed to Jerry Duncan on the sideline before a UT game in the 1970s.

StatHaldol

Scout Team
Oct 23, 2011
Lake Darbonne, Louisiana
I grew up listening to John and Doug on a transistor radio and it was like I was in the stadium with them. Their voices were easily recognizable and easy to listen to. We were only able at that time to see 3-4 games a year on TV including the bowl game at the most so I had to rely on the radio and my imagination until Sunday afternoon to see the Bear Bryant Show and actually see what happened.The games did not last for 3 1/2 to 4 hours either. Seems like the games were done in 2 - 2 1/2 hours time back then. They made Bama legendary and bigger than life with their calls of the games.
That sounds like my childhood!! Some good memories of listening to John and Doug.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
Good times listening to those guys. I'm fairly sure there was some extra mental lubrication involving adult beverages happening in some of those cold pressboxes back in the day...;) But they were great to listen to. And toss in Jerry Duncan on the sideline: (in Neyland) "Listen to them; they hate us! Well by God, I hate them too. Back to you, Doug." :biggrin:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.