Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

How much longer can Mack Brown last at Texas?

It just amazes me how this guy keeps his job with his year in and year out under achievements. He brings in these top 10, most of the time Top 5 recruiting classes and Texas just isn't very good. How can that be?

Ever since they lost to Bama a few years ago, it's like the wheels came off that program. They have great tradition, gobs and gobs of in state talent, great facilities, fan support. It's just mind boggling to me how Mack Brown could have his teams perform so badly and he keeps his job.

I have to think if he's not fired after this season, his coaching seat will be scorching hot next fall.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Re: How much longer can Mack Brown last at Texas?

He's perfect for Texas.

Over-hyped, overrated, whiny, and entitled.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GreatDanish's Avatar

His first "bad" year was 2010, so they wouldn't fire him after top ten finishes in seven of the nine prior seasons. They improved in 2011. This is really the first year his seat really becomes hot, in my opinion. His record has allowed him a little leeway.

Suspended

I think he was gone before this game. It will probably be announced as a retirement.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Oklahoma stomps Texas lately. Mack does less with his talent than any HC I know of. I can't believe they keep him around, promising to fix what is wrong.
    An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support. John Buchan

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Gruden would be perfect for them. He wouldn't be any better than, if as good as, Brown.

Probably the job he has been waiting on. He has said privately that he would get back in if the right one opened up.

BamaNation Second Team
    My fear has always been that Texas would actually hire someone who is really good. They have recruiting, facilities & more money than God. I have one friend who is a TX alum, he covets CNS, but realizes that is likely a forlorn hope. He would also like Les Miles. As odd as that may seem, I would prefer Miles not have that kind of money & talent available to him.

BamaNation All-SEC Proxigean Tide's Avatar

The boost of Texas A&M from joining the SEC is going to make them extremely hard to compete with...Texas has to be the best team in their state but with Mack Brown they aren't. RTR.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDanish View Post
    His first "bad" year was 2010, so they wouldn't fire him after top ten finishes in seven of the nine prior seasons. They improved in 2011. This is really the first year his seat really becomes hot, in my opinion. His record has allowed him a little leeway.
    Yeah, he has hit a rough patch and it maybe sinking downward into mediocrity, but folks forget that Mack Brown brought Texas back to national attention since he arrived in 1998. Their last national title was in 1970 with Royal. They have played in 4 BCS games, two of them for titles. before that they were off the radar.

From 1984 to 1998 when Mack arrived, Texas was never ranked higher than 11th, and more years than not they weren't even ranked. In the same 14 years since he took control, they have had 5 top 5 finishes; two more in the top 10, and then 4 more in the top 25. Folks complain, but when teh books close on Brown's chapter in Texas, the only coach that will surpass him is Royal himself.
    Last edited by FThomas; November 23rd, 2012 at 11:54 AM.

BamaNation Second Team

I agree that Mack Brown made them better than they were before. There is no denying that. But at this point his time has past if he can't consistently win the league and nat'l championships. He has become a victim of his own success. Before Mack top 10 finish was acceptable. But now that the program is on a different level, that is not acceptable. I believe it is time for a "retirement" after making Texas prominent. But it all depensds on how his seasons end. They can't outright fire the guy at this point yet. but if he loses to Kansas st and a bowl then i can see it. but if he lucks up and beats kansas st., no way they can fire him without looking bad.

BamaNation Second Team CRMSNtide's Avatar

I hope they keep him, a really good coach could unleash monster at that school.
    Mack Brown gives your the boring 8-5 type teams these days.

BamaNation First Team Crimson Grin's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I support the group that votes to keep him, cause he's doing a fine job. On the other hand, I wonder what them steers think of Mushcamp now.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TexasBama's Avatar

Right now, Texas has to look up to see TAMU. Don't see that changing as long as Mack is there.