Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American REBELZED's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much longer can Mack Brown last at Texas?

I still think Mack was banking on winning the NC with Colt and sailing off into the sunset of retirement as a Texas legend. Then we crushed them in the title game and he seems to have mailed it in since then.
    That's the paradox of success. The moment you stop to enjoy it, you are in trouble. You have to keep moving forward. It's not what you have done that's important. It's where you are going.
    — Alabama Coach Nick Saban

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

Mack Brown is a Texas-sized Mark Richt.
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    He's perfect for Texas.

Over-hyped, overrated, whiny, and entitled.

In fact, these are the goals on his annual evaluation.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

The main components of a football team are the coaching and the players (who are recruited by the coaches). Since the beatdown in the NCG, Texas has gone 21-15 while Bama is 32-5. It's pretty obvious that Bama has better coaching, better players, or as I suspect, both. Texas, with their recruiting prowess, facilities, money, and overall reputation, should at least be competitive. Brown has done less with more. Three years removed from the NCG and just like the Aubbies....they're young...perpetually.
    If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by REBELZED View Post
    I still think Mack was banking on winning the NC with Colt and sailing off into the sunset of retirement as a Texas legend. Then we crushed them in the title game and he seems to have mailed it in since then.
    I think something similar: he was hoping to win a 2nd title with Colt and retire with Muschamp becoming the head coach. It didn't go as plan and I don't think he's been mentally as focused as he needs to be. When you were one win short of fulfilling all your career goals to your liking and it doesn't happen, you become somebody who is chasing greatness instead of building it the way you did in the past. He's put Texas into a pickle because it seems like Muschamp is the coach people thought he would be and now he's locked up at another top-tier school.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoastTider View Post
    Perfect!
    Run Johnny Run

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: How much longer can Mack Brown last at Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoastTider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    He's perfect for Texas.

Over-hyped, overrated, whiny, and entitled.
    But...but...but if Colt hadn't gotten hurt, it'd be all different.
    Undefeated World Champion Threadkiller

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sagamore Bill View Post
    My fear has always been that Texas would actually hire someone who is really good. They have recruiting, facilities & more money than God. I have one friend who is a TX alum, he covets CNS, but realizes that is likely a forlorn hope. He would also like Les Miles. As odd as that may seem, I would prefer Miles not have that kind of money & talent available to him.
    Les Miles's daughter signed to swim at Texas next year. Pay increase, getting away from Nick Saban, and coaching where your oldest child is going are good incentives.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TommyMac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by FThomas View Post
    Yeah, he has hit a rough patch and it maybe sinking downward into mediocrity, but folks forget that Mack Brown brought Texas back to national attention since he arrived in 1998. Their last national title was in 1970 with Royal. They have played in 4 BCS games, two of them for titles. before that they were off the radar.

From 1984 to 1998 when Mack arrived, Texas was never ranked higher than 11th, and more years than not they weren't even ranked. In the same 14 years since he took control, they have had 5 top 5 finishes; two more in the top 10, and then 4 more in the top 25. Folks complain, but when teh books close on Brown's chapter in Texas, the only coach that will surpass him is Royal himself.

Please don't even put his name in the same sentence with Coach Royal. He would not make a pimple on CDR's behind.

Mack Brown was a HC for 22 years, 8 at Texas, before he ever won a championship of ANY KIND! That's just flat out ridiculous especially considering all the tremendous advantages that the HC at Texas has going for him.
    "I'm just a simple plowhand from Arkansas, but I've learned over the years how to hold a team together, how to lift some men up, how to calm others down, until finally they've got one heartbeat, together, a team."

Coach Bryant

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

My question is why would anyone outside the state of Texas care? Good discussion though...

BamaNation All-SEC Timberline Tide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tide Rev View Post
    My question is why would anyone outside the state of Texas care? Good discussion though...
    Schadenfreude

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tide Rev View Post
    Because Texas a sleeping giant - like UF before Spurrier.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

I'm out here in Texas and all you ever hear from their fans in referance to the National Championship is "What is Colt wouldn't have gotten hurt", "that was a dirty hit", "Alabama has the best team money can buy". My reply is always Longhorns? huh since that game ya'll are the "Shorthorns" in my book and everyone elses...no one fears playing Texas.

All this has worn on their fans and they want Mack out. They all say he's a great guy and they would love to keep him around in some capacity but they want a firecraker in as HC.

Great time to be a TIDE fan, RTR!!