Suspended
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

The Era of Illegal Hits

Happened to watch some highlights of Bama football and saw some really nice hard hits from days gone by. But was wondering would they be legal hits now. Would Biscuit's hit vs ND and Steve B be a legal hit nowadays? Im in the group that thinks they are taking the illegal hit thing too far. You can barely touch a qb now without a personal foul.

2. Advertisement

Re: The Era of Illegal Hits

Yes some of the hits would be illegal, mainly the d-backs and receivers. It seems that college is not being effected as much as the pro's though. The hit on Lacy might have been illegal.

I see a lot of hit today where the tackler keeps his head in the same spot but the offensive man moves his helmet down to take the hit, not sure how to stop that except give them a better helmet.

At some point this is going to die out and either you play or you don't. I didn't believe so at first, but when the press started in on NASCAR, people that drive in bunches at 195mph, you have to think maybe there's not a whole lot you can do about it other than don't play, or quit the game if it becomes a problem.

"Targeting" on a stationary player like qb in the pocket or player on the ground should continue to be enforced, but IMO when two elite athletes are moving at breakneck speak (pun intended) and they collide it is almost impossible to keep some helmet on helmet hits from happening. That is football!

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

It seems like the enforcement is going further as time passes. A few years ago it was if a player "launched" himself, then it was "leading with the head," and now any helmet to helmet contact is closely evaluated.

It has to level out at some point...right?
    Last edited by Nolan; November 23rd, 2012 at 03:44 PM.
    ---------------------------------------

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

Robert Frost

The NFL absolutely goes overboard. Its illegal to nail a QB after an INT for crying out loud.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The sack was legal, and the receiver in the Liberty Bowl was not "defenseless." Those hits would still be legal. The real problem is with refs. They have to make the call in a split second, without benefit of review. Would those hits have been called penalties? Perhaps. But I agree, particularly in the NFL. I get it; people can have serious consequences down the line. They know that. They accept the risk. They are well-compensated for it. I fear for the future of football in the environment we are constructing.

Quote Originally Posted by BFANLC View Post
    Happened to watch some highlights of Bama football and saw some really nice hard hits from days gone by. But was wondering would they be legal hits now. Would Biscuit's hit vs ND and Steve B be a legal hit nowadays? Im in the group that thinks they are taking the illegal hit thing too far. You can barely touch a qb now without a personal foul.
    That was as clean a hit as there is..........