Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cecil Hurt's Comments From Finebaum's Show

Heard a portion of PF's interview with Cecil today. Normally Cecil borders on being "almost negative" about Alabama just so he doesn't sound like a Bama homer.

However, today he predicted that Bama is about to have a decade of dominance in the IB just like Bama had over Auburn in the 70's.

He even compared the 2010 IB to Auburn's 1972 win in the Punt Bama Punt game. Basically saying that would be the highlight of the decade for Auburn.

Hope he's right!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Re: Cecil Hurt's Comments From Finebaum's Show

Agree. Cecil is normally very conservative in his predictions. With everything that's going on, its hard to see another future for both programs.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

He does always seem old school to me with how cautious he is. But I heard he also predicted a shutout like around 35-0. I was surprised.

ETA: yes, he did predict 35-0

@finebaum: Drum roll .... @CecilHurt picks Alabama 35-0.
    Last edited by TideMom2Boys; November 23rd, 2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Added pick.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I hope the shut out comes through!
    ROLL TIDE!

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

I think more has to do with the direction of auburn's program and what seems to be on the horizon for them. Nick Saban has put Bama in a strong position no doubt. But as we've seen, other teams in the SEC are able to recruit and compete with us on the field. But when your program is going south and Bama continues to recruit and win like it is. The odds of competing with Bama is slim and this is the position auburn seems to be finding itself.

Couldn't happen to a better bunch of people.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

I was, unfortunately, at the 1972 "Punt Bama Punt' game. Freak events can alter the expected outcome of any game, but Auburn is so unlikely to win tomorrow that the odds are hardly worth considering. Cecil is a Bama man, conservatism or not.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    I was, unfortunately, at the 1972 "Punt Bama Punt' game. Freak events can alter the expected outcome of any game, but Auburn is so unlikely to win tomorrow that the odds are hardly worth considering. Cecil is a Bama man, conservatism or not.
    One major difference between 1972 and tomorrow is that Auburn actually a good team in 1972. It was a major upset that took a strange series of events to happen, but they were a good team. This year, not so much.
    “And the roses in this grand ol’ stadium are once again Crimson!” - Eli Gold, Jan 7th, 2010

Alabama wasn’t just dominating Monday night. They were some word that has yet to be invented in the English language. - Aaron Torres, Jan 10th, 2012

"If this was a prize fight, they'd call it off!" - Brent Musberger, Jan 7th, 2013

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Cecil called 2010 the equivalent to Punt Bama Punt and what will follow 2011-forward will be like 1973 through 1981.

BamaNation All-American lynyrd skynyrd's Avatar
    My Mood
    Twisted on TideFans.com

The barn will go down, by a Crimson Tide...
    "Footballs only brutal when one sides hittin' and the other'n ain't". Clem Gryska UA asst. coach, 1973

BamaNation All-American 230kv_barehand's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideMom2Boys View Post
    He does always seem old school to me with how cautious he is. But I heard he also predicted a shutout like around 35-0. I was surprised.

ETA: yes, he did predict 35-0

@finebaum: Drum roll .... @CecilHurt picks Alabama 35-0.
    Yea he RARELY predicts a shutout. RARELY.

Cecil is a rare commodity these days though in that he seems to really stay in the "middle". Gonna hate to see him call it quits when he does.

BamaNation Hall of Fame derek4tide's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I agree with Cecil. The barn will not score tomorrow.
    "They're not better than us," Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick said of the Tide. "They're better than everyone."

BamaNation First Team Huckleberry's Avatar
    My Mood
    Tired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideFan in AU View Post
    One major difference between 1972 and tomorrow is that Auburn actually a good team in 1972. It was a major upset that took a strange series of events to happen, but they were a good team. This year, not so much.
    You are absolutely right. It was the way Alabama lost in 1972 that was so unusual. Though the Tide was clearly the better team that year, the loss was not one of the biggest upsets ever. A barn victory this year is almost unthinkable.

Considering how fast things can change in college football these days, I certainly wouldn't predict anything past this year relative to the Iron Bowl. Auburn isn't without talent, and given the right coach, could compete with us in short order.