Cecil Hurt's Comments From Finebaum's Show

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Heard a portion of PF's interview with Cecil today. Normally Cecil borders on being "almost negative" about Alabama just so he doesn't sound like a Bama homer.

However, today he predicted that Bama is about to have a decade of dominance in the IB just like Bama had over Auburn in the 70's.

He even compared the 2010 IB to Auburn's 1972 win in the Punt Bama Punt game. Basically saying that would be the highlight of the decade for Auburn.

Hope he's right!

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Agree. Cecil is normally very conservative in his predictions. With everything that's going on, its hard to see another future for both programs.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
He does always seem old school to me with how cautious he is. But I heard he also predicted a shutout like around 35-0. I was surprised.

ETA: yes, he did predict 35-0

@finebaum: Drum roll .... @CecilHurt picks Alabama 35-0.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think more has to do with the direction of auburn's program and what seems to be on the horizon for them. Nick Saban has put Bama in a strong position no doubt. But as we've seen, other teams in the SEC are able to recruit and compete with us on the field. But when your program is going south and Bama continues to recruit and win like it is. The odds of competing with Bama is slim and this is the position auburn seems to be finding itself.

Couldn't happen to a better bunch of people. :biggrin2:

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD
I was, unfortunately, at the 1972 "Punt Bama Punt' game. Freak events can alter the expected outcome of any game, but Auburn is so unlikely to win tomorrow that the odds are hardly worth considering. Cecil is a Bama man, conservatism or not.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I was, unfortunately, at the 1972 "Punt Bama Punt' game. Freak events can alter the expected outcome of any game, but Auburn is so unlikely to win tomorrow that the odds are hardly worth considering. Cecil is a Bama man, conservatism or not.
One major difference between 1972 and tomorrow is that Auburn actually a good team in 1972. It was a major upset that took a strange series of events to happen, but they were a good team. This year, not so much.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Cecil called 2010 the equivalent to Punt Bama Punt and what will follow 2011-forward will be like 1973 through 1981.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
He does always seem old school to me with how cautious he is. But I heard he also predicted a shutout like around 35-0. I was surprised.

ETA: yes, he did predict 35-0

@finebaum: Drum roll .... @CecilHurt picks Alabama 35-0.
Yea he RARELY predicts a shutout. RARELY.

Cecil is a rare commodity these days though in that he seems to really stay in the "middle". Gonna hate to see him call it quits when he does.

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
One major difference between 1972 and tomorrow is that Auburn actually a good team in 1972. It was a major upset that took a strange series of events to happen, but they were a good team. This year, not so much.
You are absolutely right. It was the way Alabama lost in 1972 that was so unusual. Though the Tide was clearly the better team that year, the loss was not one of the biggest upsets ever. A barn victory this year is almost unthinkable.

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
Considering how fast things can change in college football these days, I certainly wouldn't predict anything past this year relative to the Iron Bowl. Auburn isn't without talent, and given the right coach, could compete with us in short order.

rtcjny

All-SEC
Jan 27, 2011
Hartselle ,AL
Considering how fast things can change in college football these days, I certainly wouldn't predict anything past this year relative to the Iron Bowl. Auburn isn't without talent, and given the right coach, could compete with us in short order.
You deserve a big mooo for that.

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
AU lost just once I believe, and named the team "The Amazin's"

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I agree that it's impossible to predict the future and Cecil was quick to add he wasn't trying to but just offering his opinion.

However, the factors that are easy to see are what probably led to this:

1. Bama has the best coach in football today.
2. Our recruiting is more bountiful and running over than Thanksgiving dinner.
3. Auburn is having their worst year of football in decades.
4. They are about to go through a coaching change.
5. They have serious discipline issues.
6. No matter who they may hire, he still has to face CNS in recruiting and each IB.
7. There is the possible, looming NCAA issues.

There is probably more to add to the list, but that all adds up to a pretty positive outlook for Bama and pretty bleak one for Auburn.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
A win today by Auburn would be the biggest upset in SEC history. It would be the biggest upset in college football in a generation. Bigger than USC/Stanford or Michigan/Appy State. Those games didn't involve coaches that were about to be fired.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
AU has some decent skill players but for them to hurt us Wallace has to play the game of his life. Also, the OL must have their best game of the year. I don't see those things happening. On defense their DL is talented but undisciplined however they could cause us some problems. Their LBs and DBs are among the worst in the SEC. If our OL does its job our O should put up plenty of points. UA 40 AU 6.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
This is true. Auburn can bring in the talent but they do have trouble coaching em up. All it takes is a great coach, and they're right back in the thick of things.

I agree with the score prediction but the dynasty crap.. it's just too difficult to keep it going like that. If it happens, it's great but I'm not expecting it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.