Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American BamaFlum's Avatar
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Will brain injury discoveries radically change football?

For those who played or coach, can't you minimize the exposure to being concussed by proper technique and equipment?
    RTR!

2. Advertisement
    Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: Will brain injury discoveries radically change football?

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFlum View Post
    For those who played or coach, can't you minimize the exposure to being concussed by proper technique and equipment?
    Yes, go back to fundamental tackling, which was to put your helmet to either side of the runner, wrap your arms around them and then use your weight to help bring them down. Maybe the ESPN highlight is to blame, but there is too much spearing going on.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    Yes, go back to fundamental tackling, which was to put your helmet to either side of the runner, wrap your arms around them and then use your weight to help bring them down. Maybe the ESPN highlight is to blame, but there is too much spearing going on.
    Form tackling is becoming a lost art. It is not a difficult technique to learn or put into practice. If there were some well though-out rules changes put into place to encourage better technique, a lot of the violent impact tackles would go away.

Also, ask any former NFL player this question: "If going into this game, you knew the risks of brain injury and the possible long term effects, would you still have played and would you have played any differently?"

My bet is that the vast majority will answer yes to the first part and no to the second.
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.

BamaNation Second Team

If the impact of helmet to helmet contact along the line of scrimage needs to be reduced, eliminate the 3 point stance (and the more archaic 4 point stance) and eliminate cleats and the excessive traction they produce. Eliminating cleats would probably also greatly reduce catastrophic knee injuries at all positions. Different game?...sure but a game still worth watching.

I watched the Real Sports too. And I must say I agree with the position that limiting contact in practice to 1 day a week is a very reasonable step. No college coach will do this as it will make their team soft versus the competition. But if the NCAA mandated all do it they would have no choice. Would it affect the game? Probably but IMO not in a very meaningful way

BamaNation Hall of Fame gmart74's Avatar
    My Mood
    Innocent on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Im_on_dsp View Post
    I realize you are saying this in jest but you don't really believe this do you? Your kids must be "balance challenged" because none of mine ever constantly fell and hit their head. I can't ever remember a single incident when any of my children fell AND hit their head. My wife couldn't remember any either. Nevertheless, I get your point that brain injuries can happen doing do to day activities. There just aren't that many such activities that cause humans to crash into each other numerous times a day.
    then you have magical kids bc i always see toddlers faceplanting.

back to the original question. i think we need to ban facemasks from helmets and make them soft again (well, somewhat soft like leather). the problem with helmets isnt that they dont protect enough. the problem is that they protect way too much. go back to old style helmets and i guarantee you people will stop having head to head collisions. it will simply be too painful to go head to head and people will modify their technique. watch a rugby game- incredibly violent, but you dont typically see anyone cracking heads together.

BamaNation All-American dWarriors88's Avatar
    My Mood
    Psychedelic on TideFans.com

You sign multiple waivers to play football, these players know the risks they take when they step on that field and strap that helmet on. And technology is making it easier to treat these injuries.
    At Some Places They Play Football.
    At Alabama, We LIVE It.

"...Ain't nothin' but a winner."

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I watched the Real Sports too. And I must say I agree with the position that limiting contact in practice to 1 day a week is a very reasonable step. No college coach will do this as it will make their team soft versus the competition. But if the NCAA mandated all do it they would have no choice. Would it affect the game? Probably but IMO not in a very meaningful way
    Bama actually does limit contact to some degree. Saban uses the "thud" method in practice - not tackling to the ground, since that's when most practice injuries occur. At first, I thought it would damage our tackling technique, but it doesn't seem to have done that over the last several years. I don't think our very recent spate of missed tackles really is caused by that practice. It seems more to relate to poor positioning...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

According to an NFHS study from 2008-2009:

Per 100,000 Injury Exposures the rate of Concussion incidences are:

Football - 52
    Boy's Ice Hockey - 43
    Girl's Lacrosse - 39
    Girl's Soccer -35

Boy's Lacrosse -32
    Boy's Wrestling - 22
    Girl's Basketball - 20
    Girl's Field Hockey - 18
    Boy's Soccer - 17
    Girl's Softball - 15
    Boy's Basketball - 9

My biggest complaint to our local officials on "officiating" is that they let Girl's Basketball get way out of hand as far as allowing mad scrambles for the ball and allowing the game to become to physical. The response has been, "It is very hard to officiate Girl's basketball in the first place, so it is hard for the officials to control the game."
    Last edited by Ldlane; November 24th, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
    Football changes and so do people. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

BamaNation Hall of Fame gmart74's Avatar
    My Mood
    Innocent on TideFans.com

It does seem like girls are brutal to each other and the refs just stand there looking like idiots. Girls throw elbows any chance they get. brutal savages. however those injury rates really dont have all that much to do with head injuries. i would guesstimate a substantial % of those injuries are ACL due to women's skeletal structure and muscle development.

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Will brain injury discoveries radically change football?

Quote Originally Posted by gmart74 View Post
    It does seem like girls are brutal to each other and the refs just stand there looking like idiots. Girls throw elbows any chance they get. brutal savages. however those injury rates really dont have all that much to do with head injuries. i would guesstimate a substantial % of those injuries are ACL due to women's skeletal structure and muscle development.
    That is a concussion study.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Football changes and so do people. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by gmart74 View Post
    It's really not so much about muscle development. Plenty of male football players get popped ACLs who have excellent surrounding muscle development. However, the anatomy of the female knee (femoral "key-hole" arch) does predispose to non-contact ACL ruptures. Contact-wise, the rates are about the same as for men...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

Helmets should not be used as offensive or defensive weapons.