Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Recipes

Re: Will brain injury discoveries radically change football?

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    Helmets should not be used as offensive or defensive weapons.
    True, but with a full face guard and a supposed "anti-concussion" helmet, that temptation will always be there. There's a strong argument to be made that less protection might mean, in the end, more. It'll probably be a surprise to many here, but leading with the head was taught as proper technique back in the '60s. I can't count the number of times I've heard Coach Bryant comment on his Sunday show "That's putting the old Ridell on him!"
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Concussion Study

According to the 2009-10 High School Sports-Related Injury Surveillance Study, more than 140,000 high school athletes suffer a concussion each year. The study, conducted by Dawn Comstock, Ph.D., director of the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio, also indicated that the incidence rate for concussion is highest among football players. The next two highest rates among boys sports are ice hockey and lacrosse. In girls sports, the incidence rate is highest in soccer, gymnastics and lacrosse.

BamaNation Hall of Fame gmart74's Avatar
    My Mood
    Innocent on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ldlane View Post
    That is a concussion study.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    oops then i take back everything i just ignorantly said

BamaNation First Team saraelizabethua's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

My law school had a symposium on this issue a few weeks ago... They had a panel of sports law attorneys/professors, a former NFL player (Todd Wade), and a sports medicine doctor. The panelists said all of the usual things, but the doctor pointed out a lot of the other factors NFL players face have exasperated their medical issues. The doctor played devil's advocate most of the time, which was surprising to me.

Regarding the lawsuits being brought against the NFL, I tend to agree that they accepted a certain level of risk. Unless the coaches knew (or should have known) that a player was concussed and made him play anyway, I don't think a player can just come back and sue the NFL. There should have to be extenuating circumstances.

BamaNation Hall of Fame gmart74's Avatar
    My Mood
    Innocent on TideFans.com

One thing that keeps jumping out at me isnt the head to head collisions. It is the head to ground collisions, especially on sacks or tackles where the back of the helmet slams into the ground. If they could redesign the helmet or make neck rolls mandatory, it may prevent up to half of the concussions.

BamaNation All-American CHATTBRIT's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

One of the biggest issues discussed in the Real Sports segment was the recommendation to reduce contact during practice by having only one day a week of real hitting. They said this would greatly reduce the brain damage. They evidenced this by showing the MRI of one player at the beginning of the season compared to one taken at the end of the season. There was marked reduction in the cognitive thinking part of the brain. (Not being a neurologist I take them at their word).

Soccer also has significant numbers of players with concussive symptoms from heading a speeding football, hitting heads when going for a ball, etc.
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag

According to an NFHS study from 2008-2009:

Per 100,000 Injury Exposures the rate of Concussion incidences are:

Football - 52
    Boy's Ice Hockey - 43
    Girl's Lacrosse - 39
    Girl's Soccer -35

Boy's Lacrosse -32
    Boy's Wrestling - 22
    Girl's Basketball - 20
    Girl's Field Hockey - 18
    Boy's Soccer - 17
    Girl's Softball - 15
    Boy's Basketball - 9
    Interesting the girl's version of the sports have a much higher concussion rate than the boy's version. Baseball isn't listed, wonder what it is compared to softball?

BamaNation All-American NationalTitles15's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by gmart74 View Post
    One thing that keeps jumping out at me isnt the head to head collisions. It is the head to ground collisions, especially on sacks or tackles where the back of the helmet slams into the ground. If they could redesign the helmet or make neck rolls mandatory, it may prevent up to half of the concussions.
    Agreed.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

My Mood

New Xenith Helmet:

My Mood

Well, last evening one my girls hit her head and I have my first Concussion on my team for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by bama70 View Post
    I have a concern that we are only one legal case away from high schools dropping football. The first time someone successfully sues a high school for damages related to a football injury that results in a large settlement will cause most if not all high schools to evaluate there participation in all sports. Many high schools cannot afford the cost of liability insurance if court cases become common.
    Really? Are you aware that when parents allow their son/daughter to play high school sports, they are generally asked to sign a waiver? Once they sign that, they thereby waive the right to sue the school, team, or coach, for injuries their child might receive while participating in a sports activity.
    When my grandma left this life, I didn't say bye. I said see you later.

RIP, Grandma. Forever in my heart.
    01/04/1926-08/11/2012

My generous employer gives us 104 vacation days a year. They are called Saturday and Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by We_are_Bama View Post
    Really? Are you aware that when parents allow their son/daughter to play high school sports, they are generally asked to sign a waiver? Once they sign that, they thereby waive the right to sue the school, team, or coach, for injuries their child might receive while participating in a sports activity.
    I have had the occasion to look into the question of whether a parent can waive the right of a child to sue for tort. However, the last time I looked, only a small minority of states (ten, I think) would enforce such a waiver and dismiss a suit brought on the child's behalf. Alabama, at the time, was not among them. There's an overlapping concept where public schools are concerned, and that's sovereign immunity. The crown (government) may be sued only to the extent permitted specifically by law. Most states have a form of limited liability. For example, the last time I looked at it, incorporated municipalities had a limit of $150K (may have been raised by now). Worst case I ever saw was where a member of the HSV PD T-boned a lady pulling out onto Memorial Parkway from Sam's Club. He was driving in excess of 90 mph, no lights, no siren and was driving to a call outside his area with no clearance. He had been in two previous wrecks where he was at fault and had been suspended. Limit of liability - $150K. His pockets were, naturally, empty. So, the liability of public schools, being part of government is limited by statute. I just don't know what that limit is currently. Private schools, however, are a different matter. They typically insure themselves to their financial limit because it's never safe to depend on that waiver...
    Last edited by TIDE-HSV; December 14th, 2012 at 10:55 AM. Reason: To take negative out of "Haven't"
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

According to an NFHS study from 2008-2009:

Per 100,000 Injury Exposures the rate of Concussion incidences are:

Football - 52
    Boy's Ice Hockey - 43
    Girl's Lacrosse - 39
    Girl's Soccer -35

Boy's Lacrosse -32
    Boy's Wrestling - 22
    Girl's Basketball - 20
    Girl's Field Hockey - 18
    Boy's Soccer - 17
    Girl's Softball - 15
    Boy's Basketball - 9
    Wow, that is very revealing. Thanks for posting! My first thought on this subject would be go back to leather helments to limit one's propensity to lead with the head when tackling. But studying your post leads me to believe that science and technology combined with rules/coaching changes may be the only thing to correct this about our beloved sport.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda