Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 65
  1. #40
    BamaNation All-American Al A Bama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,351
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

    Re: Will brain injury discoveries radically change football?

    Quote Originally Posted by gmart74 View Post
    I've always wondered about toddlers constantly falling down and hitting their head on the floor. I wonder how many TBI's are happening at such a young age when the brain is still developing. Maybe we should stop walking.
    If football goes the way of gladiators in the Roman Colosseum, what are we going to do?

    I just can't watch a soccer game on TV. It's too boring. With so many injuries in soccer, well it would need to be outlawed also. How about basketball? When I was in high school we played the game in what we called a cracker box. One player going full speed ran into a brick wall. Yes, resulting injury was a concussion. How about rugby?

    Maybe we should not be crawling on the floor as a toddler! Mom might accidentally drop a jar of pickles on our head. Yes, a concussion.

    Maybe we should outlaw driving. There are just too many accidents with all kinds of injuries and too many deaths also.

    There are also a lot of boating accidents, so we may need to outlaw fishing, skiing, etc. Aren't there a lot of hunting accidents? Aren't there many plane crashes. We just can't have flying anymore. It's tooooo risky. So, our government needs to outlaw living or at least let everyone become a wimp! Oh, that's risky also.

    Living in the world or on this earth is a risky business. Maybe we should just stop bringing little ones into this cold, cruel world. Someone may say something bad about them and bully them. I guess we should go the route of the dinosaurs.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

  2. Advertisement
  3. #41
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,797

    Re: Will brain injury discoveries radically change football?

    We dont have to worry about it going away per se. But we do have to worry about it being like NASCAR such that they became so consumed with safety that no one really wants to watch anymore with the Car of Tomorrow developments, etc.

    As for football, this is an area where uniform changes might actually make a difference. If you changed the color of the uniform in the area where it is legal to hit I think it would actually promote sounder tackling technique and it would certainly give the officials a visual guide to go by where anything above the numbers is a foul. I would probably make it a lesser foul though like 5 or 10 yards with facemask still being 15 yds. I would also get rid of the cut blocks too. Any play you need to set up by blocking someone below the knee is not a necessary.

    I dont think the games pose as much risk as practice. Some of the equipment used at the HS level is pitiful and dangerous. But I dont see how you can argue to take away the helmet as an effective solution. We could not stomach the accidental or non-intentional paralyzations that would come from such a move now that players are as big and fast as they are - not to mention the guys who are still willing to deliver the cheap shot (which you wont ever get rid of btw).

  4. #42
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,141

    Re: Will brain injury discoveries radically change football?

    Quote Originally Posted by JDCrimson View Post
    We dont have to worry about it going away per se. But we do have to worry about it being like NASCAR such that they became so consumed with safety that no one really wants to watch anymore with the Car of Tomorrow developments, etc.

    As for football, this is an area where uniform changes might actually make a difference. If you changed the color of the uniform in the area where it is legal to hit I think it would actually promote sounder tackling technique and it would certainly give the officials a visual guide to go by where anything above the numbers is a foul. I would probably make it a lesser foul though like 5 or 10 yards with facemask still being 15 yds. I would also get rid of the cut blocks too. Any play you need to set up by blocking someone below the knee is not a necessary.

    I dont think the games pose as much risk as practice. Some of the equipment used at the HS level is pitiful and dangerous. But I dont see how you can argue to take away the helmet as an effective solution. We could not stomach the accidental or non-intentional paralyzations that would come from such a move now that players are as big and fast as they are - not to mention the guys who are still willing to deliver the cheap shot (which you wont ever get rid of btw).
    Amen about cut blocks. As for games vs. practice, at least at the college and pro level, games seem to result in significantly more concussions per day. The collisions in practice are significant primarily for OL and DL, with repeated hits to the head that seem to have a cumulative effect. Where I used to work at Dartmouth, they were participating in some fascinating studies regarding helmet impact and cumulative brain injuries, measuring the impact forces high schoolers and college kids are undergoing. It's rather frightening stuff when you look at the sum data. Ideally, improved impact-softening gear will make enough of a difference to prevent more Dave Duerson, Junior Seau - type issues.

  5. #43
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Posts
    7,433
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

    Re: Will brain injury discoveries radically change football?

    I am starting to change my mind and believe that big money and wealthy influence will stop this out of control train at some point. It's hit the peak and has stabilized. We will see millions in promo video's of NFL greats instructing youngsters, improved helmet, mandatory tests after big hits, and stricter rules like mandatory retirement. To the owners, this is about money, be it liability or loss of ticket sales. That will motive them to protect their mostly expendable commodities.

    At some point ESPN is going to realize that they have a conflict of interest and will shut the pie hole a bit.

    Bottom line- football is the most entertaining game on the planet and creme will always rise to the top

  6. #44
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    45,050

    Re: Will brain injury discoveries radically change football?

    Quote Originally Posted by DocCrimson View Post
    Amen about cut blocks. As for games vs. practice, at least at the college and pro level, games seem to result in significantly more concussions per day. The collisions in practice are significant primarily for OL and DL, with repeated hits to the head that seem to have a cumulative effect. Where I used to work at Dartmouth, they were participating in some fascinating studies regarding helmet impact and cumulative brain injuries, measuring the impact forces high schoolers and college kids are undergoing. It's rather frightening stuff when you look at the sum data. Ideally, improved impact-softening gear will make enough of a difference to prevent more Dave Duerson, Junior Seau - type issues.
    IDK. In the end, the trauma is really caused by the brain rattling around inside the cranium. Short of having the head encased in some huge pneumatic device, making play impossible, I don't see how that can be be accomplished by any gear. In fact, there's a lot of thought now that more minimal head gear might be better...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

  7. #45
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,141

    Re: Will brain injury discoveries radically change football?

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    IDK. In the end, the trauma is really caused by the brain rattling around inside the cranium. Short of having the head encased in some huge pneumatic device, making play impossible, I don't see how that can be be accomplished by any gear. In fact, there's a lot of thought now that more minimal head gear might be better...
    Reducing the size of headgear may help reduce frequency of helmet-to-helmet collisions, but increasing the cushioning is at least as important. Some of the newer inserts that are used for certain players seem promising, but they're not widely used. Current helmet size is in some ways dictated by spinal issues, and are supposed to enable easy stabilization of the spine. Reducing helmet size too much removes that safety feature. Relying on people to learn not to use their head by minimizing headgear seems like a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion. If you minimize headgear protection, people may eventually learn to avoid hitting with their head, but the ground and gravity won't have the same reservations about contact. Whiplash and head-to-ground concussions would skyrocket without adequate headgear.

  8. #46
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,797

    Re: Will brain injury discoveries radically change football?

    Quote Originally Posted by DocCrimson View Post
    Reducing the size of headgear may help reduce frequency of helmet-to-helmet collisions, but increasing the cushioning is at least as important. Some of the newer inserts that are used for certain players seem promising, but they're not widely used. Current helmet size is in some ways dictated by spinal issues, and are supposed to enable easy stabilization of the spine. Reducing helmet size too much removes that safety feature. Relying on people to learn not to use their head by minimizing headgear seems like a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion. If you minimize headgear protection, people may eventually learn to avoid hitting with their head, but the ground and gravity won't have the same reservations about contact. Whiplash and head-to-ground concussions would skyrocket without adequate headgear.
    I agree with this... There is no way to know how many concussions occur based on HTH contact or result from contact with the ground. I dont see how you can limit the HTG contact unless we want transform in flag FB.

    I just dont understand how we can harangue over this so much - sure we need to make the game safer - but statistically its not like you are doomed to a life of drool mouth if you play the sport. If you really want to get upset about something, explain to me why 1 in 88 kids is being diagnosed with autism. Where is the national outrage over that!?

    Its really amazing to me see what gets sensationalized now - everything has to be a national crisis... How did we make it 15 minutes ago???

  9. #47
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    69

    Re: Will brain injury discoveries radically change football?

    Maybe we fans of big boy football are the dinosaurs. The game has changed a lot in the past. I bet there were old timers who complained about the loss of the flying wedge for decades afterwards. Haven't heard any complaints about that lately.

  10. #48
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,297
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

    Re: Will brain injury discoveries radically change football?

    Players feel invincible encased in their pads/helmets. Take away the pads and helmets and play will change - injuries will be fewer and less severe.

  11. #49
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    45,050

    Re: Will brain injury discoveries radically change football?

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Players feel invincible encased in their pads/helmets. Take away the pads and helmets and play will change - injuries will be fewer and less severe.
    Wonder what the concussion/injury rate is for un-padded OZ rules football, or, for that matter, English rugby. I haven't looked, but it might be interesting...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

  12. #50
    Moderator Ldlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Shonto, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    11,828
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

    Re: Will brain injury discoveries radically change football?

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Wonder what the concussion/injury rate is for un-padded OZ rules football, or, for that matter, English rugby. I haven't looked, but it might be interesting...
    Seventeen concussions were recorded, accounting for 25% of all reported injuries. The incidence rate for concussion was 3.8 per 1000 athlete-exposures (95% confidence interval, 2.0–5.7) or 11.3 per 100 player-seasons (95% confidence interval, 5.9–16.7). Of the 17 concussions, 14 were Cantu grade 1, 2 were grade 2, and 1 was grade 3. Concussions accounted for 25% of all days lost from rugby participation due to injury.
    Excerpt from Journal of Athletic Training:

    Concussion in Rugby: The Hidden Epidemic
    Football changes and so do people. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

  13. #51
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,297
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

    Re: Will brain injury discoveries radically change football?

    So, 11.3 for every 100 player-seasons translates to a given player getting one concussion every 8.4 seasons of play (including practices). That seems to be pretty low. One of every two players would experience a single concussion over a 4 year HS rugby playing career. Wonder how HS football compares.

    Interesting stats here: http://www.momsteam.com/health-safet...-school-sports
    Last edited by B1GTide; December 14th, 2012 at 11:26 PM.

  14. #52
    Moderator Ldlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Shonto, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    11,828
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

    Re: Will brain injury discoveries radically change football?

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    So, 11.3 for every 100 player-seasons translates to a given player getting one concussion every 8.4 seasons of play (including practices). That seems to be pretty low. One of every two players would experience a single concussion over a 4 year HS rugby playing career. Wonder how HS football compares.

    Interesting stats here: http://www.momsteam.com/health-safet...-school-sports
    Pretty much the same stats from the NFHS report. I think the difference in Football as opposed to rugby is that because you do wear "protective" gear you tend to use that gear to bring down the opponent. In other words, there aren't many players in rugby that want to "lead with their head" in a "head to head" hit as opposed to "helmet to helmet" which you see in football.

    That's it! Bring back the leather helmets!!! Can they be white?
    Football changes and so do people. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!