Will brain injury discoveries radically change football?

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
Knee injures were the biggest concern for a long time. Equipment and rule changes were implemented but the biggest change was an advancement in treatments after the fact. I really expect more of the same.
I have heard a lot of NFL players say, "Forget the head stuff, protect our knees."

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
I have heard a lot of NFL players say, "Forget the head stuff, protect our knees."
After seeing former players who are suffering permanent injury to knees and/or brain, one would hope they'd demand as much protection as possible in both areas. I suppose protecting the knees over the brain is more important for career longevity, but it strikes me as tremendously short-sighted. It sounds like those players would rather risk spending their post-NFL careers like Mike Webster did rather than Earl Campbell does. The logic behind that is really hard for me to grasp.

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
Out here "Rodeo" is a primary sport.
You couldn't have brought up a better example. I mean come on, the rough stock guys wear helmets, mouth pieces and kevlar vest. Yes, that's the rodeo of my childhood memories. I cried when Lane died too. He was a hero and a local boy so it hit close to home, but since then the sport has changed tremendously. I expect them to put the guys in a giant inflatable suit at some point.

After I moved away our high school rodeo team shut down because fewer and fewer kids were interested. That's in a town of 800 people in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma. Jr rodeo isn't what it was when I was young. There are still some good NIRA teams out there, but most of America has never heard of it or them. McNeese is the only one left in the state of Louisiana and there were several when I graduated high school. "Out here" as you called it is shrinking. It's part of the reason we have the big influx of foreign riders in competition today. Brazil doesn't have a bunch of overly protective parents.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.