Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BamaNation All-American buzzincuzzin's Avatar

Re: Will brain injury discoveries radically change football?

Knee injures were the biggest concern for a long time. Equipment and rule changes were implemented but the biggest change was an advancement in treatments after the fact. I really expect more of the same.

2. Advertisement

Like it or not, and I don't, the sports time as we know it is coming to an end. There will come a day when parents won't even consider signing their children up for football. The numbers in some areas are already falling off with kids looking to sports which while competitive don't deteriorate the body as badly. Golf and tennis are gaining popularity among kids and teens in some areas. Eventually football will be looked at as a backwards and at some point even a racist sport. At that point it will go the way of dog fighting.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    IDK. In the end, the trauma is really caused by the brain rattling around inside the cranium. Short of having the head encased in some huge pneumatic device, making play impossible, I don't see how that can be be accomplished by any gear. In fact, there's a lot of thought now that more minimal head gear might be better...
    You seem to have as much info on this as anyone. Not to put you on the spot, but what do you think is the best way to fix the problem?

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas4Bama View Post
    Like it or not, and I don't, the sports time as we know it is coming to an end. There will come a day when parents won't even consider signing their children up for football. The numbers in some areas are already falling off with kids looking to sports which while competitive don't deteriorate the body as badly. Golf and tennis are gaining popularity among kids and teens in some areas. Eventually football will be looked at as a backwards and at some point even a racist sport. At that point it will go the way of dog fighting.
    My Basketball player that got hurt the other night has had 3 concussions. This was her first for Basketball, the other two was "breaking horses".

Quote Originally Posted by BamaPokerplayer View Post
    You seem to have as much info on this as anyone. Not to put you on the spot, but what do you think is the best way to fix the problem?
    I'm not sure there is really a "fix" for the problem...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

My Mood

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I'm not sure there is really a "fix" for the problem...
    "You can't fix "stupid"! - Dr. House

BamaNation First Team Huckleberry's Avatar
    My Mood
    Tired on TideFans.com

I think the concern about diagnosed (i.e. noticeable) concussions is a valid one, but it's not the likely end to the sport of football as we know it. Concussions get the headlines because the symptoms can be so dramatic and the plays that caused them can be shown on TV over and over again. The real danger is the idea that it's the little hits (that happen hundreds of times a year to every football player above the age of twelve or so) that might lead to severe symptoms years later. When it's accepted that the simple act of a kid's helmeted head hitting the ground or another player over and over again causes minute brain damage each time it occurs, you can bet that parents will put a stop to their child playing football. Wait and watch the what happens if the Surgeon General equates the damage to young brains from the repeated typical contact in tackle football to drops of water eventually wearing a hole in concrete.

We can wail over the perceived lack of toughness in today's world, but that won't salve my soul when the game I love goes away. It doesn't take much litigation to change things. Try to find lawn darts in the toy section or a child riding a bike without a helmet. The phrase "won't someone think about the children" has become a mocking line in our society, but the thought behind it holds tremendous sway with today's parents. I teach elementary school and you can bet not a single one of the kids in my class would be allowed to play organized football if society accepts that doing so presents an inherent and likely danger of eventual brain damage. Sissified society or not -- real threat of brain injury or not -- public perception will rule. And if youth football dies, so does college and professional, at least as we know it.

The real issue is not the one hit that causes a TBI. It's the thousands of little hits in youth football that don't seem to matter at the time that are beginning to cause real concern.
    Last edited by Huckleberry; December 15th, 2012 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldlane View Post
    My Basketball player that got hurt the other night has had 3 concussions. This was her first for Basketball, the other two was "breaking horses".
    40 years ago no one would even think twice about what you just said. Today a good number will cringe and wonder why anyone would let a child get on a horse that hasn't been saddle broke.

My Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas4Bama View Post
    40 years ago no one would even think twice about what you just said. Today a good number will cringe and wonder why anyone would let a child get on a horse that hasn't been saddle broke.
    Out here "Rodeo" is a primary sport.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by buzzincuzzin View Post
    Knee injures were the biggest concern for a long time. Equipment and rule changes were implemented but the biggest change was an advancement in treatments after the fact. I really expect more of the same.
    I have heard a lot of NFL players say, "Forget the head stuff, protect our knees."

My Mood

I have heard a lot of NFL players say, "Forget the head stuff, protect our knees."
    By then the "Brain Damage" has become very obvious by statements like that!

BamaNation First Team Huckleberry's Avatar
    My Mood
    Tired on TideFans.com

After seeing former players who are suffering permanent injury to knees and/or brain, one would hope they'd demand as much protection as possible in both areas. I suppose protecting the knees over the brain is more important for career longevity, but it strikes me as tremendously short-sighted. It sounds like those players would rather risk spending their post-NFL careers like Mike Webster did rather than Earl Campbell does. The logic behind that is really hard for me to grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldlane View Post
    Out here "Rodeo" is a primary sport.
    You couldn't have brought up a better example. I mean come on, the rough stock guys wear helmets, mouth pieces and kevlar vest. Yes, that's the rodeo of my childhood memories. I cried when Lane died too. He was a hero and a local boy so it hit close to home, but since then the sport has changed tremendously. I expect them to put the guys in a giant inflatable suit at some point.

After I moved away our high school rodeo team shut down because fewer and fewer kids were interested. That's in a town of 800 people in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma. Jr rodeo isn't what it was when I was young. There are still some good NIRA teams out there, but most of America has never heard of it or them. McNeese is the only one left in the state of Louisiana and there were several when I graduated high school. "Out here" as you called it is shrinking. It's part of the reason we have the big influx of foreign riders in competition today. Brazil doesn't have a bunch of overly protective parents.