Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

Re: ESPN Gushing over Notre Dame

We have all heard how they have played a tougher schedule. So I went through the record of the teams they have played versus ours. The combined record of the teams they have played is 79-62. Ours is 70-72. Not that big a difference and we still have one more game to play. Versus Michigan our one common opponent, they won I believe it was 13-7 and we killed them 41-14. Anyway just food for thought.
    Last edited by 10Bama54; November 25th, 2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: found an error in record

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Pensive on TideFans.com

Big A Re: ESPN Gushing over Notre Dame

The sports media has not always been in love with ND. If that were true they would had given the the National Champ. in 93 which they deserved, but they awarded it to FSU. Which ND had defeated that yr 31-24 I believe. Because the media love toward Bobby Bowden was much greater than ND love. In fact except for the Sporting News,Lou Holtz and Brent Musberger, The media has been openly critical of ND for having too high academic standards,not belonging to a conference,having their own TV contract, being invited to bowls in which they were outmatched and for being a once mighty but now average program that is over exposed. Since the mid 1990's ND has been more media whipping boy than darling so let them have their time in the sun. I still think we win by at least ten due to our recent history of being there before and our overall team speed. Go Bama and RTR.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CoachThomas View Post
    The sports media has not always been in love with ND. If that were true they would had given the the National Champ. in 93 which they deserved, but they awarded it to FSU. Which ND had defeated that yr 31-24 I believe. Because the media love toward Bobby Bowden was much greater than ND love. In fact except for the Sporting News,Lou Holtz and Brent Musberger, The media has been openly critical of ND for having too high academic standards,not belonging to a conference,having their own TV contract, being invited to bowls in which they were outmatched and for being a once mighty but now average program that is over exposed. Since the mid 1990's ND has been more media whipping boy than darling so let them have their time in the sun. I still think we win by at least ten due to our recent history of being there before and our overall team speed. Go Bama and RTR.
    Stop trying to inject logic into this discussion.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

BamaNation All-American RammerJammer14's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Woot on TideFans.com

I don't mind them getting lots of media attention, in fact I hope it swells their heads all the way to January. However, I did think it was ridiculous that ESPN all but said that God put them in the NC game. Destiny's Darlings? lol.
    -Why's it us Sergeant? Why us?
    -Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

-"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
    -"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamanut_aj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

why wouldn't ESPN gush over notre dumb? They are one of the biggest brands in CFB, and they are ranked #1. ESPN would need to fire their entire staff if someone made the decision NOT to talk about them.

BamaNation Second Team FriendlyIrish's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 10Bama54 View Post
    We have all heard how they have played a tougher schedule. So I went through the record of the teams they have played versus ours. The combined record of the teams they have played is 79-62. Ours is 70-72. Not that big a difference and we still have one more game to play. Versus Michigan our one common opponent, they won I believe it was 13-7 and we killed them 41-14. Anyway just food for thought.
    ND finished the season by beating 9 bowl-eligible teams. Bama has beaten 5, Georgia 4 (You guys will have 6 after next weekend). We have a tough schedule. Sagarin has us only behind Florida in top ten, I believe.

Either way, I agree ESPN is all over us. But let's not forget, ESPN would be all over any team that will potentially challenge the SEC and their dominance of NC's the past decade. If it was Ohio State and Urban, would you still say the same things? B/c they would get the love. If it was Oregon, would you say the same? B/c Chip would get the love. And Schneider would get coach of the year.

It is ND, and we are obviously a polarizing team. I agree that we have been getting much love, but its been 20 years.

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

"RogueElephant 05:34 AM Today Let's just beat GA and worry about ND later. Just saying"
    What he said!

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

I also hope that we can beat Georgia to set up the national title game with Notre Dame. That will be huge. Not to mention, we won't go to a BCS bowl game if we lose. It seems that Florida is going to get the Sugar Bowl spot, so it is either SEC champs and national title game or a much less distinguished bowl game. I hope we whip UGA like a rented mule. If we do, I will be happy listening to all of the Notre Dame love for a month.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JD95 View Post
    It's not just you. The gushing is sickening and will continue non-stop for the next 45 days. Don't know how old you are, but anyone under about 30 years old has no idea how awful the national media are when Notre Dame is good. You're all about to learn . . .
    The good thing is that "what the media thinks" has no bearing on anything other than irritating the people who let them get under their skin. Notre Dame hasn't been relevant for 20 years - I have no problem letting them have their moment in the sun. They've earned it. If they get to play UGA, they may even get another National Title. If they play us though, they can forget about it......... I'll take a rested Alabama team and give them 20 points.
    JUST WIN
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Tebow cried, Cam lied, Trees died, and LSU tried..........ROLL TIDE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dabamafan View Post
    "RogueElephant 05:34 AM Today Let's just beat GA and worry about ND later. Just saying"
    What he said!
    Bingo. I'm concerned about Georgia, not ND.
    JUST WIN
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Tebow cried, Cam lied, Trees died, and LSU tried..........ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation Second Team snake plissken's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We owe them big time for 1987 when Bill Curry threw up on himself and Tim Brown ran all over us.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Let them keep talking. All we got to do is take care of business. I hope they remember everything they're saying when it's all over with. I got a feeling Bama is going to come out snot-slinging-mad in the next two games.
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.