ESPN Gushing over Notre Dame

BamaBoots

1st Team
Dec 8, 2005
Rocket City
It's Notre Dame. USC and ND are the media's teams. Get used to it. We had a 20 year break. But it appears that break is over...[/QUOTE

Along with Michigan and Ohio State make up the Evil Quadrangle that the media and the ncaa has always bowed down to. But above all notre dame.:BigA::BigA::BigA:

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
I think ND is better than everyone thinks ....on any given day. They played well against Stanforf, OU and USC. They played poorly against Pitt, BYU, Purdue and a couple of others. I feel like their freshman QB gets better and better each week. If Bama or UGA brings their A game, they should beat the irish but if the SEC team plays sloppy, ND can easily beat them. Hopefully it will be the Tide and Nick will have them ready to go.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I almost fell out of my pew this morning when our priest made a Notre Dame reference in the opening prayer. Then he had some of them clapping and me wearing my Alabama sweatshirt, well I just snickered to myself like they have no idea what is about to hit them if we can take care of UGA.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

I almost fell out of my pew this morning when our priest made a Notre Dame reference in the opening prayer. Then he had some of them clapping and me wearing my Alabama sweatshirt, well I just snickered to myself like they have no idea what is about to hit them if we can take care of UGA.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
I grew up Catholic... and I grew up with a nice hatred of Notre Dame athletics. :)

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
They have been all about Alabama since we won the title in January until the loss to Texas A&M. They were all about us when we beat Florida in the SEC title game and were going to play Texas in the Rose Bowl. I'm sure people that aren't Bama fans had the same complaint about us back then. It can't be just Alabama in the news at all times :rolleyes: I suggest you write Mal Moore and ask him to start something like the Longhorn Network if you want to see that type of thing. I don't understand why our fans think the media is against Alabama.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I would think that they would give them a ton of airtime. They are one of the most tradition rich programs in the history of college football, and they just became relevant again for the first time in two decades by punching their ticket to the national title game. As much as I dislike Notre Dame, even I must admit that they deserve some recognition right now.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Is it just me or is ESPN giving Notre Dame way more air time than normal?
You may or may not remember the old days but you should prepare for a lot of that. Notre Dang would be in the top 10 with 2 loses and ahead of no loss teams. You can bet if we play them it will be the USA vs Bama fans and some SEC fans.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I wouldn't leave the schools/conferences out of that equation, granted they are the ones that make up the NCAA. They are just as complicit and equally want to profit, which I really don't have a problem with when you look at things. It could be like the basketball contract where the NCAA basically gets everything, and the schools get very little.
Small Rant, and many disagree wirh my opinion on the Bowl games and money over tradition.

Not directed at you, but I think many people believe mo money is always a good thing. More money has been good but has also led to Keeping up with the Joneses and a lot of waste. The big school athletic environment is multi million dollar facilities everywhere, while the smaller school resemble nice High Schools. Title IX creates a lot of debt, and those sports that lose money at big time schools also have multi million dollar facilities. This is television I realize, but don't give them the store.

I believe that the prospect of paying players keeps the NCAA (institutions) chugging a long at a slower pace than they could. They do not want to pay players, so they attempt to implement new things in stages :)

My biggest gripe has been the erosion of the prestige and tradition of the decades old Bowl game system. I was for leaving their good name and incorporating in a playoff. The smaller bowls, bring back the names that brought identity to the games, like Georgia and the Peach Bowl( ESPN was to lazy to include the sponsor's name and kept referring to the game as the Peach Bowl, or the Citrus Bowl, so the corporations did what they promised not to do and nixed the historic name of the Bowl and made it a corporate Bowl). Make sure that the major Bowl games are always a part of the playoffs and do what the networks always preach when it comes to contracts and games, Diversity. No one network should own the rights to everything. That is ripe for corruption and we will see it.

I am in the minority big time :) I love tradition maybe too much.

Alajambama

2nd Team
Jul 25, 2012
Fyffe, AL
There will be more people watching and hoping Bama loses than there will be fans wanting the Tide to win. Every other conference in the country, as well as, most other SEC fanbases want us to get beat. I just hope we can get past UGA so we can find out for sure. It is funny because I lurk on a lot of rival's boards and probably 99% of the barn, LSU, and UT fans say they would root for Al Quaida before rooting for us.

Last edited:

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Good, let them gush. Notre Dame has earned all the credit they have gotten at this point. They went from unranked, to undefeated and guaranteed a spot in the BCSCG. This is the scenario that every media executive dreams about, so expect to keep hearing about ND for the rest of the season. Personally, I hope they continue to keep getting gushed over them, because that will make the melt down that much sweeter when the SEC is done with them.

10Bama54

1st Team
Sep 16, 2006
We have all heard how they have played a tougher schedule. So I went through the record of the teams they have played versus ours. The combined record of the teams they have played is 79-62. Ours is 70-72. Not that big a difference and we still have one more game to play. Versus Michigan our one common opponent, they won I believe it was 13-7 and we killed them 41-14. Anyway just food for thought.

Last edited:

CoachThomas

Scout Team
Jul 1, 2006
Myrtle Beach SC
The sports media has not always been in love with ND. If that were true they would had given the the National Champ. in 93 which they deserved, but they awarded it to FSU. Which ND had defeated that yr 31-24 I believe. Because the media love toward Bobby Bowden was much greater than ND love. In fact except for the Sporting News,Lou Holtz and Brent Musberger, The media has been openly critical of ND for having too high academic standards,not belonging to a conference,having their own TV contract, being invited to bowls in which they were outmatched and for being a once mighty but now average program that is over exposed. Since the mid 1990's ND has been more media whipping boy than darling so let them have their time in the sun. I still think we win by at least ten due to our recent history of being there before and our overall team speed. Go Bama and RTR.

The sports media has not always been in love with ND. If that were true they would had given the the National Champ. in 93 which they deserved, but they awarded it to FSU. Which ND had defeated that yr 31-24 I believe. Because the media love toward Bobby Bowden was much greater than ND love. In fact except for the Sporting News,Lou Holtz and Brent Musberger, The media has been openly critical of ND for having too high academic standards,not belonging to a conference,having their own TV contract, being invited to bowls in which they were outmatched and for being a once mighty but now average program that is over exposed. Since the mid 1990's ND has been more media whipping boy than darling so let them have their time in the sun. I still think we win by at least ten due to our recent history of being there before and our overall team speed. Go Bama and RTR.
Stop trying to inject logic into this discussion. :)

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I don't mind them getting lots of media attention, in fact I hope it swells their heads all the way to January. However, I did think it was ridiculous that ESPN all but said that God put them in the NC game. Destiny's Darlings? lol.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
why wouldn't ESPN gush over notre dumb? They are one of the biggest brands in CFB, and they are ranked #1. ESPN would need to fire their entire staff if someone made the decision NOT to talk about them.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
We have all heard how they have played a tougher schedule. So I went through the record of the teams they have played versus ours. The combined record of the teams they have played is 79-62. Ours is 70-72. Not that big a difference and we still have one more game to play. Versus Michigan our one common opponent, they won I believe it was 13-7 and we killed them 41-14. Anyway just food for thought.
ND finished the season by beating 9 bowl-eligible teams. Bama has beaten 5, Georgia 4 (You guys will have 6 after next weekend). We have a tough schedule. Sagarin has us only behind Florida in top ten, I believe.

Either way, I agree ESPN is all over us. But let's not forget, ESPN would be all over any team that will potentially challenge the SEC and their dominance of NC's the past decade. If it was Ohio State and Urban, would you still say the same things? B/c they would get the love. If it was Oregon, would you say the same? B/c Chip would get the love. And Schneider would get coach of the year.

It is ND, and we are obviously a polarizing team. I agree that we have been getting much love, but its been 20 years.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I also hope that we can beat Georgia to set up the national title game with Notre Dame. That will be huge. Not to mention, we won't go to a BCS bowl game if we lose. It seems that Florida is going to get the Sugar Bowl spot, so it is either SEC champs and national title game or a much less distinguished bowl game. I hope we whip UGA like a rented mule. If we do, I will be happy listening to all of the Notre Dame love for a month.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.