Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Results 92 to 104 of 168
  1. #92
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    45,124

    Re: How Do We Match Up Against UGA?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamplayer View Post
    Exaclty. As the old saying goes, there are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. Stats can often help and give an accurate gauge on things, but they can also be misleading. I think our defense last year was even better than the stats indicated. That defense was rarely out of position, and I can't even remember them missing a tackle. This year, I can't say the same thing. We have looked very dominant against weaker teams, but both LSU and Texas A&M moved the ball extrememly well against us. We even got pushed around a little, were out of position, and missed several tackles. Therefore, in my humble opinion, even though we finished number one in defense both this year and last, this year's defense isn't on the same level as last year's. That is why an offense with the balance that Georgia can bring to the table has me worried.
    I have also seen our offense sputter against both LSU and Texas A&M. Sure, we may have averaged over 40 points, but we only scored 21 and 24 against those top ten teams we faced. That's a big difference. Again, this causes me concern. I hope some of you guys are right when you predict that we will destroy Georgia, but I think it will be a close game. I like our chances, but I am still going to worry until the clock reads zero after the fourth quarter with us in the lead. Roll Tide!
    To give credit where's it's due, it's not "an old saying." It's a paraphrase of a line from Samuel Clemens as Mark Twain. The quote is attributed to Benjamin Disraeli, Prime Minister of Great Britain, but popularized here by Clemens...
    Last edited by TIDE-HSV; November 26th, 2012 at 02:13 AM.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

  2. Advertisement
  3. #93
    BamaNation All-SEC Tidetwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northeast Georgia
    Posts
    1,520

    Re: How Do We Match Up Against UGA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bourbon View Post
    If I were a Georgia fan, I'd be nervous that UGA almost got beaten by two awful teams and was blown out by one decent team. If they didn't have the UF win, they would have nothing really to hang their hat on. UF struggled against some bad teams, as well.
    Georgia fans can blissfully ignore pertinent details with the best of them.

  4. #94
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Huntsville
    Posts
    2,001

    Re: How Do We Match Up Against UGA?

    I like most of our matchups. The only one that really worries me is our WR vs. UGA DB's. Cooper should be able to get open, but UGA secondary is very good and has good cover skills. They are very opportunistic in the passing game. If our receivers can't get separation and get open, it doesn't matter how much time AJ has in the pocket. They will eventually load up and stop our run if we can't exploit them in the passing game.
    We should win this game, but that is why we still have to play the game. RTR!!

  5. #95
    BamaNation Second Team GADAWG1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Between the hedges
    Posts
    155

    Re: How Do We Match Up Against UGA?

    [QUOTE=Tidetwin;2042382]UGA's offensive line has not been that impressive in run blocking. The team has not been able to run against quality opponents. If it can establish the run against us, we are in for a long night. If we can find some way to apply pressure to Murray, then I like our chances.[/QUOTE

    I guess you dont consider florida a quality opponent?? Todd gurley went for over 100 yards against florida. Our o line has performed great the second half of this year. Just going on what i saw when yall played texas a and m,they were able to run the ball effectively against your defensive line opening a lot of holes. Keep in mind that their o line is much smaller and slower than ours. Also their backs arent anywhere near the caliber of todd gurley or keith marshall. You guys are going to have to stop the run in order to beat us and pressure Aaron murray as well,if not i think we will win. The one clear advantage you have over us is your ability(especially defensively)to play disciplined and maintain your assignments. In every game weve played this year(except the florida game)we have had at least two or three blown assignments in key situations. If we can play disciplined and play assignment football i like our chances.

  6. #96
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    8,297
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: How Do We Match Up Against UGA?

    In my opinion, Florida has the best defense in the nation...better than Notre Dame, Georgia, or Alabama. Really, that Cocktail Party came down to who could force the most errors defensively and Georgia narrowly won out in a turnover laden game.

  7. #97
    BamaNation Second Team JustJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Posts
    153
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: How Do We Match Up Against UGA?

    In the end, it's all about match-ups. This game will be no different.
    "With everything comes a price."

  8. #98
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 92tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga, USA
    Posts
    16,428

    Re: How Do We Match Up Against UGA?

    [QUOTE=GADAWG1980;2043869]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidetwin View Post
    UGA's offensive line has not been that impressive in run blocking. The team has not been able to run against quality opponents. If it can establish the run against us, we are in for a long night. If we can find some way to apply pressure to Murray, then I like our chances.[/QUOTE

    I guess you dont consider florida a quality opponent?? Todd gurley went for over 100 yards against florida. Our o line has performed great the second half of this year. Just going on what i saw when yall played texas a and m,they were able to run the ball effectively against your defensive line opening a lot of holes. Keep in mind that their o line is much smaller and slower than ours. Also their backs arent anywhere near the caliber of todd gurley or keith marshall. You guys are going to have to stop the run in order to beat us and pressure Aaron murray as well,if not i think we will win. The one clear advantage you have over us is your ability(especially defensively)to play disciplined and maintain your assignments. In every game weve played this year(except the florida game)we have had at least two or three blown assignments in key situations. If we can play disciplined and play assignment football i like our chances.
    a and m was able to run the ball effectively for one reason, that freak manziel
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

    -Bertrand Russell

    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they dont have to worry about the answers.

    Thomas Pynchon

  9. #99
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arab, AL
    Posts
    8,733
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

    Re: How Do We Match Up Against UGA?

    [QUOTE=92tide;2043883]
    Quote Originally Posted by GADAWG1980 View Post

    a and m was able to run the ball effectively for one reason, that freak manziel
    Agreed. The A&M game is not a good one to look at to project how Georgia may or may not run the ball on Alabama. Their offense is so unique. And by the way, A&M's oline is every bit as good as Georgia's and they've got some very talented skill players along with Manziel.

    The LSU game is a better barometer.

  10. #100
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    174

    Re: How Do We Match Up Against UGA?

    Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    In my opinion, Florida has the best defense in the nation...better than Notre Dame, Georgia, or Alabama. Really, that Cocktail Party came down to who could force the most errors defensively and Georgia narrowly won out in a turnover laden game.
    I totally agree with that assessment. They have fewer weaknesses on defense than anyone else I've seen. If their offense were more consistant look out.

  11. #101
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Posts
    9,651
    My Mood
    Cloud_9 on TideFans.com

    Re: How Do We Match Up Against UGA?

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMark. View Post
    I totally agree with that assessment. They have fewer weaknesses on defense than anyone else I've seen. If their offense were more consistant look out.
    The two best defenses in the SEC are Alabama and LSU. The two best teams in the SEC are Alabama and LSU. The two best teams in the nation are Alabama and LSU.

    The national championship game was played in Baton Rouge four weeks ago.

    Let me ask you this. If you were given two choices, "You have to win one game to play Notre Dame for the national title. You can play Georgia in Atlanta or LSU in Baton Rouge.". Who you gonna play?

    I am totally almost unbelievably amazed by this almost fear of Georgia and this unbelievable admiration of a Florida team that was absolutely lucky to beat Louisiana-Lafayette and who actually and truly struggled to beat Jacksonville State.

    sip

  12. #102
    BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    15,307
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

    Re: How Do We Match Up Against UGA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    The two best defenses in the SEC are Alabama and LSU. The two best teams in the SEC are Alabama and LSU. The two best teams in the nation are Alabama and LSU.
    That makes two years in a row.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

  13. #103
    BamaNation First Team Bruce014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    641

    Re: How Do We Match Up Against UGA?

    A good many people think that our key to the game is getting pressure on Aaron Murray.
    I'm one of them.

    So, since we haven't gotten good pressure on QBs this season, what do we do?

  14. #104
    BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    15,307
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

    Re: How Do We Match Up Against UGA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce014 View Post
    A good many people think that our key to the game is getting pressure on Aaron Murray.
    I'm one of them.

    So, since we haven't gotten good pressure on QBs this season, what do we do?
    Keep him off the field for a start.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!