How Do We Match Up Against UGA?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I've never seen so much concern over a defense that finished the season leading the country in scoring defense and total defense. Simply put, it's impossible to improve on being the best in the country statistically. Number one is number one and the rest of the country is not.

Georgia doesn't match up with us well at all in my opinion.

One, they are very undisciplined and make way too many mental errors and get way too many dumb penalties. How they won the Florida game still escapes me because they really kinda played like crap. Florida just happened to have played a bit worse.

Other than that they've played one good team in USC and got their butts handed to them.

Their defensive line is good but it's nowhere near as good as the offensive line(ours) they'll be going up against.

Their linebackers are very good and their secondary is good but they haven't faced any offense this season that even remotely compares to ours, and I mean not even close. We're averaging 40 a game folks. Who have they played that comes close to that?

Are they the best team we've played? No way. If they went into Baton Rouge on a Saturday night they'd get kicked back to Athens with a tail beating of about 38-3 on their hands and their tails between their legs.

Finally we have a Senior Class that has the experience of what it takes to win championships both SEC and National. This isn't strange territory to our guys. For Georgia it is. And we have a coach named Saban who I'll take over Mark Richt in a key game any day of the week.

I'm really kind of amazed. A few weeks ago we could supposedly beat NFL teams. We have one bad quarter and lose one game and suddenly everybody's scared to death of Georgia who's not even in our league.

We'll win this game by at least 17 points and probably worse. As far as the point spread I'll surprised if we're not favored by at least ten.

Vegas will have more confidence in us than a lot of folks around here suddenly seem to have.

Bama 35
Georgia-17

sip
It so happens that when I opened this thread, this is the first post that I saw. I think I'll stop right here and not visit this thread again. Sorry if any of you others have some interesting points to make. This post keeps my blood pressure low. Thanks Sip!

HotWingsRGood

BamaNation Citizen
May 10, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I don't see a thread already so what is everyones thoughts about how we line up against UGA?

My two cents....they seem to be a pretty solid team who matches up pretty well against us. If Murray has time to throw and gets in a rhythm I see a long night for Bama.

I especially worry about our secondary and pass rush against UGA.
Good post. The concerns mentioned are the same as mine.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From reading the 7 pages of this thread, I can see that UGA hasn't faced a defense or offense like Bama, and Bama hasn't faced a defense or offense like UGA.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
From reading the 7 pages of this thread, I can see that UGA hasn't faced a defense or offense like Bama, and Bama hasn't faced a defense or offense like UGA.
My biggest concerns are the things we continue see that almost got us beat in the LSU game and did get us beat in the aTm game. If we can keep Georgia from attacking those concerns then I think we'll blow them out. Because I don't think we're going to magically "fix" much at this point in the season.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
The only matchup I don't like is our secondary against UGA WR's. I feel good about both line matchups. I think we'll see more of Pagan on passing downs to help our rush. If we can pressure Murray he'll give us a couple of easy picks. We can pound the ball on them. I expect them to cover the deep ball at the expense of the shorter passes, which we'll take along with the run until they creep up. OTOH, if they come out with 8 in the box then we go long to loosen them up. I'd be surprised if they did that after what we've shown on our long ball the last few weeks.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Then the question is "how do we keep them from exploiting the weaknesses too late to fix" right? My best guess is that we try to put up a bunch of points early in the game to get them chasing after points like the 2008 game. The trouble is that I think that is what we were trying to do in the LSU and TAMU game and it led to a lot of short possessions and 3 and outs. This offensive identity in 2012 looks for explosive plays in the passing game whereas we tend to look for big running plays in past years. I don't think that will change either at this point.

So we need to see some big passes connect early...and put touchdowns on the board.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I would love us to use the hurry up offense to get into and stay in rhythm. Many times we take so long in between plays I wonder if our guys can't get into a good flow of the game.
I remember listening to the radio pregame show for the Capitol One bowl. Julio was interviewed and asked about the offense going hurry up against Auburn in the first half. He said the players love it because that is what they do in practice.

Does seem like Bama does better in the hurry up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my post may not be what I typed thanks to auto correct. Also, I may need an emoticon but cannot use one in this post.

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
If I were a Georgia fan, I'd be nervous that UGA almost got beaten by two awful teams and was blown out by one decent team. If they didn't have the UF win, they would have nothing really to hang their hat on. UF struggled against some bad teams, as well.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Exaclty. As the old saying goes, there are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. Stats can often help and give an accurate gauge on things, but they can also be misleading. I think our defense last year was even better than the stats indicated. That defense was rarely out of position, and I can't even remember them missing a tackle. This year, I can't say the same thing. We have looked very dominant against weaker teams, but both LSU and Texas A&M moved the ball extrememly well against us. We even got pushed around a little, were out of position, and missed several tackles. Therefore, in my humble opinion, even though we finished number one in defense both this year and last, this year's defense isn't on the same level as last year's. That is why an offense with the balance that Georgia can bring to the table has me worried.
I have also seen our offense sputter against both LSU and Texas A&M. Sure, we may have averaged over 40 points, but we only scored 21 and 24 against those top ten teams we faced. That's a big difference. Again, this causes me concern. I hope some of you guys are right when you predict that we will destroy Georgia, but I think it will be a close game. I like our chances, but I am still going to worry until the clock reads zero after the fourth quarter with us in the lead. Roll Tide!
To give credit where's it's due, it's not "an old saying." It's a paraphrase of a line from Samuel Clemens as Mark Twain. The quote is attributed to Benjamin Disraeli, Prime Minister of Great Britain, but popularized here by Clemens...

Last edited:

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
If I were a Georgia fan, I'd be nervous that UGA almost got beaten by two awful teams and was blown out by one decent team. If they didn't have the UF win, they would have nothing really to hang their hat on. UF struggled against some bad teams, as well.
Georgia fans can blissfully ignore pertinent details with the best of them.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
I like most of our matchups. The only one that really worries me is our WR vs. UGA DB's. Cooper should be able to get open, but UGA secondary is very good and has good cover skills. They are very opportunistic in the passing game. If our receivers can't get separation and get open, it doesn't matter how much time AJ has in the pocket. They will eventually load up and stop our run if we can't exploit them in the passing game.
We should win this game, but that is why we still have to play the game. RTR!!

GADAWG1980

Scout Team
Sep 26, 2011
Between the hedges
UGA's offensive line has not been that impressive in run blocking. The team has not been able to run against quality opponents. If it can establish the run against us, we are in for a long night. If we can find some way to apply pressure to Murray, then I like our chances.[/QUOTE

I guess you dont consider florida a quality opponent?? Todd gurley went for over 100 yards against florida. Our o line has performed great the second half of this year. Just going on what i saw when yall played texas a and m,they were able to run the ball effectively against your defensive line opening a lot of holes. Keep in mind that their o line is much smaller and slower than ours. Also their backs arent anywhere near the caliber of todd gurley or keith marshall. You guys are going to have to stop the run in order to beat us and pressure Aaron murray as well,if not i think we will win. The one clear advantage you have over us is your ability(especially defensively)to play disciplined and maintain your assignments. In every game weve played this year(except the florida game)we have had at least two or three blown assignments in key situations. If we can play disciplined and play assignment football i like our chances.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
In my opinion, Florida has the best defense in the nation...better than Notre Dame, Georgia, or Alabama. Really, that Cocktail Party came down to who could force the most errors defensively and Georgia narrowly won out in a turnover laden game.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
UGA's offensive line has not been that impressive in run blocking. The team has not been able to run against quality opponents. If it can establish the run against us, we are in for a long night. If we can find some way to apply pressure to Murray, then I like our chances.[/QUOTE

I guess you dont consider florida a quality opponent?? Todd gurley went for over 100 yards against florida. Our o line has performed great the second half of this year. Just going on what i saw when yall played texas a and m,they were able to run the ball effectively against your defensive line opening a lot of holes. Keep in mind that their o line is much smaller and slower than ours. Also their backs arent anywhere near the caliber of todd gurley or keith marshall. You guys are going to have to stop the run in order to beat us and pressure Aaron murray as well,if not i think we will win. The one clear advantage you have over us is your ability(especially defensively)to play disciplined and maintain your assignments. In every game weve played this year(except the florida game)we have had at least two or three blown assignments in key situations. If we can play disciplined and play assignment football i like our chances.
a and m was able to run the ball effectively for one reason, that freak manziel

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
a and m was able to run the ball effectively for one reason, that freak manziel
Agreed. The A&M game is not a good one to look at to project how Georgia may or may not run the ball on Alabama. Their offense is so unique. And by the way, A&M's oline is every bit as good as Georgia's and they've got some very talented skill players along with Manziel.

The LSU game is a better barometer.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
In my opinion, Florida has the best defense in the nation...better than Notre Dame, Georgia, or Alabama. Really, that Cocktail Party came down to who could force the most errors defensively and Georgia narrowly won out in a turnover laden game.
I totally agree with that assessment. They have fewer weaknesses on defense than anyone else I've seen. If their offense were more consistant look out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.