How Do We Match Up Against UGA?

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Hey guys, go look at Georgia's stats against Georgia Tech and tell me if you are still THAT concerned.......Tech had 426 YDS. Total yards and 306 yds RUSHING on Georgia's vaunted defense. I aint skeered. :)

True. Tech's offense was running all over GA. I think we will be alright. :)

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Hey guys, go look at Georgia's stats against Georgia Tech and tell me if you are still THAT concerned.......Tech had 426 YDS. Total yards and 306 yds RUSHING on Georgia's vaunted defense. I aint skeered. :)

Yeah, I don't think our defense will be the factor in the win. If you remember our close games were because we couldn't move the ball on offense. I think our offense has clicked and AJ and Cooper are healthy again.

Our defense did a great job considering that Mettenberger was having the game of his life. And we played the Heisman winner who is a machine.

So we need long drives and plenty of Circle Button and Yeldon.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I was talking about matchups and our clear weakness at rushing the passer. I believe that Murray can be bothered though and he is known for meltdowns. I think we saw the plan against AU and we'll see how deep UGA is on the front 7.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
That triple option is hard to defend. Rushing is pretty much all Tech does so the rushing yards doesn't surprise me. We saw last year that a good triple option offense can certainly put up some yards on you if you're not accustomed to defending it. I think Georgia is built more to defend the traditional rushing attack as is Bama. Roll Tide!!!!!!!!!!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Ga. is a great team playing against lessor teams.
Ga. is capable of playing winning football, but will they?
Murray is a great QB if he has time...
Ga. has receivers that can hurt you too.
BUT...
IMO: Ga. is a pretender.
Ga. benefited from not playing Alabama, LSU, ect this year. They had an easy schedule for a ride to the SEC East title.
Ga. benefited from playing TAMU early, before they caught fire...

I don't believe Ga. is as physical as LSU.
I don't believe Ga. is as fast as TAMU.

I was wrong about TAMU, but I don't see Ga. winning.
Either way the SEC winner should beat ND.
Georgia didn't play TAMU.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Their last 3 games period:

Ga Southern - 302
Ga Tech - 306
Auburn - 57

658 yards in 3 games -- 219/game

2 option teams on that list. they probably had 60-70 carries. go look at the rushing stats for Florida and Ole miss. last season Bama had probably the best defense in many years. They allowed 302 rushing to Ga Southern

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
You can really throw out those Ga Southern and GT games as anything highly meaningful to our offense. We aren't a cut-blocking, triple-option based offense, so the carryover is minimal for us. Lets look at the Florida game for any offensive clues. I believe their tailback had a good day as a runner but Drisksel was running for his life any time they passed.

The biggest issue is that we can't blitz without getting immediately burned and the four man pressure is ineffective and opens up deep crosses and square ins.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I look to the Scarolina game. They socked GA in the mouth from the beginning and dominated. We certainly do not have the pass rushers that Steveo has but, all things being equal talent wise, I like our coaching advantage and physicallity in this game.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I'm saying this now! We are going to win this game by 3 touchdowns and are going to gain over 250 yards on the ground against these guys! If not, I like my Crow fried! We can only be who we are and we are better than them!

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
i expect the sec title game to be a good one. both tteams are aiming for a national title game. i also expect both teams to be well prepared for this game. we are well matched. so much concern for pressure on murray. well, what about pressure on aj from our strong off line. aj has not exactly been a bad qb either. once again it comes down to defense in the championship games. coach likes to stop other teams rush game first. good idea in this one as well. they have two good backs, but we have been there before. my concern is our secondary overall. we dont have much speed at the safety positon, and lester is spread pretty thin in all areas. their secondary is getting all the press, but, they have not faced a qb like aj this year. our offensive line will protect aj. we have a sound rush game. and i expect a victory, because of our overall coaching, and history.

tidegrandpa

All-American
Ga has 82 penalties vs our 48, they are 67th in rushing defense, 9th in pass defense, we are 2nd in run defense and 3rd in pass defense. I like our discipline. That is what beat us against TAMU, they were talented AND disciplined unlike the Georgia bunch. I like our chances. RTR !!
:BigA:

Nad75

Nov 18, 2012
Ga southern had 302 rushing on their D also

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
I'm not concerned about our running or passing game; we will be fine in those areas. We will handle their running game, but their passing really concerns me. I don't know how many times we have sacked a QB this year, but it certainly is not very much. Although our defensive game plan is not to sack the QB, we have struggled this year to even put pressure on them. If Murray has time, he will find receivers; this is the only way they can win this one. Overall, if we find a way to limit his success, we will be fine. If not, it will be a long day.
With that said, we lead in all areas except possible one. I like our chances.

Last edited:

Neverending

Suspended
Nov 19, 2011
yeh and there's no use in citing GT because triple option is what they do and they do it well...IT IS THEIR OFFENSE.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
There really just isn't any carryover in scheme from what GT/GaSouthern does compared to our running attack. Florida is the most similar in scheme to our offense and Georgia really nullified their running game and completely short circuited the passing game with edge pressure all game. Of course, I think Alabama's jimmy and joes on the OL are better than Florida's but the Gators OL is no slouch. I'd argue that Florida's OL is the strength of their offense.

Defensively, I'm still seeing the same problems that nearly cost us the LSU game and ultimately cost us the TAMU game. Auburn was getting square-in type routes over the middle of the field all night but their QB simply couldn't execute. The defensive pressure was non-existent even by "mush rush" contain standards. We're faced with a big problem: rush four and put our secondary in situations where they have to cover longer than you'd like OR rush 5+ and immediately put guys on islands that they can't maintain until the pressure gets there.

This defense is really more like the 2008 unit than the 2010 unit. The 2008 unit didn't really have enough difference makers in the pass rush and consistency in the secondary to stand up to the best teams. They don't have the out-right busts that the 2010 unit experienced, they simply get beat by their man - whether it is a lineman or receiver - too much when playing quality offenses. Like the 2008 unit, they play with passion but they don't seem to have the talent in all the right places to be the defense Saban needs to win titles.

Offensively, we've got yet another team with a group of good edge rushers going against our young LT and an RT that has struggled in protection at times. They came up admirably against LSU's two rushers and TAMU's do-it-all LB/DE Moore, but this is the ultimate test. I think Jarvis Jones is the best individual defender in America...yes, better than Te'o. They're big up front, so Warmack and Jones are just going to seal these guys off with ease either.

To be effective on offense, we need the pass protection we saw in the LSU game but the staff has to create true offensive balance. We can't see offensive possessions that don't involve the running game. I'm a firm believer in being aggressive but too many times in the LSU and TAMU games the insistence on trying to pass led to 3 and outs. In each game, I felt the staff was trying to "shock and awe" the opponent for a quick score instead of establishing the physicality of our offense. Tempering "shock and awe" with "hammer meeting the nail" is a huge problem for this offensive staff. I don't think they've found it yet. With three 1st round caliber linemen, Alabama is doing the opponent a favor when we are telling them to take a step back in pass protection instead of letting these guys pound somebody.

I'm not being a chicken little, but the truthful analysis is that Alabama needs to play well above where they've shown to be able to achieve this season. Some of it is personnel problems (hard to fix at this juncture), some of it is schematic problems (easier to fix in concept but sometimes hard to execute).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.