Why no Bama/Georgia natural rivalry or at least a string of games?

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
This is one for the old-timers, how come there has never developed a natural rivalry or a decent string of games in recent times (since the 50/60's) between UGA and Alabama? I would think this would be a very good one against two teams whose hallmark has traditionally been smash-mouth football and the fact that the two states are adjacent.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Probably because we never saw Georgia as much of a threat unlike Tennessee, LSU or even Auburn. Georgia has had some great seasons but they can't maintain. Vince Dooley may have been their best coach but without Walker was very average.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
This is one for the old-timers, how come there has never developed a natural rivalry or a decent string of games in recent times (since the 50/60's) between UGA and Alabama? I would think this would be a very good one against two teams whose hallmark has traditionally been smash-mouth football and the fact that the two states are adjacent.
Since 1992 they play when the SEC tells them to play.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I believe we matched up better with Tennessee and Auburn did so with Georgia and the rivals resulted. Georgia, while good, has not been worthy of being our Rival historically. Too bad Birmingham vs. Atlanta didn't end up better.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.