Gene Chizik fired - now what?

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Re: Breaking News: Gene Chizik fired!

I wonder what kind of impact any impending sanctions will have on who would take the job.
IMO, it makes all the difference in the world when deciding whether to take any coaching job offer.
Many coaches will shy away from those schools that are either under present sanctions or investigation where future sanctions might result.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

It's going to have a big impact..Why would any established HC want to walk into an unknown NCAA mess..The longer the NCAA stretches this thing out in Lee County..It will have a negative impact..Unless Petrino takes the job..I just don't see them hiring a quality HC..This may sound dumb too most of ya..If I was auburn..I would beg Pat Sullivan too take the job..Get him to ride out whatever mess the NCAA throws at them..And then go after a big time HC in a few years..He could bring stability through whatever mess unfolds with the NCAA..Cause things are about to get bad in Lee County I have a feeling..The NCAA doesn't come to a campus interviewing folks for secondary type violations..
^^^^^^This. Any quality HC (Petrino doesn't qualify, IMO) would not take that job, unless it was a stepping stone to another, and their contract would reflect that. A first-timer, OTOH, might jump on it as a learning opportunity, especially in the area of how not to run an athletic department. They are in the midst of a tire fire, and it is going to take a long time to put it out. I'm happy. :biggrin:

IBUY

1st Team
Jan 9, 2007

*u is going to have a problem attracting a proven coach. Any successful current coach is going to be preparing for the postseason and while they may use the contact from *u to pad their current contract, it is going to be a tough sell for barney. Add in the uncertainty from the nzaa snooping around, the "stench" that is left from the cam situation, interference from PFD and others, and the obvious discipline problems on the current team, and the boogs have a difficult product to try to gift wrap IMHO.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008

I thought Dye said that even if the cheese did not win another game in 2012, he would still have one more year to turn it around! :biggrin:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

I can't believe that on Conference Championship week this thread is still going strong!

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008

I just can't seem to feel any sympathy for the barners. This morning at work, they are crying the blues, but all I can think about is how they acted two years ago and how some of them still ran their mouths and wore their beloved $cam jerseys as recently as just a few weeks ago. Some of them still bring up Albert Means. How long ago was that? It's been more than a decade for sure. Here is what is even more baffling to me. $cam destroyed that program, yet some of their fans still wear those #2 jerseys and chant that stupid "yes we cam" mantra. Why would any of them still prop him up? Do they not see that their world coming down around their ears is because of him? Then again, you can't apply logic to barners. Also, Chizik makes the third *U coach in the last 20 years to go out on a shutout Iron Bowl loss.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Firing Chizic yesterday makes sure all the talk is diverted to Auburn's coaching search from the arse stomping face crushing defeat that everyone witnessed.

I felt no sympathy over the Shula firing, certainly have no sympathy for the Auburn fans or Chizic. Two coaches would made more in their short tenures than they will earn before and after combined. And more money than 99% of the posters on this forum will make in their lifetime.

timmer0911

3rd Team
Jan 4, 2005
Mobile, AL

Haha. Or just have it covered up with something not as ugly.
Tattoo cover up procedures.........
Go out into cow pasture, grab fresh cow patty, smear on generously until you cover up the crappy tattoo, repeat as needed!!
Not as ugly and in fact, it would be a huge improvement!!!

gwilliams

1st Team
Aug 29, 2011

The connection between the smoked filled room (yella, blowder, and boyz) and the official face of Auburn athletics, AD Jacobs, has not been severed. There will be no wholesale concede of power to any incoming coach. He'll be another 'yes man' IYAM

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

The connection between the smoked filled room (yella, blowder, and boyz) and the official face of Auburn athletics, AD Jacobs, has not been severed. There will be no wholesale concede of power to any incoming coach. He'll be another 'yes man' IYAM
And this is what is driving the realistic Auburn fan (I know, I know) crazy. They believe that Chizik was only 1/3 of the problem. They wanted for there to be a whole sale shakeup from the President down to the A.D. and finally the entire coaching staff.

The "good ole boy" network is still in place and that is good news for us!

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms

I can't believe that on Conference Championship week this thread is still going strong!
It makes for a delightful week to savor Auburn's follies and anticipate Bama's chance to be sec champs. Most of us like to do both at the same time; but personally I look much more forward to Bama's game than whatever Auburn does of course. It's just a nice add on to the week to hear of Auburn's tribulations. I look forward to hearing more.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States

CBS is running an article that says that anyone who wants the AU job right now should be disqualified for stupidity: LINK

"Taking a job opposite Saban? That's career suicide. In six years at Alabama he has run off two coaches at Auburn (Tommy Tuberville resigned, or something, in 2008) and helped run off three at Tennessee. Saban could even be the reason Meyer left Florida. That's not a sure thing--who knows what Meyer was thinking in 2009, and then 2010?--but it has to be considered. Sharing a conference with Nick Saban is like sharing a steak with a lion. Only one of you wins that battle. And it's not you."

Timberline Tide

All-American
Jun 9, 2010
Colorado

Considering the new round of NCAA investigations underway perhaps they should just appoint a long-term interim coach.

I hear John L Smith is available.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.