Gene Chizik fired - now what?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Re: Breaking News: Gene Chizik fired!

Yeah, and dont forget reimbursing the new coach's buyout... All signs point to Petrino getting the job. He is the best most affordable coach out there. And his character will fit right in down there.
I doubt it...from what I've heard, Petrino can't even get an interview with the Barn now. Now, perhaps this "search committee" will go over Jacobs head, which seals his fate, but if JJ has a hand...it won't be Bobby P.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL

Well so much for their claim to be "All In". I guess now it's "All Out"
Yep the only thing I'd like to throw in their face is how you fire a coach after winning a national championship two years ago? And what did happen to ALL IN? They are so hypocritical. Some things never change!

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

I thought oh Mr. Dye said he would return regardless if they went 1-11? Oh well. We all saw this coming. Wonder who is going to coach next year as well as TN and Arky.

Gene seems like a good guy, and I never had a problem with him. He is going to get a nice buyout so we shouldn't feel too bad for him. :)
Not if the NCAA turns up anything against AU with the latest investigation!

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL

And in which and how many directions do their recruits start to scatter? Wonder if there are any we will pursue? And plz don't bring up Rueben Foster.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

Here's clause 13(d) of his original and new contract:

Paragraph 13 (d) of Chizik’s 2008 contract included a clause that would relieve Auburn from any financial obligation to the coach if the school’s football program was subject to NCAA investigation. From the 2008 contract Chizik signed:

In the event an investigation is instituted by Auburn, the SEC or the NCAA into alleged major rules violations or significant or repetitive violations involving Coach and/or the football program, during the pendency of the investigation, University shall have the right, after written notice to Coach, to suspend payment of any amount owed to Coach under Paragraph 15 or 16.

For Chizik’s new agreement with the school, Paragraph 13 (d) was completely deleted and replaced with this clause:

Coach agrees he will comply with Southeastern Conference Rules and be bound by and comply with the enforcement, penalty, and other disciplinary provisions and procedures of the NCAA and of the Southeastern Conference, including but not limited to the provisions of Article 4 of the Southeastern Conference Constitution and the Southeastern Conference Bylaw 19.8.

The new clause is a boiler plate statement designed to keep up appearances while removing all of Chizik's accountability to NCAA rules violations.

BAMAFEVER50

1st Team
Aug 17, 2008
MOODY, AL

And in which and how many directions do their recruits start to scatter? Wonder if there are any we will pursue? And plz don't bring up Rueben Foster.
Lets just hope Jay Jacobs still hires the coaches. Could be a silver lining with such turble news about Chiznik.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

Here's clause 13(d) of his original and new contract:

Paragraph 13 (d) of Chizik’s 2008 contract included a clause that would relieve Auburn from any financial obligation to the coach if the school’s football program was subject to NCAA investigation. From the 2008 contract Chizik signed:

In the event an investigation is instituted by Auburn, the SEC or the NCAA into alleged major rules violations or significant or repetitive violations involving Coach and/or the football program, during the pendency of the investigation, University shall have the right, after written notice to Coach, to suspend payment of any amount owed to Coach under Paragraph 15 or 16.

For Chizik’s new agreement with the school, Paragraph 13 (d) was completely deleted and replaced with this clause:

Coach agrees he will comply with Southeastern Conference Rules and be bound by and comply with the enforcement, penalty, and other disciplinary provisions and procedures of the NCAA and of the Southeastern Conference, including but not limited to the provisions of Article 4 of the Southeastern Conference Constitution and the Southeastern Conference Bylaw 19.8.

The new clause is a boiler plate statement designed to keep up appearances while removing all of Chizik's accountability to NCAA rules violations.
Sounds about the same to me.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

I hope he is able to find something soon, I do hate seeing someone lose a job. I feel bad for his family and the players.

Now the fans...I don't feel bad for. ;)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

On a personal level, you do have to have a bit of compassion when anyone loses a job and especially in this economy. But maybe I'm just different.

As an evangelical I was put off by God references coming in a situation where GC either knew Auburn was crooked or is more blind than Helen Keller. I'm consistent: I hated it when a certain former coach of ours did virtually the same thing.

Chizik maintained no true divine honor in this situation. He either went along with dirty deeds or should not have answered in his non-answering way the Cam Newton allegations. I took particular offense because I don't think you take something in the toilet and put ketchup on it and that makes it ok. I'll admit to being a little put out with a few of the comments here that will suggest that because Gene is a believer that trumps all. Gene then needs to resign in the name of integrity (ok too late for that), turn down the money changers millions dollar buyout and go share his faith in a soup kitchen. This tale was more sordid because Cecil Newton also hid behind religion. Should I therefore conclude now that God was okay with Auburn's cheating but abandoned Gene and Auburn like Saul and the armor bearer over some unspecified worse sin?

I do not respect anyone who cornered invokes God as if that cuts off all inquiry or makes wrong right. Dubious did that and now Gene. If you're going to claim more virtue then you need to show it else you shouldn't claim it.

Sorry if I preached or crossed the line. No offense was intended.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

I hate he got fired. I really looked forward to total domination the next few years. Not that I see it changing anytime soon. I'm sure Chizik will survive getting $7.5m over the next few years. He'll be a analyst on ESPN for a couple of years and be back into the coaching carousel. Loerfler and VanGorder will be just fine too. Luper and Trooper need to get out of the profession. They really do kids a disservice IMO. I wonder if this investigation will tie any wrongdoings to those two coaches.

scoretide

Suspended
Nov 26, 2010
Boaz, Alabama

I doubt it...from what I've heard, Petrino can't even get an interview with the Barn now. Now, perhaps this "search committee" will go over Jacobs head, which seals his fate, but if JJ has a hand...it won't be Bobby P.
You have heard wrong! Bobby P is very much in play at Auburn. The give someone another chance!!! Has been mentioned. " I DO HAVE A SOURCE WITHIN THE ATHLETIC COMPLEX " DOWN THERE. gus the bus is in play as well, And i can tell you thay have contacted Chris Peterson at Boise. Frankilin at VANDY has had a question asked to him as well. YALL, CAN DELETE MY POST BUT THIS IS NOT HEARSAY OR RUMOR'S

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

That buyout is huge for an athletic department that has not made money in years.

Also, what is Pat Sullivan doing on this committee? How can the Samford athletic department be fine with this?

Rocknrolltide

1st Team
Aug 15, 2007
Foley, AL

I hope he is able to find something soon, I do hate seeing someone lose a job. I feel bad for his family and the players.

Now the fans...I don't feel bad for. ;)
He'll get at least $156,250 per month for the next 48 months if he doesn't work. Don't feel too bad for him.

You have heard wrong! Bobby P is very much in play at Auburn. The give someone another chance!!! Has been mentioned. " I DO HAVE A SOURCE WITHIN THE ATHLETIC COMPLEX " DOWN THERE. gus the bus is in play as well, And i can tell you thay have contacted Chris Peterson at Boise. Frankilin at VANDY has had a question asked to him as well. YALL, CAN DELETE MY POST BUT THIS IS NOT HEARSAY OR RUMOR'S
No... it's just message board drivel.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.