Arkansas closing in on Art Briles?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Rumors swirling that a very close to the vest search may end with Art Briles as the new Razorbacks coach within the next week...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Interesting choice, if true. He'll turn 57 next month and has lived in Texas his whole life and was a high school coach there until 1999. So he certainly should know how to recruit Texas.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I guess the Hogs are thinking they are going to have to have a Baylor like offense to contend in the SEC. A&M and Ole Miss proved it can be effective at times.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
We're going to hear all kinds of rumors about Arky, UT and the Barn until someone is hired, not putting much stock in any of them.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Briles would be a fool not get out of Baylor while his name is hot and cash in, whether that's Arkansas or any other team more prestigious than Baylor.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Briles would be a fool not get out of Baylor while his name is hot and cash in, whether that's Arkansas or any other team more prestigious than Baylor.
Agreed. Now is his time to cash in if he wants big money.

Peterson has turned down much better jobs in the past, I'd be shocked if he took the Arkansas job.
I don't see Peterson ever leaving Boise now that they are back in the mix for the playoffs and all when it starts.

Honestly I think Briles to Arky would be a decent hire unless they let him bring his DC with him.... If I'm Arky I'm stressing to Briles he MUST hire a good DC.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Baylor has broken ground on a new stadium that Briles pushed for. He is a Texan and has always coached in Texas. If he was going SEC, he would have tried to get the TAMU job. At this point, I only see Briles moving to the University of Texas, if that.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Baylor has broken ground on a new stadium that Briles pushed for. He is a Texan and has always coached in Texas. If he was going SEC, he would have tried to get the TAMU job. At this point, I only see Briles moving to the University of Texas, if that.
Sounds like a man that will only leave if taken out in a pine box.

thetwonewguru

Suspended
Aug 11, 2006
Briles would be a Chizik-like hire. if RGIII had never gone to Baylor, he would have been fire by now. The only coach I fear is David Shaw from Stanford. He's going to be a good one. I also think Willie Taggert would be a good coach. The only problem with both of these guys is teaching a quarterback the west coast system.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If the PTB at Arkansas think they want to replicate the TAMU offense then Briles would be a good hire. His offense would bring lots of excitement to Fayetteville although not sure how many wins.

Briles would be a Chizik-like hire. if RGIII had never gone to Baylor, he would have been fire by now. The only coach I fear is David Shaw from Stanford. He's going to be a good one. I also think Willie Taggert would be a good coach. The only problem with both of these guys is teaching a quarterback the west coast system.
Stanford does not run the West Coast Offense. They run a traditional pro-style offense.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
As DD said, Shaw doesn't run the west coast system; however, how would an Arky QB struggle to learn a system similar to what they run now? Not like it would be going triple option to throwing the ball.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.