Bell Injury May Lead to Emergence of Freshman WR Chris Black

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I start him and the 1st offensive play goes deep down field to either cooper or black!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Didn't Darius Hanks get a medical redshirt one year and only have to sit out the first 2 games of the following season because he played in 2 games before he got hurt? Wonder if that could apply to Chris Black. Have him sit out the first 2 games of next season and still be able to redshirt him this year.
I could be wrong, but IIRC, someone [who knows a lot mroe about cfb than I do] had posted that the rules surrounding a medical redshirt distinguished between games played early in the season v/ later in the season i.e. if, for example, the 2 games you played in were, say, in the first half of the season, then you were a potential candidate, but if they were in the latter part of the season, then you would not qualify.

Someone more knowledgeable please feel free to correct me...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think worries about a med RS are premature, particularly given his ability - unless he gets hurt again. I haven't looked at the rule in a while, but it's participation in a certain number of quarters. Almost always, with a good player, that would fall very early in the year. I don't think it rules out a later injury. Also, a med RS is applied for retroactively, after eligibility has expired - something else that's very unlikely in his case...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
2 games out of 12 regular season games would qualify for a med RS. This is why Jalston Fowler will certainly get this year of eligibility back but Kenny Bell and DeAndrew White are out of luck. The issue is that Black is poised to participated in post-season play and I don't know what the rules are for that situation.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
2 games out of 12 regular season games would qualify for a med RS. This is why Jalston Fowler will certainly get this year of eligibility back but Kenny Bell and DeAndrew White are out of luck. The issue is that Black is poised to participated in post-season play and I don't know what the rules are for that situation.
As another person said I think it has to be you play at the beginning of the year and then get hurt. Don't think it works the other way around but I'm no expert.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, common sense - though NCAA rules occasionally lack such - tells you that it means you were unable to play for over 75% of the season not you only played in less than 25% of the season. Otherwise, someone could get hurt in their first time on the field mid-season after working their way up the depth chart and get a med RS. It is only for players that get injured in the first or second game in all practicality. If you come back in the post-season or get hurt in game 3 and forward...you just used a year of eligibility.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
From Saban's press conference today:

@CecilHurt: Saban on Chris Black: "This decision was made by Chris and his family, not just by me. Chris wants to play, can help the team by playing."

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Agree with Bigalstide. Quite a step from your last game being a high school playoff game to the SEC Championship against the #3 team in the country. If CNS thinks he can do it, though, I'm sure he can. I've eard it said WR is the easiest position to transition from level to level. Run fast, catch ball, run faster.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I know it must have been tough for Chris to watch from the sidelines, but it would be great for him to contribute to an SEC and National Championship.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yeah, common sense - though NCAA rules occasionally lack such - tells you that it means you were unable to play for over 75% of the season not you only played in less than 25% of the season. Otherwise, someone could get hurt in their first time on the field mid-season after working their way up the depth chart and get a med RS. It is only for players that get injured in the first or second game in all practicality. If you come back in the post-season or get hurt in game 3 and forward...you just used a year of eligibility.
The trick in it is that it has to be the injury which interrupts your continued play - and it's discretionary with the NCAA. That's the reason I said above that it's theoretically possible for a weaker player to not make the field until later in the year and have injury stop his year without the requisite number of quarters of participation - just very unlikely. It's just improbable in the extreme with a good player. Only a double injury (and there have been a few of those - OK had one happen a few years ago) would normally cause it with really good player.Also, as I said above, given his ability demonstrated in HS and the spring, without further injury, there's just no reason to think a med RS would ever be applied for...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.