Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 47891011121314
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Re: Bell Injury May Lead to Emergence of Freshman WR Chris Black

When DeAndrew gets back next year -- we have to start playing "Black or White" over the PA systems
    Raj: Excuse me, I can't be drinking, I'm about to make an important scientific discovery here!
    Howard:What? Galileo did his best work while drinking wine!
    Raj: How do you know that?
    Howard: He was Italian, it's a reasonable assumption.
    Raj: Dude, can you even open your mouth without saying a cultural stereotype?
    Howard: I'm sorry Galileo drank diet sprite!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

2 games out of 12 regular season games would qualify for a med RS. This is why Jalston Fowler will certainly get this year of eligibility back but Kenny Bell and DeAndrew White are out of luck. The issue is that Black is poised to participated in post-season play and I don't know what the rules are for that situation.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    2 games out of 12 regular season games would qualify for a med RS. This is why Jalston Fowler will certainly get this year of eligibility back but Kenny Bell and DeAndrew White are out of luck. The issue is that Black is poised to participated in post-season play and I don't know what the rules are for that situation.
    As another person said I think it has to be you play at the beginning of the year and then get hurt. Don't think it works the other way around but I'm no expert.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Yeah, common sense - though NCAA rules occasionally lack such - tells you that it means you were unable to play for over 75% of the season not you only played in less than 25% of the season. Otherwise, someone could get hurt in their first time on the field mid-season after working their way up the depth chart and get a med RS. It is only for players that get injured in the first or second game in all practicality. If you come back in the post-season or get hurt in game 3 and forward...you just used a year of eligibility.

6. November 28th, 2012, 11:51 AM

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused on TideFans.com

From Saban's press conference today:

@CecilHurt: Saban on Chris Black: "This decision was made by Chris and his family, not just by me. Chris wants to play, can help the team by playing."
    Roll Tide

BamaNation First Team Bigalstide1877's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Im all for him playing. but his first game is going to be one of his biggest games hes ever played in his life. As long as he helps the team im all for it. I just hope he doesnt make a mistake.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Bigalstide. Quite a step from your last game being a high school playoff game to the SEC Championship against the #3 team in the country. If CNS thinks he can do it, though, I'm sure he can. I've eard it said WR is the easiest position to transition from level to level. Run fast, catch ball, run faster.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

I know it must have been tough for Chris to watch from the sidelines, but it would be great for him to contribute to an SEC and National Championship.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Yeah, common sense - though NCAA rules occasionally lack such - tells you that it means you were unable to play for over 75% of the season not you only played in less than 25% of the season. Otherwise, someone could get hurt in their first time on the field mid-season after working their way up the depth chart and get a med RS. It is only for players that get injured in the first or second game in all practicality. If you come back in the post-season or get hurt in game 3 and forward...you just used a year of eligibility.
    The trick in it is that it has to be the injury which interrupts your continued play - and it's discretionary with the NCAA. That's the reason I said above that it's theoretically possible for a weaker player to not make the field until later in the year and have injury stop his year without the requisite number of quarters of participation - just very unlikely. It's just improbable in the extreme with a good player. Only a double injury (and there have been a few of those - OK had one happen a few years ago) would normally cause it with really good player.Also, as I said above, given his ability demonstrated in HS and the spring, without further injury, there's just no reason to think a med RS would ever be applied for...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus