Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Bell Injury May Lead to Emergence of Freshman WR Chris Black

Black!! But not until January. I think it's going to be Cyrus Jones' time!
    ROLL TIDE!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team CrimsonTheory's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Nerdy on TideFans.com

Re: Bell Injury May Lead to Emergence of Freshman WR Chris Black

If Coach thinks Black is ready to contribute, then who are we to argue?
    the former CrimsonBleedRed.

BamaNation First Team Snuffy Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bell Injury May Lead to Emergence of Freshman WR Chris Black

Burning a redshirt on someone as talented as Black seems to be is probably not a big deal. Chances are good someone like that only plays through his junior class year anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    I hate having to burn a red shirt for just two games, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
    If we're really at the point that we would burn a year of eligibility for a super talented kid for a game or two, then we obviously haven't been doing as good a job as we like to think we have in recruiting (or developing talent). We have a ton of WR's, and surely to God a couple of them could step it up when faced with the alternative of causing one of their teammates to burn a year just for 2 games.
    JUST WIN
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Tebow cried, Cam lied, Trees died, and LSU tried..........ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Just Win View Post
    If we're really at the point that we would burn a year of eligibility for a super talented kid for a game or two, then we obviously haven't been doing as good a job as we like to think we have in recruiting (or developing talent). We have a ton of WR's, and surely to God a couple of them could step it up when faced with the alternative of causing one of their teammates to burn a year just for 2 games.
    Saban has done a good job recruiting, remember that we lost 3 seniors and had 3 current receivers (including Black) season end due to injuries.
    Last edited by RTR251; November 25th, 2012 at 06:16 PM.

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    Burning a redshirt on someone as talented as Black seems to be is probably not a big deal. Chances are good someone like that only plays through his junior class year anyway.

Burning a redshirt is not that big of a deal at a program like Alabama. Most players who are ready for the NFL only need 3 years. Even after this year he has 3 full years left in the program. Don't think of it as he is the difference of winning or losing. I will think of it more like, does he bring something to the table that no one or only 1 other wr does. if that is the case then you play him b/c he might be the difference of only 1 or 2 first downs in a game or a blocked punt. but those few plays "could" make a big difference. Coaches never worry about players who burned a redshirt unless they were borderline to be drafted after 4 years anyway. how many redshirt seniors have we had on Saban's teams?

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

It's all Coach Sabans call but I would guess he has a real strong practice week with Norwood, both Jones, Vogler, Williams. We all know what Cooper cn do but just like the NCG LY I see Norwood really coming thru.

What ever is decided Coach will do the Right Thing.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I'm not saying Black is another Julio, but would we burn a red shirt if it were Julio in this situation?

BamaNation All-American Al A Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 230kv_barehand View Post
    If he's healthy and the report about him being cleared for contact is true I DEFINITELY say "burn the redshirt" because I fully believe he can contribute big time in the passing game. He is solid enough to take the hurt of Kenny Bell away and could put up some very good numbers IMHO. Black was/is the real deal.
    If he's really ready for game time, game day combat/contact and he wants to play in the SEC CG, and if we win doing the same in the BCS NCG, then let's do it. We may not get this chance again for at least a year. The loss of Bell was a BIG loss, just like #1 and #45.

How does he #5, Black, compare to #22 Christian Jones and #80 Shinn? And how about #81 Woodson who's father played QB at Bama? Can anyone on the roster replace Bell without taking the red-shirt off of Chris Black?
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation First Team marcusroby's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I had that feeling earlier. Black is likely a 3great and done player barring injury. If he can be as productive as once thought the redshirt means nothing.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

If I have counted correctly, we only have five healthy scholarship wr's. That is not a ton.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR251 View Post
    Saban has done a good job recruiting, remember that we lost 3 seniors and had 3 current receivers (including Black) season end due to injuries.
    Exactly. Black's redshirt would have been long gone anyway if he hadn't got hurt. We have lost our leading reciever (at the time), and now our leading yards per catch receiver. We lost two of our fastest receivers, and as good as some of the others are, you can't teach or coach pure speed.
    “And the roses in this grand ol’ stadium are once again Crimson!” - Eli Gold, Jan 7th, 2010

Alabama wasn’t just dominating Monday night. They were some word that has yet to be invented in the English language. - Aaron Torres, Jan 10th, 2012

"If this was a prize fight, they'd call it off!" - Brent Musberger, Jan 7th, 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon on TideFans.com

If Black is taking some hits come monday....then that may be an indicator. If no contact in next few days, i do not see him playing. So we will watch for practice notes.