Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Re: Bell Injury May Lead to Emergence of Freshman WR Chris Black

Quote Originally Posted by Just Win View Post
    If we're really at the point that we would burn a year of eligibility for a super talented kid for a game or two, then we obviously haven't been doing as good a job as we like to think we have in recruiting (or developing talent). We have a ton of WR's, and surely to God a couple of them could step it up when faced with the alternative of causing one of their teammates to burn a year just for 2 games.
    on the contrary, i think that the fact that we control our own destiny going into the SECCG, and are favored after losing as many contributing players to injury is a testament to our recruiting and player development.
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar

Bell Injury May Lead to Emergence of Freshman WR Chris Black

Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post
    If he's really ready for game time, game day combat/contact and he wants to play in the SEC CG, and if we win doing the same in the BCS NCG, then let's do it. We may not get this chance again for at least a year. The loss of Bell was a BIG loss, just like #1 and #45.

How does he #5, Black, compare to #22 Christian Jones and #80 Shinn? And how about #81 Woodson who's father played QB at Bama? Can anyone on the roster replace Bell without taking the red-shirt off of Chris Black?
    Imagine a defense having to cover 2 Coopers. Black is a burner with hands. His loss was a big blow to the WR corps and the coaches were drooling over the prospects of those two running deep.

BamaNation All-American

I was of the opinion that Black is crazy fast but needs to muscle up to take the hits.
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

play him if he's cleared for contact and can make a difference. if he's as good as advertised he won't be here for 5 years anyway.

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

AJ will need as many targets as he can get. I do not think we will beat Georgia by running the football.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

seems as though some of you dont know the type of WR Black is. he's not what i would call a burner. he's one of those guys who runs great routes, knows how to position himself to make catches, knows how to bait and fake defenders. just a natural WR. All of those things are what make him really good. I think the only way we burn the shirt is if another WR goes down.

If we're really at the point that we would burn a year of eligibility for a super talented kid for a game or two, then we obviously haven't been doing as good a job as we like to think we have in recruiting (or developing talent). We have a ton of WR's, and surely to God a couple of them could step it up when faced with the alternative of causing one of their teammates to burn a year just for 2 games.
    Im not trying to be a smart butt......but have you seen this kid play? Im not claiming to be an insider or recruiting expert or anything but I did play the game and I have coached for about 16 years. I rarely post but I have attended a few practices and this kid (to me) is better than Cooper, when he is on the field he really stands out, now there are players that look awesome in practice and fade when the lights come on and then there are players that are average in practice and are beast when the lights are on (see Shaun Alexander) but the kids we have are really good this guy (if healthy) will be a star, I think he is the real deal but the biggest concern for the team is depth. If hes healthy I think he plays, the kid is legit and hell be gone in two more years anyway.

BamaNation All-American

The fact that Coach Saban is giving this serious consideration speaks volumes for how talented Black must be...

Really?
    It was hoped that Duron Carter could play this season, and he reportedly was clearly the top receiver when he practiced.
    Chris Black was expected to have a shot at starting this year as a true freshman, but a preseason injury has kept him out thus far.
    Deandre White was lost for the year earlier.
    Kenny Bell might not be able to play again this year.

I'm not really sure what you want, or how many scholarships you expect a team to have, but if you have four guys on the field practicing and all look good enough to start... and not one of them was available in the latter portion of the Auburn game, you do not blame that on recruiting. The fact that Alabama has enough guys to get by speaks to how good recruiting has been thus far.

Alabama has had a ton of players leave early, if Black is such a huge talent that you can't afford to burn his redshirt, then he's such a talent that you can because he's going to leave early anyway. Redshirts do not affect eligibility, so it's three years even if you redshirt.

Quote Originally Posted by day-day View Post
    The fact that Coach Saban is giving this serious consideration speaks volumes for how talented Black must be...
    Your right , if healthy the kid is a beast.

Remember Coach Saban was gonna put AJ in if McElroy went down in the 09' National Championship Game.

Oh the irony given your screen name

In all seriousness we have been injury bug prone this year. Black was highly touted only two spots nationally below where Amari Cooper was. If Saban feels we need Black then I have no problems with it. He gets paid the big bucks to make those decisions. We recruit strong year in and out in the top 5. We will be fine.

losing Bell was huge. I wish him a speedy recovery.

totally agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    Really?
    It was hoped that Duron Carter could play this season, and he reportedly was clearly the top receiver when he practiced.
    Chris Black was expected to have a shot at starting this year as a true freshman, but a preseason injury has kept him out thus far.
    Deandre White was lost for the year earlier.
    Kenny Bell might not be able to play again this year.

I'm not really sure what you want, or how many scholarships you expect a team to have, but if you have four guys on the field practicing and all look good enough to start... and not one of them was available in the latter portion of the Auburn game, you do not blame that on recruiting. The fact that Alabama has enough guys to get by speaks to how good recruiting has been thus far.

Alabama has had a ton of players leave early, if Black is such a huge talent that you can't afford to burn his redshirt, then he's such a talent that you can because he's going to leave early anyway. Redshirts do not affect eligibility, so it's three years even if you redshirt.