Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    BamaNation First Team 12ROLL12TIDE12's Avatar

Re: Bell Injury May Lead to Emergence of Freshman WR Chris Black

Quote Originally Posted by TideMan09 View Post
    I agree 100% with ya if those two games wasn't playing for the SEC & NC..That's why all these guys come to Bama..For that chance to play for it all..So burning the RS for that chance is worth it..JMHO
    100% agree. You know Black would love the opportunity to compete in those games if he is 100% and can contribute.
    "He (Saban) brings me the Bentleys. I just put rims on them." - Scott Cochran

2. Advertisement

If he remains red shirted, does anyone see him staying in school for 4 more years? A total of 5. From what I hear, he is one that may be good enough to be 3 and done. That would only give us 2 more years to watch him play. I say if he is ready to go and contribute...Let's go win some championships!!!
    I'm a lead farmer

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Big A Re: Bell Injury May Lead to Emergence of Freshman WR Chris Black

Hated to see Bell go down, and I wish him a speedy recovery. If Chris can contribute to winning now, then burn the redshirt.
    "Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n." -- Houston Oiler head coach Bum Phillips, who played for coach Bryant

BamaNation First Team marcusroby's Avatar

This staff has recruited in such a way that traditional red shirting only seems to apply to the Qb and Oline positions. Black before the injury was right with Cooper if not ahead if that is any indication. That is from a member of the S&C staff. He won't be around 3 more years barring another injury. Not to say the others are not talented but he and Cooper are very special.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaRevT View Post
    Hated to see Bell go down, and I wish him a speedy recovery. If Chris can contribute to winning now, then burn the redshirt.
    Chris better be very good given that he has not played in an actual down for an entire year and then would trot out for the SECCG. Hard to think about a comparable situation. Gary Rutledge came back for the '75 Orange Bowl but he was a senior, and still not healed.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln osiris View Post
    If he remains red shirted, does anyone see him staying in school for 4 more years? A total of 5. From what I hear, he is one that may be good enough to be 3 and done. That would only give us 2 more years to watch him play. I say if he is ready to go and contribute...Let's go win some championships!!!
    Amari Cooper would be close to a 1st round pick now, after his Freshman year, if he was eligible. So hypothetically if Black is as good as Cooper, he could leave for the 2015 draft instead of the 2016 if he was redshirted. Play 2 more instead of 3 more seasons with a burnt shirt......if he end's up NFL 1st round talent.

Both Cooper and Black would eligible for the same draft if he plays. But if he's that good, like Coop, I would be happy with 2 more years. And the fact that coach Saban is considering playing him as a freshman, at the end of the season speaks volumes about his abilities.

Edit: A redshirt sophomore is eligible for the draft. 3 years out of HS, college or no college.
    Last edited by CapstoneTider; November 26th, 2012 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    Amari Cooper would be close to a 1st round pick now, after his Freshman year, if he was eligible. So hypothetically if Black is as good as Cooper, he could leave for the 2015 draft instead of the 2016 if he was redshirted. Play 2 more instead of 3 more seasons with a burnt shirt......if he end's up NFL 1st round talent.

Both Cooper and Black would eligible for the same draft if he plays. But if he's that good, like Coop, I would be happy with 2 more years. And the fact that coach Saban is considering playing him as a freshman, at the end of the season speaks volumes about his abilities.
    I thought redshirts had nothing to do with draft eligibility? You can enter the draft as a redshirt sophomore.

A side issue but still on topic: why have we not seen much of Woodson? Is speed the issue, or lack of need (until now)?

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    I thought redshirts had nothing to do with draft eligibility? You can enter the draft as a redshirt sophomore.
    You are correct. I guess it's rare because players of that talent usually play as true freshman.

wikipedia

Eligibility

Football players who have been out of high school for at least three years are eligible for the NFL draft. The rules do not state that a player must attend college, but virtually all of the players selected in the NFL draft played college football. A year as a redshirt player in college counts toward eligibility even though the player was not allowed to participate in games during that year. Therefore players who have completed their redshirt sophomore year can enter the NFL draft. A few players are also selected from other football leagues like the Arena Football League or the Canadian Football League.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    Chris better be very good given that he has not played in an actual down for an entire year and then would trot out for the SECCG. Hard to think about a comparable situation. Gary Rutledge came back for the '75 Orange Bowl but he was a senior, and still not healed.

A good example is Yeldon coming out and having a huge game in the Jerry Dome. He was a baby compared to everyone else and had a great performance. You never know how these kids will do, I hope he would have the same experience in his first game.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation First Team Im_on_dsp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    You can enter the draft as a redshirt sophomore.
    That's a little misleading. You can enter the draft AFTER completion of the season so technically only a redshirt JUNIOR can enter the draft. In the history of the draft, how many receivers have gone to the pros after only two full seasons under their belt? Is Black so good that he would be a first round pick after just two years? My guess is that he practices and dresses for the last two games but only plays if someone else goes down.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by shottistyeti View Post
    A side issue but still on topic: why have we not seen much of Woodson? Is speed the issue, or lack of need (until now)?
    I think I've read recently that Woodson is banged up - can anybody confirm this?

As far as Black playing, it probably depends on how he practices this week. It might be tough for him to get used to being hit, after going so long without it. But I'd be all for burning the redshirt if he looks good in practice, and if he's needed.
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." - Alan K. Simpson

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Bell Injury May Lead to Emergence of Freshman WR Chris Black

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    AJ will need as many targets as he can get. I do not think we will beat Georgia by running the football.
    I don't see why not!
    ROLL TIDE!