Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Re: Bell Injury May Lead to Emergence of Freshman WR Chris Black

What's the deal with Eddie Williams? I could have swore I seen him on the field after the forth game. Is he just a great athlete who really can't find a position like Blake Sims was the past few years? EW was one of the players i was sure to see on the field a ton this season. Both he and Landon Collins but neither have done much. I know Collins plays on special teams but I figured he would work his self into the defensive rotation by mid-season. My how times have changed, could you have imagined pre-Saban; two guys like Collins and Eddie Williams struggling to hit the field.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

If he is healthy and can contribute, we have to consider it. This isn't burning a RS to play 3-4 snaps in a cupcake game, it's for championships. Everything should be on the table.

The real question is how well does he know the offense.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I think our tight ends will become more involved in the next 2 games

Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post
    I think our tight ends will become more involved in the next 2 games
    I knew Brad Smelley was important. He may have been just as valuable as Trent Richardson last season. We really need another guy like him. How many key third downs did that guy convert last season. If he could have came back this season, we would have been a lot better.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by thetwonewguru View Post
    I knew Brad Smelley was important. He may have been just as valuable as Trent Richardson last season. We really need another guy like him. How many key third downs did that guy convert last season. If he could have came back this season, we would have been a lot better.
    He became a big factor post November 5. I think the tape showed how open he was and not identified.

Quote Originally Posted by Im_on_dsp View Post
    In the history of the draft, how many receivers have gone to the pros after only two full seasons under their belt? Is Black so good that he would be a first round pick after just two years? My guess is that he practices and dresses for the last two games but only plays if someone else goes down.
    I'm not sure that is the point here. The point is that no matter what he could leave after three years. Burning his redshirt only matters if he would both be able to stay, and contribute for five years. Otherwise there is absolutely no down side to playing him.

If he's ready or needed is another issue, but as I said before, if he's so good you don't want to burn his redshirt, then it probably doesn't matter...

Quote Originally Posted by Im_on_dsp View Post
    That's a little misleading. You can enter the draft AFTER completion of the season so technically only a redshirt JUNIOR can enter the draft. In the history of the draft, how many receivers have gone to the pros after only two full seasons under their belt?
    Larry Fitzgerald, for one.

Quote Originally Posted by jenk56 View Post
    Looking at commits for 2013, where is the top end receiver? If we keep that RS on Black then there is no pressure to persue anyone (I know Robert Foster is hot).

For all the speed junkies Ch Jones and Cy Jones are plenty fast enough to get behind defenders.

I don't agree with burning a RS for two games for a guy as talented as C Black, sorry guys. But CNS knows best.

I think our recent success and the possibility of perhaps playing in 3 out of the last 4 BCSNCGs is spoiling us a little.

To have the opportunity to play for a championship is so rare, even for the traditional powers. It is so hard to get there and usually takes a little luck.

Therefore, if playing Black will help us beat Georgia it is worth it for him and CNS because if we beat Georgia I think we are all in agreement that we've got the inside track to #15 against ND.

But I do agree that CNS knows best and he's the one debating it right now. We will see. Roll Tide brother!

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I bet he plays. Worst case, he plays in two games this year, two years more, and then goes pro. Best case, he plays and contributes and stays with us for three more years.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Saban has always played guys who can help the team win today over saving them to win next season. I believe he burned several redshirts late on his '03 LSU championship squad and people were scratching their heads at the time. Saban really changed the paradigm in that regard and it is partly why he is so successful in recruiting. I believe some of those guys who "lost their redshirt" ended up contributing a good deal in the SECCG and Sugar Bowl.

I'd hate for Chris Black to play and not have the ball come his way, but if he is one of the 4-5 best WRs today then he's got to play. We have no control over future titles, so there is simply no reason to control the roster in that fashion. We do have control over a title this season and we must control the roster as such. If he comes in and catches one ball...it is worth it. We need the threat of an over-the-top burner on the field and other than Cooper we lack that threat...and Cooper will draw too much attention to do the things White or Bell can as "the other guy."

White going down was sufferable because Bell emulated most of the things he brought to the offense. Bell and White down calls for another pure speed threat for the gadget plays and play actions.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by thetwonewguru View Post
    What's the deal with Eddie Williams? I could have swore I seen him on the field after the forth game. Is he just a great athlete who really can't find a position like Blake Sims was the past few years? EW was one of the players i was sure to see on the field a ton this season. Both he and Landon Collins but neither have done much. I know Collins plays on special teams but I figured he would work his self into the defensive rotation by mid-season. My how times have changed, could you have imagined pre-Saban; two guys like Collins and Eddie Williams struggling to hit the field.
    Williams got to campus as a WR. Then, Jarrick Williams got injured and Dixon left campus. With those two departures in the secondary, Eddie had to switch to DB. I think it was too late in camp for him to pick up enough information to get playing time.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Saban has always played guys who can help the team win today over saving them to win next season. I believe he burned several redshirts late on his '03 LSU championship squad and people were scratching their heads at the time. Saban really changed the paradigm in that regard and it is partly why he is so successful in recruiting. I believe some of those guys who "lost their redshirt" ended up contributing a good deal in the SECCG and Sugar Bowl.

I'd hate for Chris Black to play and not have the ball come his way, but if he is one of the 4-5 best WRs today then he's got to play. We have no control over future titles, so there is simply no reason to control the roster in that fashion. We do have control over a title this season and we must control the roster as such. If he comes in and catches one ball...it is worth it. We need the threat of an over-the-top burner on the field and other than Cooper we lack that threat...and Cooper will draw too much attention to do the things White or Bell can as "the other guy."

White going down was sufferable because Bell emulated most of the things he brought to the offense. Bell and White down calls for another pure speed threat for the gadget plays and play actions.
    This is an excellent post and I agree with every word of it...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Saban just implied in his Monday presser that Black will play. We need him as we are thin at WR when considering rotation due to fatigue or formation.

I am with Saban. As said we need him NOW. If he can contribute and is healthy than he should play.
    Last edited by BAMA JAMMA; November 26th, 2012 at 12:28 PM.